Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
I'm not a Korean Martial artist but the one thing I noticed was you loose sight of your target. Your leg extends and you are turning your head away so that you can no longer see what you are kicking at.

Just 2 cents.

That's because I don't have a target. But I can pick one and turn my face away. Don't find that very hard.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
how well do I kick compared to an average student? I would think I'm better than average, because flexible students aren't necessarily mastering forward momentum, twist and snap.

I have seen guys doing the splits who can't get much power or snap out of their sidekicks.

There are areas for improvement. Kicking upwards from the chamber is a big no in ITF because you lose the ability to put the mass behind the kick and your body must be in a line behind the kicking tool.

Have a look at this video for some pointers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3NxtBRYPZM He starts by discussing the alignment and why its important.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Prototype wrote:
how well do I kick compared to an average student? I would think I'm better than average, because flexible students aren't necessarily mastering forward momentum, twist and snap.

I have seen guys doing the splits who can't get much power or snap out of their sidekicks.

There are areas for improvement. Kicking upwards from the chamber is a big no in ITF because you lose the ability to put the mass behind the kick and your body must be in a line behind the kicking tool.

Have a look at this video for some pointers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3NxtBRYPZM He starts by discussing the alignment and why its important.

That's only due to the unnatural height, stretching the limits of my flexibility.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Prototype wrote:

Kicking upwards from the chamber is a big no in ITF because you lose the ability to put the mass behind the kick and your body must be in a line behind the kicking tool.

There is no ITF stipulation which direction the kick should travel.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda confused... You asked if you kick like a TKD student, but tend to argue against those who practice TKD and say you need to work on things?

There was a post a week or so ago about sparring/coaches opinion on sparring with particular ranks that went the same way.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I'm kinda confused... You asked if you kick like a TKD student, but tend to argue against those who practice TKD and say you need to work on things?

There was a post a week or so ago about sparring/coaches opinion on sparring with particular ranks that went the same way.

He made a factual claim. Show me where in the ITF encyclopedia it states which direction the side kick should travel.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I'm not TKD either, even though during my high school days I did cross-trained in TKD for 1 year, but GM Young Ik Suh taught us that a TKD side kick went, well, to the side; quite similar to a Shindokan side kick.

GM Suh also noted that ones eyes should remain towards the target at all times; quite similar to Shindokan.

If your instructor has taught you to kick in the manner that you do, then adhere to that. If you've modified it, yet kept it effective, due to a medical issue, that I'd adhere to as well.

Has your instructor seen the way you execute said kick, and if so, what was his/her opinion?? After all, your instructors opinion should be the only opinion worth it's salt.

Having watched your video several times, this is my opinion...

*You do have a 4 count chamber...up, out, back, and down...not an issue.
*Your supporting foot does turn away from the kicking foot, which tells me that your side kick is more of a thrust, and not a snap, which is not an issue because you did say "Side Kick" and not if it was a thrust or a snap. If direction isn't important, than by all means, just call the kick, any kick, just a kick.

I noticed...
*Your eyes are diverted away from the target...this, to me is an issue.
*Your side kick, to me, by the manner of which you execute your side kick is more like a thrusting back kick and not a side kick. This is due to the manner of which your chamber is dictated, and to me, your chamber is dictating a back kick.

Unconventional?!?! I don't know what that really means in the MA!! Well, I don't!! Why? Semantics!! Whether its unconventional or not is meaningless, as long as it's effective across the board consistently!!

Bruce said it the best...

“Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own”

I wholeheartedly concur with Bruce's expression!!

Imho!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:

To the bold type above...

That's because they're beginners; beginners lack power!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

He made a factual claim. Show me where in the ITF encyclopedia it states which direction the side kick should travel.

I would refer you to pages 25 to 33 of volume 4 of the encyclopedia which details the side kick extensively. My sources also include the various ITF IIC and ITS courses I've been on including with the current technical director of the ITF.

Your welcome to take my advice or leave it. You asked about your kick from an ITF a perspective and I have given mine. For what it's worth I have won international medals in patterns, sparring and breaking and am currently national coach for my country. If you were one of my squad I'd be giving you the same advice. As it stands your kick is not technical by ITF standards.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I would refer you to pages 25 to 33 of volume 4 of the encyclopedia which details the side kick extensively. My sources also include the various ITF IIC and ITS courses I've been on including with the current technical director of the ITF.

Your welcome to take my advice or leave it. You asked about your kick from an ITF a perspective and I have given mine. For what it's worth I have won international medals in patterns, sparring and breaking and am currently national coach for my country. If you were one of my squad I'd be giving you the same advice. As it stands your kick is not technical by ITF standards.

A heavy amount of black belts kick with legs bent, never mind direction. By that standard, most TKD black belt students don't meet the criteria and should have their belts revoked. Do you support that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: