Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Dog Attack Reply with quote

I'm not sure why stupid/ridiculous/fantastical/unbelievable/terrible things always happen to me, but that pretty much seems to be the case. I've lived in my new apartment for all of 2 days, and been forced to extinguish a large animal. We'll start from the beginning.

This entire apartment complex is pretty nice, and if you live on ground level (as I do) you get a small, fenced in yard area. Most of the people that live around me are under 40 and work a standard 9-5 job, aren't loud, and are in general clean and orderly people. Of course, the one jerk in the entire place lives right next to me. A wooden fence separates my yard from his and while my yard is still pretty empty, his has two large dogs.

Today, I came home and was moving some stuff in, and the weather was pretty nice so I left the door that leads to my yard open. I'd apparently left the screen door open too, but that shouldn't have been a big deal. Unbeknownst to me however, my door being open would allow entry to one of the dogs who had apparently dug a dog-sized hole underneath the fence.

So, here I am, in the bedroom unpacking, and I hear something hit the screen door. Knowing that all of my firearms are still packed across the hallway, I grab my $15 Gerber machete and go to investigate. I've investigated thousands of mystery sounds over my lifetime, and until today they've all turned out to either be nothing or something insignificant. That wasn't the case today.

There it was, standing in my living room. Large and brown with big white teeth...a freaking pit bull. He seemed agitated. Running wasn't an option, and my dog skills are a bit lacking, so talking it down was out. I decided just to wait this one out, perhaps he'd politely leave. He apparently decided to charge me instead.

This is the part where training came into play. I stepped back with my left foot, putted my head back, and swung that cheap piece of steel as hard as I could with an "oh crap" swing.

There are two lessons to be learned here. 1) Contrary to popular belief, a dog makes a lousy guard given that the person he's attacking is armed. 2) Escrima cross-training paired with a certain level of paranoia pays big dividends in the right circumstances.

Incidents like this make me particularly happy for my training, and re-affirm my belief that morons shouldn't be allowed to own anything.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit bulls are a friendly breed, when not owned by morons. Usually people with mean ones abuse their animals.

The owner should be arrested for criminal stupidity, if only there were such a crime.

Also, people were shot in Effingham a couple days ago. These things happen, so yes, paranoia can be good.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This amounted to the most bizarre/amazing text message i have ever recieved in my life!!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dog Attack Reply with quote

Oh my. What's going on with the followup on this?

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th front office of the complex cited the guy for having a hole under the fence, overgrowth in his yard, not pickup up his dog waste, having dogs without collars, and a few other things.

I contacted the authorities, and they explained the situation to the neighbor and outright said that if any crime was committed it was by him, and that they'd take a statement, but otherwise the situation seemed to be taken care of.

From what I understand, the neighbor wasn't real thrilled that I removed Fido's skull cap, and had the hole filled in by the time I got home from work today.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Pit bulls are a friendly breed, when not owned by morons. Usually people with mean ones abuse their animals.

This is true. It is also important for dog owners to know the temperment of their dogs, and manage them accordingly. We have a Boxer who is great with our kids and family, but doesn't care for anyone else all that much. So, we make sure our fence is sound, and when people come over in the daytime, we kennell him. We usually leave him out of the kennell at night, for obvious reasons.

LiverPunch: what a crazy deal. Good thing you had your blade and that training. I hope the rest of your time in your knew apartment isn't so exciting for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: