Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

brennan the rabbit
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: wing chun goju ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: doing multiple arts Reply with quote

im a wing chun practiconer for over 3 years but my first martial arts was goju ryu karate im thinking about practicing it again to help my martial arts is this a good idea or bad

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd like to welcome you, brennan the rabbit, to KF; glad that you're here!!

Ok...you've trained in both goju and WC, and now you're wanting to return to goju. Why not? How much experience in each? Irregardless, you should do what it is that you want to do, no matter what anyone might think/say; it's your MA journey, and yours alone!!

I asked about your experience in either because I was wondering which base/core is the strongest. If they're equal, than you can utilize them at will, however, one will be the core and the other will not be the core. One you'll depend on more while the other not so much. However, if they're not equal, one will be your core style, and it'll be that one which will show itself first, and often.

I've crossed trained ever since I was a JBB in Shindokan, and in that, Shindokan is my core, and the other styles that I've learned, are there for me to use at my discretion, albeit, Shindokan will lead the party.

Multiple arts depends, imho, on the maturity of the practitioner as both a MAist and as an individual!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always a good idea as long as you can put the time and effort into both. As you will progress if you do both

brennan the rabbit
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: wing chun goju ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the replys sensai 8 i practiced gojuryu for 2 years before than i was away for 4 years so i ended up practicing wing chun for 3 years and 3 months i miss karate but i dont want to leave wing chun i think that both arts have benfits

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brennan the rabbit wrote:
thank you for the replys sensai 8 i practiced gojuryu for 2 years before than i was away for 4 years so i ended up practicing wing chun for 3 years and 3 months i miss karate but i dont want to leave wing chun i think that both arts have benfits

Would you agree that, from what you've posted here, that WC is your core per the time spent training in it, as well as it being more fresh within your muscle memory.

Whereas, goju wouldn't be your core, but more of an addendum; with that having only trained shorter than WC, and it also being 4 years since you've trained in goju!

If you are wanting to do both, then by all means, do it as you desire. And you're absolutely correct when you say "that both arts have benefits", and in that, imho, no one has the right to correct that which it is that you believe.

At times, both WC and Goju will show up AT THE VERY SAME TIME in order to defend you, your family, and/or you're friends. As Bruce Lee beautifully said...

"I do not hit, 'it' hits by itself"!!

As muscle memories are defined as well as it is perfected, as perfect as one could hope for, within you, WC and Goju AND whatever else might be within you, you won't consciously decide as to which you'll use because 'it' hits all by itself. Years of dedicated training helps one to achieve this milestone, but it's within you right now...you just have to bring it out...that takes time!!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time and can manage both commitments absolutely go for it. It will only make you a more complete martial artist.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To brennan the rabbit

Why go back go Karate after learning Wing Chun for three years?

Could it be that you would like to test drive your Wing Chun on a Dojo floor?

Or isn't Wing Chun practice fulfilling your needs any longer?

I'm very curious why you feel the need to switch back to karate or cross train with Wing Chun?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: