Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Do you feel that Big Organizations are necessary? Reply with quote

Do you feel that belonging to a big martial arts organization is necessary to receive recognition and validation for your style? Also, on the flip side, do you think that schools that don't belong to an organization are less credible because of that fact?

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, its not nescersary, am from a small organization not a big club and I feel, like am lerning the old modern way of emty hand karate, by studying a big organisation is not necessary, I do karate then mere all forms of martial arts including muay thai knees attck in self defence.

Am in a small organisation but we won alot of medals and reputation and are still repected to even big organization.

Good Thread .

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you feel that Big Organizations are necessary? Reply with quote

Sasori_Te wrote:
Do you feel that belonging to a big martial arts organization is necessary to receive recognition and validation for your style?

No, I don't Quality of training and the background of your sensei and the system I believe are more important. The system that I study isn't that widespread, and from past experience, the organizations that were the head of it were far to political to be of any use to me. I belong to a small organization now and it seems pretty good so far. They don't interfere or ask for much, and have general guidelines for what they want you to do.

Quote:
Also, on the flip side, do you think that schools that don't belong to an organization are less credible because of that fact?

No..not at all. sure, affiliation with a large organization is nice and can give you credibility to newer students and other instructors, but again, I think your training, and your sensei's training and background are what's really important.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do you feel that Big Organizations are necessary? Reply with quote

Sasori_Te wrote:
Do you feel that belonging to a big martial arts organization is necessary to receive recognition and validation for your style?

Absolutely not! Large organizations are not necessary to validate anything, and in some cases may even devalue a system. When large orgs set standards it can be a two edged sword. While it is a good thing to have to meet a set of minimum standards, these often are not set to the high end of the spectrum, catering to the mediocre more than the excellent. Too often, expecting excellence does not make them large organisations in the first place!

They are good for recognition in a mobile society where a student may want to retain rank if they move, or might need to train in more than one geographical area. Larger organizations may also have a better infrastructure to support their schools. Things like locking in good seminars so all their schools have access to good extra training.

Quote:
Also, on the flip side, do you think that schools that don't belong to an organization are less credible because of that fact?

Again, absolutely not! Many are more credible because they refuse to limmit themselves to someones elses standards. On the other hand, there are those who don't want to meet even a low minimum standard while ripping off their students.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belonging to a big organization is like running a franchise.

It's there for standards and name recognition. But the standards aren't very high.

Independent restraunts can be A LOT better, or a lot worse.

Same for martial arts schools.

My school is independent. I refuse to let someone else tell me what to teach and what my standards should be.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. I agree with you all. I've found that organizations are too limiting for me. Fortunately for me, I met some quality folks in the martial arts arena when I lived in Phoenix and I still keep in contact with them. If I need a seminar instructor or just some friendly advice, either is usually only a phone call away. Like you Andrew Green, I refuse to pay someone else tell me what to teach and what my standards should be. Not to mention that most big organizations have way too much internal conflict for my personal taste.

Jane Doe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that belonging to big organization that dictates is bad. But belonging to a group that tries to uphold standards is good. I have studied with independents and with organizaions, it really depends on instructor. Some people just use a recognizable name to get people through door and not actually teach what they say they are. If they belonged to org you could check that.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to go with Shorin Ryu Sensei here. All of the organizations that I am familiar with are far to political in nature for me. I just want to continue learning and pass on my attained knowledge to my students. If I can do this without getting the Great GrandMaster's approval, for the bargain price of $300, for dan ranks, then so much the better. All of the organizations that I am familiar with have lined themselves up to make as much money as they can get away with.

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, My name is (Unknow), and Im 15 years old. Ive been learning karate for roughly 8 monts, 2 of those with taikyoku-ken. I first got involved in karate for the self defence aspect, but am now reaping the benefits of the fitness, confidence boosting and social aspects. I was a kohai at the (renzokenkai-do) (England - Region 15) for a while, under Sensei Dean bowels, who pushed me to get my Orange belt, which I did in November 2003. I am still training however, having train in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I amto to say that taikyoku-ken is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles I have ever seen - most other styles bypass traditional ceremony, for example washing their belts, even the majority of Japanese clubs. I have now broadened my horizons to karate, encorporating elements of Muay thai and my own style.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so which is it?
kenshukai? renzokenkai? taikyou-ken? shotokan? shotokai?

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: