Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bobd400
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenpo Wing chun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Welcome to the Forum!

Yeah I used to do that all the time! but then I realised that I can just train outside and has way more space

I am fortunate enough to have a lot of land . I made a level spot out the front of the house with the tractor , so its fairly large ( no Mum or Wife to complain about carving up the garden ) it soon got covered with grass . Now I call it ' The Circle of Death '

The last 12 years , our 'club training ' on the weekend has been in a public park in town . It seems to have become popular , now the local aikido club trains there on the same day .

Outside training is the go ! Much more to offer ; being aware of a much larger 'field' / environment , yet not being distracted by it , uneven ground and correct footwork ( for outdoors, that is - dont try doing what you learned to do on a smooth gym floor when outdoors ) , tactics (like maneuvering another into uneven ground , or so they have the sun in their eyes, etc ) . Weather can be an issue , sometimes we evacuated the park and went and trained in a nearby covered car park .

This is sort of the conclusion I came to. I have a space in my basement that's about 10 by 10 but being 6' tall and a rather large guy that only allows enough for maybe 2-3 steps. So when it's really bad weather I can train there, But I think I'm going to have to start training outside particularly as I start to work more forms.

Of course I'm going to have some interesting times come winter!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Welcome to the Forum!

Yeah I used to do that all the time! but then I realised that I can just train outside and has way more space

I am fortunate enough to have a lot of land . I made a level spot out the front of the house with the tractor , so its fairly large ( no Mum or Wife to complain about carving up the garden ) it soon got covered with grass . Now I call it ' The Circle of Death '

The last 12 years , our 'club training ' on the weekend has been in a public park in town . It seems to have become popular , now the local aikido club trains there on the same day .

Outside training is the go ! Much more to offer ; being aware of a much larger 'field' / environment , yet not being distracted by it , uneven ground and correct footwork ( for outdoors, that is - dont try doing what you learned to do on a smooth gym floor when outdoors ) , tactics (like maneuvering another into uneven ground , or so they have the sun in their eyes, etc ) . Weather can be an issue , sometimes we evacuated the park and went and trained in a nearby covered car park .

We train at the park every now and again, and love it. But I love seeing the reaction of students when it starts raining, but you can see differences between attitudes real quick.

The last time we did, came down hard and a few of us Black Belts just laughed and said "perfect time for some kumite"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: