Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Does your TKD school use the "Saju" drills? Reply with quote

I had never heard of Saju Jirugi, Saju Makgi or Saju Tulgi until I got the TKD Encyclopedia set by Gen. Choi. Does you school use them for teaching white belts? Do you find any advantages over using just Chon Ji for teaching the basics and turning?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we use them. Saju Tulgi isn't an official ITF one though or at least it tends to be non-examinable. Typically most schools will stick to Saju Jirugi and Saju Makgi.

I don't really know whether they offer any advantages over Chon Ji at white belt level tbh. I always saw them as a bit of a filler at that stage. I suppose the difference between them and Chon Ji is that in the 4-direction exercises you're stepping with the back leg to make the turn whereas in Chon Ji it's the front leg all the time.

Most of the time people in our school will double grade the 1st two belts so they'll learn Chon Ji straight away anyway. I suppose the saju exercises are a bit easier to learn because you only ever move one foot at a time but other than that I never saw their benefit at white belt level.

Having said that, 4 directional exercises are great when you want to practice specific techniques but don't have much room. Keeping the same "step back - step forward - turn" format, you can swap the blocks and punches and even stances for other techniques of your choosing. Can also do 4 directional kicking drills. Maybe that's why we teach them to white belts? So they have a compact framework to practice future techniques on.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Having said that, 4 directional exercises are great when you want to practice specific techniques but don't have much room. Keeping the same "step back - step forward - turn" format, you can swap the blocks and punches and even stances for other techniques of your choosing. Can also do 4 directional kicking drills. Maybe that's why we teach them to white belts? So they have a compact framework to practice future techniques on.

I never thought of it this way, but that is an excellent point, and one I'll remember now. Especially the 4 direction kicking. That'll work great in the basement where I practice at home.

Thanks, Danielle!

pdbnb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Sanju Makgi and Sanju Jirugi, they're my grading patterns for 9th Kup. Never heard of Sanju Tulgi (doesn't 'tul' just refer to a pattern, e.g. 'Do-San tul'? Either that or it's the number two in Korean :p )

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them before, but they look like variations on what we do during methods of exercise when the class is crowded and we have to do moves in place. Do look like good exercises to work on technique.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdbnb wrote:
We use Sanju Makgi and Sanju Jirugi, they're my grading patterns for 9th Kup. Never heard of Sanju Tulgi (doesn't 'tul' just refer to a pattern, e.g. 'Do-San tul'? Either that or it's the number two in Korean :p )

No, not the same, that I can tell. Saju Tulgi is 4-direction thrust, used to practice the elbow strike that is done in Hwa Rang.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tulgi = thrust

I don't think saju tulgi tends to be practiced as much as the other two.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Tulgi = thrust

I don't think saju tulgi tends to be practiced as much as the other two.
I don't even recall seeing it in the 15 volume Encyclopedia, to be honest with you. Anslow's book were the first place I saw that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: