Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the rush to get more degrees on your belt today? notice a increase in "masters" these days, much more how about"black belts" ? this is one of the many things hurting the credibility of not only taekwon do but all martial arts today. with out getting into another verbal sparring match over taekwondo not being "effective" in a "real live ,gosh darn its a sreet fight martha!!!"..what about looking for real ligitimate black belts and "masters" ...it seems to me these days that you can just order any belt or rank you want these days...example...i ran into a friend of mine who i hadnt trained with for a few years..last time i saw him we were both 3rd dan..now hes got six stripes and his students are calling him "master" i inquire how he got ahead so fast in a tacful manner (although i felt like asking who he had to pay) but i found that out anyway...turns out there is some association that amazingly enough is affiliated with the kukkiwon that has you do your requirements for rank on video...you then send it to them and they (the masters behind the scenes) they review it then they send you your certificate in the mail> bam!!! you are now a master now go and open a school and make lots of money!!! whats next..drive thru? "yeah I got a coupon, can i get a 7th dan hold the pickle"..this is the type of things that makes us look bad..this "master" will get his clock cleaned by some of my red belts....has anyone heard any similar stories?

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very well put and an interesting way of making it understood........it is true and when the instructor walks around class counting and yelling, they don't have time to show there techniques. humm, maybe there drinking diet orange soda too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what the big deal with black belt is anyway. I'm never impressed when someone tells me that they are a black belt, or a master because I've found that more often than not, that they are frauds or didn't actually earn the status. People are buying black belts from federations, others are just promoting themselves. It doesn't matter because the majority of the public are ignorant anyway. I could probably open up a school of Muay Thai, call myself a 5th degree black belt (even though there are no belts in Muay Thai) and probably draw in alot of business.
The general public has no idea of what martial arts is, and they really don't care to think about things and question it, they want to be spoon-fed techniques. This is why you see people doing the * that is being taught out there, they don't want to think about it, they just want to be told that "this is what works" when it may not. The McDojo's don't care about the safety of their students in self-defense, they just want to make a quick buck.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah... I don't give a hoot what belt i'm on except for the fact that a black belt certificate would look good in a resume when going for a security job. I sparred against one of the more experienced black belts last night and intimidated him out of attack... BAH!

Angus

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is good reading...thought i would bring it light for the new members. would love to hear some more comments.

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Aug 10, 2001 8:51pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well from what i initially wrote"its sad but its true...

mikeod
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant believe this!!!!!!! this makes me sick, mail order dans!ffs!!!!! to become a master you should train at a school for many years!!!! not just send a camcorder recording of yourself doing a few kicks and punches, i am doing my yellow belt grading tommorow and i would never consider recording what i have to do and send it off FFS!!!!!!

Bruce Lee (Li) - Enter The Dragon.

"Water is the softest substance in the world, and yet it is the hardest, it can penotrate the hardest rock or cliff, and it is insubstantial, by this i mean it c

mikeod
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i know that i was contridicting my quote

Bruce Lee (Li) - Enter The Dragon.

"Water is the softest substance in the world, and yet it is the hardest, it can penotrate the hardest rock or cliff, and it is insubstantial, by this i mean it c

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIKEOD..however; you can use the recording to see your weak and stong points to improve your performance........

btw..good luck on your test and keep us informed on your progress.

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-09-09 13:02 ]

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeod..i was about to say you need a new quote..lol yes it is a disgrace but it happens along with alot of other things...good luck on your exam..let us know how it went

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: