Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ChpsahoySE
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu TKD Shotokan Jujitsu Muay Thai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: does your current system allow you to train in other styles? Reply with quote

Is it frowned or looked down upon if you train another system simultaneously, while still being dedicated to your main style? is your group relaxed and open about cross training or has anyone ever been expelled from a style because of training others?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I/we allow our Student Body to train in other MA styles; we encourage it because not one style is infallible!! Cross training, imho, is an invaluable aspect of learning the MA.

After all, this isn't yesteryears where that was deeply frowned against; being eclectic wasn't sought after by any students for the fear of repercussions from their instructor and/or the Governing Body.

I was finally allowed to cross train in TKD in my high school days, but only after pestering my Sensei over and over and over, and when I had been a JBB for several years already. To even mention the likes of cross training was strictly prohibited, especially in Soke and Dai-Soke's presence, and never ever on the floor. Ever since then, I've crossed trained without any regrets, and if I can cross train, then by and by, so can my Student Body. Once our Governing Body saw the logic in cross training, they never ever said a word against that; to learn is to grow.

Bulldawg
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Uechi-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a true beginner (not just someone starting a new style) should be lightly discouraged from it until they have a basic understand of the particular style.

Simply from a learning aspect, it seems there would be a risk of information overload.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common sense from a teacher to me would say to learn one style sufficiently enough first before exploring other ones.

As it is a journey of learning, wherby giving a system the adequate amount of time and attention to learn properly is needed.

Training in different styles can be or seem contradictory in the moment as methods and techniques can be very difficult to understand, as well seeming confusing.

As for round house kicks can be different from one style to another, where each considers theirs to be right and all others to be not as right as their own

A system should be when a set of something fit together, ie

imagine trying to mix Lego (R) with Maccano (R) building games they don't work together but it is still possible to build things with both but separately, with one not being better than the other, where constructive ideas can be explored separately.

My personal problem became apparent when using Wing Chun in a karate tournament, as what I was doing didn't score points.

Learning that...
Therfore it is in the combative competitive arena depending on the ground rules either (karate, Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, UFC) will not be scoring or getting disqualified, where kicking, choke holds or throwing will definitely depend on the rules of the match.

In the past it has often been said that when training in many styles and or systems will lead to becoming a Master of none.

This view however is becoming outdated with many martial artists cross training in many different disciplines from stand up to grappling where aiming to become a more rounded player or fighter.

Pointing being that it is a choice for each individual to decide whether sticking to one system or mixing them up.

Hopefully their are more opinions to be made here on this very intersting topic, as I am just touching on a far larger picture that is out there.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if a person is inclined to learn a few systems at a time, then do it. Take your time, and grade when you feel you are capable of doing so in each.

I look at it this way: in school, we never spend time learning one subject until we are good at it, and then move onto the next. We spend time on languages, and math, and social studies/history, etc. We tend to do alright with that. I think it is entirely possible to do with physical training, as well. How many kids play different sports throughout the year without any issues? Plenty.

I would caution that when learning more than one style that it would be beneficial for the two styles to have as little crossover as possible. For instance, learning TKD and Tang Soo Do is probably more detrimental than it is helpful. But learning one of these styles along side Judo or BJJ or Wrestling would be more beneficial, as you're covering two distinctly different aspects of fighting. Not that you couldn't spend time learning both TKD and TSD, but the likelihood of mixing up miniscule differences between the two is high, thus frustrating both instructors. But, you could try it. I just think it would be a better use of your time to go with a stand-up style and a ground style.

I think each instructor varies on their stance in regards to this. Some instructors are very possessive of their students, and would like for them to instead of doing 2 days a week to two different styles, would rather they spend 4 days a week with them. Other instructors are insecure to the point that the student may find the favor the other style, and fear losing the student. I see why an instructor could feel that way (be it right or wrong).

I know my previous instructor was not a fan of it. However, he is not around right now, and I feel kind of like I'm in instructor limbo. I view the current CI at our school more as a peer than an instructor. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or the inclination to put into training in another style right now, so its a moot point for me.

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.5 years into training I started dual training another similar karate style. My original instructor was not okay with it (its been 1 yr now). I highly doubt I will ever achieve Shodan under him. I am a high motivated respectful student and love my new dojo as well. I learn a lot, I practice a lot, martial arts is a way of life for me.

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely. It is even encouraged. Everything that makes you a better fighter and challenges you is good from a Kyokushin point of view.

Wamp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ashihara Karate, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think so with Ashihara being about real world self defense sceneries. We don’t really discuss other styles much ( it’s hard enough for me to understand Japanese during the lessons anyways so I don’t get a good chance to talk with the guys) I do know that everyone in my dojo has a back ground in either Kendo or Judo because those are middle school sports here.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sensei encouraged students to take advantage of seminars, regardless of style. Active cross-training in another art he encouraged once students reached brown belt--before that, you tend to have students blending things too much, too soon, and they don't make very good progress in either art.

The organization didn't care, unless you were visiting Okinawa, and then all training outside of the organization honbu dojo was forbidden.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We allow all our students to cross train in any style of martial art.

To us it would be too restrictive on a persons growth, and rather controlling of us to go "No you must only train with us".

We have a few people that do cross train either in multiple styles of Karate or other MA, and they have always been open to sharing that knowledge with us if we didn't already do it or know it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: