Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judobrah: I'm not going to start any fighting, I just mean that I wish that they would stop with the threats and do something already because in my whole life, I've never fought one person more than once. After fights, the people involved usually try to avoid you after word and that's all I want. Believe me I hate fighting out of defense, it hurts! I just want it to be over with already but again I'm not going to be the one who starts anything. I appreciate your concern though.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better for your instructor to hear it from you than have to hear it from others.

judobrah
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i am kinda the same way too sometimes it does seems beeter to just get it over with but there are beeter ways like talking even if agressvly stay safe brah and i know that feel too

Dobie1979
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2010-Present Shorin Ryu : Shodan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kuma. Better to hear it from you then from someone else. I doubt that your teacher will give a hard time about it.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
I think the answer is yes. I'd discuss it with a core group and dissect it. Here's the thing, don't just set around and tell "it was so cool" stories, or simply high five and congratulate one another.

You really have to look at each incident as an incident debriefing. From preassault to clean up. Break it down to the minutia and each decision point that came along.

Was there a reason that things happened as they did? Did you perceive the situation correctly? Was it a proper response? Could it have gone better? Why or why not? Where there other options? Could they have worked better? how can you make the same response better next time?

You get the idea. It's a learning experience, even when it's for real.

Soild post!
If it does happen (I hope for your sake everything has by now calmed down) use it as a learning experience.
A loss is not really a loss unless it is repeated!

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell your instructor if you are in a scrap, ASAP. I tell my students to call me at home if they need to. I also tell them not to fight if at all possible.

As for your problem with bullies - this is my advice as a cop for six years and a high school teacher for twelve - try your damndest to avoid the fight, but if push comes to shove don't make jokes, laugh or look around, it makes you look weak and nervous (it's OK to be weak and nervous, but why show it). Then fight like there's no tomorrow. If it 2 or 3 guys bugging you they won't hold back or fight fair so you shouldn't either. I've seen more fights won because someone was just a little crazier than the other guy and wouldn't give up. You want to be the crazier (mentally tougher) guy. And hit hard.

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. I never keep these things a secret, especially if I dominate in the fight.

Of course, I try to avoid fights at all costs.

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tell my instructor.

I'd dread it, if I knew I could have avoided it but let my anger get the best of me, but still I would tell them.

Actually, that's helped me stay out of a potential fight. Last Christmas season there was almost an incident at Walgreens around the photo booth, haha. People started yelling and cussing and getting all worked up! My first thought was "oh no, if I get in a fight I'm going to be in so much trouble with my instructors!"

Thankfully things calmed down.

The best part is that a week or two after that incident, the woman who had been nasty to me ran into me (in a big city, no less) and apologized for her behavior. We shook hands and that was that!

If I did have to fight, however, it would most likely be a case of self defense, in which case I think my instructors would want to know what happened, and would do their best to advise me, both on how to protect myself better next time, and how to avoid the situation next time.

Besides, a couple of instructors and a number of students at my dojo are law enforcement officers... I am quite sure that if I were involved in an incident where the police got involved, they'd know before I even limped into class... heh.

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree. Tell your instructor.

newbiekata
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do Karate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Do you talk about it or not? Reply with quote

datguy wrote:
Lets say you get into a school scuffle. Nothing serious but rather an after school fight. Do you tell your instructor/sifu/trainer about it or not?

yes i would tell my school instuctor about it,i feel it would be better to tell him or her rather than not to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: