Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

octopic
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Karate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Dojo advertising Reply with quote

There is a dojo in my city that does a lot of advertising via posters and leaflets. They will basically leave a pile of their ads in any establishment that will let them. Now, I don't have a problem with a dojo doing advertising. It is, after all, a business, and they do need to make money. The problem I have is that they'll put up posters and leave leaflets in stores right next to other dojos. Personally, I think that this is disrespectful. I would tend to think that one dojo should not do that kind of advertising in the same shopping center as another dojo. The reason for this post is that I want to see what people on here think. Am I totally off base? Thanks.

Hybrid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, someone looking to get into martial arts might find this helpful, ya know? Being able to get two or more options without having to shop at every store. As long as the second dojo isn't "pushing aside" (literally) the others, and they have the store owners permission, I don't really see the problem.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, it's disrespectful, but you said it yourself: it's a business. Competition is bound to occur, as unfortunate as that may seem

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others..business is business.

Fight back, put some of your flyers on his door! lol

I ran a dojo commercially for 5 years or so, and you know what I found to be the best advertisement? Word of mouth! Get your students talking. Offer them a free months class for every new student they bring in THAT SIGNS UP AND PAYS THE FIRST MONTH FEES(that's important).

Have them bring boyfriend, girfriend, sister and brothers. Aunts, uncles and cousins..friends, acquaintances..anybody! Offer family rates. Offer group rates to 5-10 from a same business, club, etc. Student discounts maybe?

I tried to encourage parents to get involved by offering free classes to parents of existing students, as long as the kid was enrolled in class. Got about 8 more students that way, and they brought in some friends that PAID!

I tried radio and TV advertisements, booths at the local fair with free drawings, newpapers and flyers and never had much success. But word of mouth is your BEST advertisement, because your students are talking to people, and telling how they like it. Enthusiasm spreads!

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my own business for a while (not martial artsrelated). One of the things I found was that you can treat competition either as an enemy, or as a minor partner. The gurus of marketing say that the average person has to be hit with about five to seven ads before they get the message and start to think it might be a good idea to get a particular product or service. So you can look at the competitions flyers as free advertiseing for your own service. If the fifth time a prospect is hit with an add he happens to be right next door to you, you might just get a walk-in that someone else paid for. I wouldn't get too upset about a competitors flyers being in the same mall. Beter there where people can see a similar option close to where they do business any how than across town. I'd encourage other martial arts schools to leave as many flyers as close to you as possible.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: