Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Journyman74
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: KARATE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Do you proudly display your Dan rank within your household? Reply with quote

1.Do you proudly display your Dan diploma in your home? Or does anybody store them away for safe keeping etc..

2.Would you consider that Dan diploma as high of value and worthy to place next to a college degree or occupational license/certificate?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the less anybody knows the better. Karate never was something to be shown off or displayed to anyone. Nothing good ever came from showing off or displaying achievements. Even those not related to martial arts. Everything karate-related is kept in the most private place that casual guests will never see. Something like a “karate vault”.

This is a reflection of the personal attitude towards involvement and interest in karate and martial arts in general, which is something kept very private and mostly secret.

Dan certificates are framed and hung on the wall of the personal home dojo, which looks like exactly like a typical dojo, but on a much smaller scale. Again, this is not a place that would ever be shown to any houseguest. It is a private place for personal training, practise and meditation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1.Do you proudly display your Dan diploma in your home? Or does anybody store them away for safe keeping etc..

Within the household?? Nope. Current Dan Rank Certificate hung in my office at my dojo. Previous Dan/Title Certificates are stored away in a locked file cabinet that's found inside of my bedroom walk-in closet.

Have I ever hung my Dan Certificates in my household before?? Yes. Having said that, from JBB to Nidan I did hang them all up as I earned them on my bedroom wall in my parents house, and yes, I lived with my parents until I earned my Sandan, and opened my own dojo. After I moved out, I stored all of my Dan/Title Certificates in that previously mentioned file cabinet, except the most current, and that hung in my dojo office. But of course, I've had to replace my file cabinets quite a few times since my Sandan days.

Quote:
2.Would you consider that Dan diploma as high of value and worthy to place next to a college degree or occupational license/certificate?

Both are earned; they've their own important places.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current rank and qualifications are hung up in my home office. but nothing in the rest of the house. I'd consider it on the same level as my university degree... took as much time and effort.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several of my certificates framed, and they are on a shelf in my basement. My kids see them, and their friends when they come over and hang out in the basement, but I didn't put them up there to show them off to my kids' friends. It was a convenient place to put them, and I didn't want them sitting in a box somewhere, and I don't have a home dojang. My wife's college and master's degrees are on the shelves, too, along with my law enforcement graduating class plaque. I do them consider them as serious achievements. I have many of my other certificates from colored belt ranks and various training certifications in a binder somewhere.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep all my belts in my gym bag. White, green, brown and black. They’re all very special to me and I like seeing them ever time I put on my gi!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all, it's ones house, and it's ones Dan Certificate; therefore, display it/them however one decides. This is a good topic, thank you for it, Journyman74.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What one does with one’s belts or certificates usually reflects one’s personality and how one was taught. It is the same things with academic diplomas or certifications. Only some categories of professionals display them or have them in a visible place because they are required to do so.

Journyman74
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: KARATE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies so far... My wife and I were re organizing our home and we were debating what to do with our martial art diplomas, suprisingly it became a pretty important topic for the both of us as we werent really sure how a Dan rank diploma traditionally should be kept. I agree with it depending on your personality which makes it quite a debatable topic lol. I also view Karate in a way to be kept as a somewhat "stealth" type of skill not to be easily let known to people; Im proud at the same that i worked hard to achieve what Ive earned as it takes just as long as earning a college degree.

That being said, I will just keep it displayed in a my man cave (no one dares to bother my man cave 😆)

ryanryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to display my rank certificates on the front wall of my home dojo and previously hung them in the spare room I used to train in. For a long time they gave me motivation and pride. I’m still proud of them, but having the rank certificates front and center felt like THAT was what I was training for, you know?

I found a better way to store them in a large format binder used for photographs. I have all the certs in there and I can flip through it if I want to stroll down memory lane. As for the front wall, I put up a sumi-e painting of a crane and am searching for one of a tiger – to capture the hard/soft Goju duality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: