Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Do I tell my karate teacher I'm joining a Bjj school ins Reply with quote

johnmc wrote:
I have been at my Karate/Eskrima school for 6 years and have attained 2nd degree black. I attend regularly and additionally have a weekly private lesson with my sensei. There are 2 martial arts schools in my smallish to medium sized town, the other being BJJ. I have recently joined this BJJ school and intend to quit my Karate/Eskrima school. The question is should I tell my sensei that I'm leaving his school to join the other, Bjj school. This may hurt his feeling, anger, disappoint him or something of this nature. Or should I just leave without telling him about the joining. I want to do the appropriate thing here.

If I was the instructor teaching Karate/Eskrima and I had a student tell me they were leaving to train in BJJ I wouldn't take it personally, I would just figure that BJJ is more their thing and so that's what they should pursue. I would know that Karate and Eskrima aren't for everybody and if BJJ works better for a particular student than they should do that instead, just as BJJ isn't for everybody and there might be students who quit BJJ in favor of Karate and Escrima. That's just me though, I can't speak for your instructor as everybody reacts differently.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I tell my karate teacher I'm joining a Bjj school ins Reply with quote

XtremeTrainer wrote:
johnmc wrote:
I have been at my Karate/Eskrima school for 6 years and have attained 2nd degree black. I attend regularly and additionally have a weekly private lesson with my sensei. There are 2 martial arts schools in my smallish to medium sized town, the other being BJJ. I have recently joined this BJJ school and intend to quit my Karate/Eskrima school. The question is should I tell my sensei that I'm leaving his school to join the other, Bjj school. This may hurt his feeling, anger, disappoint him or something of this nature. Or should I just leave without telling him about the joining. I want to do the appropriate thing here.

If I was the instructor teaching Karate/Eskrima and I had a student tell me they were leaving to train in BJJ I wouldn't take it personally, I would just figure that BJJ is more their thing and so that's what they should pursue. I would know that Karate and Eskrima aren't for everybody and if BJJ works better for a particular student than they should do that instead, just as BJJ isn't for everybody and there might be students who quit BJJ in favor of Karate and Escrima. That's just me though, I can't speak for your instructor as everybody reacts differently.

Yeah, that's it!! The student should be able to explore the many facets of the MA quite freely without facing any type of discouragement whatsoever from anybody. If a CI take offense to a student wanting to learn another MA, then that CI is lacking from one thing or more.

Imho!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I tell my karate teacher I'm joining a Bjj school ins Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
XtremeTrainer wrote:
johnmc wrote:

Yeah, that's it!! The student should be able to explore the many facets of the MA quite freely without facing any type of discouragement whatsoever from anybody. If a CI take offense to a student wanting to learn another MA, then that CI is lacking from one thing or more.

Imho!!

Both are solid posts and solid points.

Those that discourage their students from trying other things are either worried that the student will find out they weren't being taught ineffective techniques or are worried about loosing tuition. Art "X" is never going to be for everyone. If art "Z" works better for them then it was just a matter of time before they lost interest and quit anyway.

To be a teacher is to think of your students and what is best for them. If that means letting them go then so be it. Wish them luck and shake their hand as they walk out of the door. You'd be surprised how many students will return when they realize that you not only had their best interests at heart but also it gives them a different perspective to realize that what you were teaching was effective. But then again some will not return and that is for the best as well.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
IMHO, I would tell him you're leaving at the very least. Where you go is up to you and of no business of his but after years of training I think the least you owe him is the respect of telling him your leaving.

I'm in agreement with this.

Students come and go.

I've always respected a student that told me that they were leaving, why they were leaving and/or what they were planning on doing.

What we do is not for everyone...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
IMHO, I would tell him you're leaving at the very least. Where you go is up to you and of no business of his but after years of training I think the least you owe him is the respect of telling him your leaving.

I'm in agreement with this.

Students come and go.

I've always respected a student that told me that they were leaving, why they were leaving and/or what they were planning on doing.

What we do is not for everyone...

I agree with both here because manners are everything!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: