Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Do you think sparring is part of learning good self defence? Reply with quote

As there is many styles that are told to be good for learning self defence, and they go from boxing to aikido, Do you think that the style, whitch should be helping you to learn self defence, should have actual sparring in it too?

Shortly (and clearly), do you think it's impossible to learn how to defend yourself without sparring, or do you think, that it has nothing to do with that?
Of course, those were just the extremitys.
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Last edited by Soheir on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that you're talking about some form of sparring of free fighting. To me, the answer is yes, if you're talking about sd training, you need to be free training somehow as part of your regimine.

This needs to run the gambit from spontaneous attack and defend drills, to free sparring to free form defense against an armored attacker from time to time.

But yes, learing to control yourself and having the stress innoculation of being in that simulation needs to be part of training.

KarateGeorge
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shuri-te Karate, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
I'm assuming that you're talking about some form of sparring of free fighting. To me, the answer is yes, if you're talking about sd training, you need to be free training somehow as part of your regimine.

This needs to run the gambit from spontaneous attack and defend drills, to free sparring to free form defense against an armored attacker from time to time.

But yes, learing to control yourself and having the stress innoculation of being in that simulation needs to be part of training.

Well stated. While learning the techniques individually is an important first step, I think it needs to ultimately follow through to some form of free fighting training. It helps improve the ability of how to use and apply your knowledge in a constantly changing scenario like that found in a real self defense situation and train physical and mental control in the face of the stress you might encounter should you have to truly defend yourself.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do think that sparring is part of learning good self-defense. Why? Sparring as often as one breathes is vitally important to learning good self-defense. How would one know how to react to attacks and the like if one never spars, or very little? They wouldn't! They'd be like a deer staring at headlights; frozen in fear from not knowing what to do and/or from not knowing what not to do.

Spar until the wheels fall off...and after the wheels fall off...keep sparring! The more you spar, then the more aware you become when your attacker starts swinging everything, including the kitchen sink, at you with the intent to do you severe bodily harm. If you don't know what it's like to hit and what it's like to be hit; then my friend, SPAR and SPAR and SPAR and SPAR.

Learning to spar is like learning the game of chess. In chess you have your opening moves, you have your mid-game moves, you have your end moves, you have your traps, you have your blind moves, you have your stratagies, you have your hidden moves, you have your checks, and hopefully, you have your checkmate. The winner will be the one who's more prepared across the board.

Study your opponent
Study yourself
Make a plan
Carry the plan out

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controlled-contact sparring can help you keep your hands up to protect your face/head, be wary of rushing straight in (to the other guy's front kick), and develop your peripheral vision awareness.

You also learn how to move, not stand there like a punching bag, and if you're older/easily winded, as I am, economy of movement.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sparring is a very important part of learning self-defense. It teaches you to move and react in real time to a person moving and reacting to you in real time. There are some important things to learn through sparring.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sparring is a very important thing. When you first start, it's a big game of what not to do. You learn quickly that keeping your hands down is a bad idea, even if you see the higher ranking students doing it. You learn that timing and distance is much more important than speed.

I guess doing just forms, and never sparring to see the effectiveness of what you're doing would be like studying swimming in a book, watching people swim, practicing the stroke out of the water, and then never getting in to see if you could actually swim.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can learn effective self defense without sparring. For all the reasons mentioned already. Even forgetting the actual moves themselves, sparring teaches you about distance and timing and being able to look for openings and weaknesses.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I don't think you can learn effective self defense without sparring. For all the reasons mentioned already. Even forgetting the actual moves themselves, sparring teaches you about distance and timing and being able to look for openings and weaknesses.

Exactly, and not only openings and weakness's in your opponent, but in yourself as well.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a crucial part of learning self defense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: