Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Does Shotokan have the flashiest/coolest katas? Reply with quote

I love the linear, to the point, explosive Shotokan katas. I'm curious how it's percieved among other Karate stylists - are the katas held in high regard?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I should answer this but what the heck. Sure they may have the flashiest and coolest Katas around but I don't think that is what is important.

I personally do not see value in flashy or cool looking Kata. If they are performed as they were passed down and are taught that way then they are plenty cool to me. As for flashy, I have no use for this so it never crossed my mind. Flashy to me means altered so they will win tournaments. When this happens the original context and intent is lost. What the Kata contains is more important than whether it's flashy or not.

Having said that many of the Kata I study are the Kata Shotokan studies. My only experience with Shotokan is through books and when I was a youth. I don't remember them being flashy. Maybe thinks have changed. If this is so I'm sad to hear it.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is going to have their own perspective on that, and it will also change depending on the person performing the kata. For me, you have to bear in mind that I practice Shorin-Ryu, so from my perspective Shotokan took the kata I practice and did weird things to them. Now, that is nothing against Shotokan practitioners--I am friends with a number of them, and they are dedicated, hard-training, knowledgeable people, and they are very good at Shotokan. Shotokan just doesn't look that good from a Shorin-Ryu perspective, at least to me. My opinion doesn't matter, though, to anyone but me in this regard. I hope that everyone practicing Shotokan enjoys it, and feels good about it!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
I don't remember them being flashy. Maybe thinks have changed. If this is so I'm sad to hear it.

Hmm. Wouldn't you say unsu is a flashy karate kata relative to other traditional karate styles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=73&v=4kN61Gf-cgI

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palgwe forms are fairly linear and explosive. The first few forms are kinda bland, but once you hit Saa Jang, the forms are much more interesting to watch. You'll probably see some similarities to Shotokan, too.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Palgwe forms are fairly linear and explosive. The first few forms are kinda bland, but once you hit Saa Jang, the forms are much more interesting to watch. You'll probably see some similarities to Shotokan, too.

It's not performed explosively though. But yeah, the palwe forms gets better and better. I don't like the first ones.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If flashiness and impressing an audience with a performance are what define one’s ideal of skill in karate, what one does has become a performing art, a dance show to dazzle and entertain.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Shotokan have the flashiest/coolest katas? Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
I love the linear, to the point, explosive Shotokan katas. I'm curious how it's percieved among other Karate stylists - are the katas held in high regard?

Whether the kata has or hasn't effectiveness, that's most important to me. Shotokan kata's aren't taught in Shindokan, however, I'm drawn to their kata's because of the effectiveness that strikes me most curious.

To me, Unsu is one of Shotokan's most complex kata's; it's neither cool and/or flashy to me, but more to the point, Unsu is alive, and how its transitional movements are displayed, breathtaking in its effectiveness from its start to its end.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

It's not performed explosively though. But yeah, the palwe forms gets better and better. I don't like the first ones.

We aim for explosiveness in many of our forms in my school.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

We aim for explosiveness in many of our forms in my school.

Doesn't look that way based on masters performances on youtube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: