Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

leo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

? which do you think is better for self defense? I have been told the modern forms of jiujitsu are better for self defense then Brazillian which tends to be geared more towards no holds barred competition. Its hard to know who to believe since both parties concider their art the best at self defense:) Or anything for that matter.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do a modern style jujitsu (small circle) and i think it would be good for self defence. ive never trained in brazilian jujitsu but it is geared more for no holds bared fighting.

Dutch
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJJ is generally taught as a sport... that isn't to say sports do not have value in self defense situations.

Self defense often boils down to instinct - if you train something often enough chances are it will become an instinctive response during times of stress (e.g., self defense situation).

The one great advantage martial grappling sports have is you don't learn to pull your punches - i.e., considerable effort and skill must be applied to gain control of the situation, and generally everything you learn you use. The concept of learning the "Death Strike" is generally considered pointless because you never get to practice it!

So if you take all that on board, find something you enjoy doing and just do it... if you become proficient in it and want a new challenge try something else. Mix and match the styles available to achieve you goals as no one style nor one instructor has all the answers.

Welcome to MMA.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I do modern Freestyle jiu jitsu which try to take the best from both worlds and works very well for street situations.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I have been told the modern forms of jiujitsu are better for self defense then Brazillian which tends to be geared more towards no holds barred competition.'

I thought Brazilian jiu jitsu was modern jiu jitsu since it's only 60 years old ? If you mean traditional, I've never done traditional jiu jitsu, only brazilian.

We don't do a lot of no holds barred training at my dojo, I guess it depends on how the dojo trains which is better for self defense.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

leo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys:)

Bon I was told this by a sensei

"Brazilian- Representative systems would be Gracie Jiujitsu, and Machado Jiujitsu.

Brazilian Jiujitsu is not a traditional or even a modern Jujutsu system. Its foundation are based on Kodokan Judo, not traditional Jujutsu, and it primary focus is on no-holds-barred tournaments, not self-defense."

I don't know how true that is. Trying to learn all I can about it:) Thanks again all for the welcome.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh,

go to bjj.org, they have a history of the art. I'm pretty sure Carlos Gracie was taught traditional jiu jitsu by a man in return for a favour his father did. He then modified this in hundreds of street fights and got 'brazilian jiu jitsu'..

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Sinbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos Gracie was taught 'jiu jitsu' by Maeda who was a high ranking judo blackbelt from the kodokan. I've heard that the reason he called it ju jitsu was because Kano (the founder of Judo) did not want him teaching judo outside Japan. So Maeda taught what he knew and called it ju jitsu. Judo today has evolved into a very different martial art from what it was in Kano's time - mainly because it has concentrated on the sporting element. However, there is still a style of Judo called Kosen Judo that concentrates mainly on groundwork and is VERY similar to Brazilian ju jitsu.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught properly, traditional Jujutsu, such as Danzan and Daito-Ryu, encompasses both ground fighting and upright striking. Many schools, in favor of self-defense over sport, never even take it to the ground; they simply hold down an opponent (arm lock or such), and finish 'em with a good hard strike. For self-defense, I'd much prefer traditional styles over the more recent BJJ.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught properly, traditional Jujutsu, such as Danzan and Daito-Ryu, encompasses both ground fighting and upright striking. Many schools, in favor of self-defense over sport, never even take it to the ground; they simply hold down an opponent (arm lock or such), and finish 'em with a good hard strike. For self-defense, I'd much prefer traditional styles over the more recent BJJ.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: