Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems rather good. If I were you I would go to the school and get to know the director though.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be great if you could check out whether or not somebody was a certified martial arts instructor, but there is no such thing. (or so I've been informed) It's not like having a license to practice medicine or cut hair...you can't go and pay $200 for your license, because one doesn't exist!!! At least not in pennsylvania.
It's very important what the state of the school is. Stick around, watch all the classes if you can, talk to some upper belt students who have been there for awhile. Also, talk to some parents if you can. Parents (and I speak from my own teaching experience) are the quickest to point out mistakes!! Make sure you hear about the bad as well as the good
The price sounds very reasonable...close to what we pay at my studio. Make sure you read over their liability stuff...insurance, etc. It should be in the contract or whatever you sign.
The history of the school is important too. How long have they been around? Does the instructor have a second job, or does this pay all his bills (this is important because it lets you know his student count is high enough to support him. This can be good and bad. Good because you have him there all the time and you know he must be a good instructor to keep all those students. Bad because in a large school you're probably not going to get as much one-on-one instruction or attention)
Anyway, that's my HUGE blabbing about that.

One more thing: see if they offer weapons. These add depth to your training so there's always more to learn!

[ This Message was edited by: monkeygirl on 2002-05-07 11:02 ]

Bobu-san
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot the school has memberships with alot of different korean martial arts organizations

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the art is very very unified, memberships don't mean a whole lot in terms of the school's respectability. However, if it's a member of fairly mainstream organizations, that means whatever rank you have is likely to be recognized in many other places, which is obviously a good thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: