Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

I do kickboxing and there is a karate class that is also part of the same organisation(SAMA Organisation). Do you think I would benefit from vdoing this karate and kickboxing or shall I just stick with what I got. Take in mind I love to fight and it is my favourate sport and hobbie.

THX IN RETURN

van_damme
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I been thinking about doin TKD and i already do kung fu,and i was evan thinking about doing tai boxing but i thought 3 would be to many so im gonna do 2.I think it will be fine if you do 2 arts.

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yow i think you should do as many MA's as you can so that you can become the best rounded fighter as you can.........?!

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you studied kickboxing? I've found with languages (and most other types of mental training, at least), that focusing on one thing til you're proficient is preferable to going in two directions at once.

Maybe it's a good idea, maybe not. Just make sure you don't overextend yourself.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessone makes a good point, although having done judo and karate I wish I'd done both together as each really helped in my study of the other.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking TKD, but I was also thinking about Judo. There is a club (judo) right down the road from my TKD school. What do you guys/gals think of this combo?

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a lot of experience with one martial art I wouldn't recommend training in another. I think until you are proficient in one style you shouldn't start another. Quality not quantity is a rule to live by in martial arts.

Pete

Shoto Tiger
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Withers M.A.A. in the respect of some experience in one before you do another. It depends on the person too. Some people can do 2 or 3 some can't. I am doing Shotokan and Self Defence (using Shotokan related manouvers) with the same organisation and I get graded for both in the same grading. Its part of their syllabus.

I also do Arnis, but thats not graded (as yet!) but I have only been doing it for a couple of weeks. I struggle a little with the Arnis, I suppose because all my previous training has been in empty hand techniques, I just do it for fun at the moment.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted on this before somewhere. I think its ok once yo make black belt in one style. Once you have an understanding of a base are by all means look arround and mix and match. However if your new to the game and are being taught differant things at differant schools I think it may harm more than it hurts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many styles and even instructors within a particular style contradict each other. Without some sort of sold base and knowledge this will just confuse the beginner student. It may make you frustrated or just totally confused. One instrutor will tell you to do this for this reason and the other one will tell you not to do that and for that reason. Until you have knowledge enough to be open minded and know there is no right or wrong way per say to do a tech. or no ultimate tech. and you can take both instrutors imputs to make one tech. that works for YOU.

So stick with one style for a while and when you are very confident with that then you can try others.

Pete

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: