Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this topic. My thoughts are that a student should be testing every time he steps on the floor, and that the "test" itself is more or less a "show off" day. In our dojo, tests are not set until our C.I. determines that there are enough students that are ready to move up. And from the time he announces the test date, he begins testing them unofficially. By the time the testing date arrives, they've already demonstrated what is needed to advance. The "test" itself is their chance to show everyone else that they have it. And as it was said above, disrespect or something to that effect can result in a failure.

I also agree about the rank fitting the student. For example, I am 41, and I have 2 bad knees and poor flexibility. So I'm not going to have perfect technique on every roundhouse kick, and I'm not doing anymore jump spinning crescents. There are orange belts that have perfect roundhouses and better "looking" stances, etc. So should my form be held in the same regard as theirs? I was watching the video of my Shodan test last night, and it was amazing to me to see how far I've come since then. I've improved tremendously according to my own parameters. There are others that have been able to do certain techniques better, but the growth of a student is relative. And I believe that the rank of a student should be a reflection of what that student can achieve, not what those around him are able to achieve.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is:

Do some schools test too leniently?

The short answer is yes!
We generally refer to them as McDojos' or "We-Con-You" styles, they are nothing new in any sport arena!

Look cycling, athletics, Football you name it there a section/area/group that do not always press that hard ....

Thing is do we see them as less focussed, lenient if you will, or merely a group a layer for the never going to be the next world champions?

There are leagues 1, 2 3 etc of divisions in every sport, the structure places teams or people in order of success, in order of ability, as spoken in a film one time:

There can be only one!

I've been away, preparing for a grading (Not going to say in this thread what the result was !) and took my son to his 'dojo' when I got back nothing said nothing mentioned as he walked in and I was reminded of his last grading and I compared it to the grading I had just under gone!

Massive difference

So the answer to that question for me is yes, they do, but I know the group my son trains with, they can fight so it seems to me that it works they way they want it to!
The testing to me seems best compared between the same styles and dojos, not across different styles and schools, there is no real frame of reference to compare them evenly I feel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: