Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, quite right Tim. About the belts that is. I still don't like them though.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dojo politics come into almost anything that goes big. As a style gets larger you will always get slacker students who just by some whim of luck, pass their grading. Then they feel that they can do the same and get away with it and then all you have is a dojo of high potential with low skill. That is why I shopped for a dojo before I chose my teacher. Some people don't shop or, if they are kids, their parents don't ask the right questions. I don't know, I don't think this problem will ever go away.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way, a marital art has many aspects, not just fighting. It really annoys me when people come up to me and say, "c'mon do sommat." These igronant fools should be kicked until they are the consistancy of blended cream so they open their eyes and see what a martial art truly is. Masters, generally dont teach their students fighting. I have a friend, whose previous club had around 40 members in the kids class alone. the idea of the club was to create top quality students. Not black belts. The club shut down, and he had to find another one. He went to a club which catered for all tastes, sparing, traditional, etc. This person's standard was far in excess of the rest of the club, but he didnt know how to fight. He upgraded their standard in traditional, and they taught him how to spar. He's now one of their most valued instructors and an excellent black belt. I still believe traditional karate cant be mixed with fighting, but this club has done it. (the person i refer to is tobias_reece).

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TS757.....what a nice thing to post for sensei TOBIAS REECE.

TOBIAS ..i think you got a fan here.

i like the positivity show here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a nice thing to post man - Tobias must be a real admirable kinda bloke... It almost brings a tear to my eye

I dunno exactly what you meant by 'karate can't be mixed with fighting' - because i take moves from karate and adapt them to MY fighting style. I'm not an excellent fighter, cos i don't train enough, but my style speaks for itself. If i could train 4 hours a day like the rest of you guys then i reckon i could create my own style... hmmm, that gives me an idea. I might open a new thread on this.

Angus

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus, you think we train only 4 hours a day? Heh.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bugger me..... I'm content with what i have at the moment.

Angus

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resent those insinuations.

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, there were so many good points in this thread! Some I agreed with and some I didn't, but hey, you can't please everyone.

Originally, SubmissionFighter was talking about how his buddy's students were doing better than his buddy's teacher. That's good for your buddy! About the belt ranking... Did they move up higher than just the next rank (skipping ranks)? If so, that's rediculous!

Skipping rank only hurts yourself. Each belt that you earn you are building a foundation. You learn certain requirements and you have time to work on them and refine them. If you skip ranks you get twice the amout of material to learn and half the time to make it part of your own. Think of it like this... If you have a huge, beautiful house and it has a weak foundation, the house (not matter how huge or beautiful) will crash into ground. If you have years of previous experience in a related martial art then that might be ok because you already have a foundation and most of the material would be a review with only slight variations. This would take less time than learning from scratch.

About the money... It used to be tradition to give part of your school earnings to your teacher. He/She's the one who got you there in the first place. Back in the day the Teacher had a much bigger role to play than just the guy who teaches you about kicking * twice a week. You would spend much more time with the teacher, sharing your problems, looking out for your well being even outside of the dojo/dojang. The teacher was almost an extended family member. So this is why it was understandable. Perhaps not so much today given the way things seem to operate in our day. But that is up to SubmissionFighter's friend.

Politics that is probably one of the things that drive me up the wall! I can understand how people feel when they lose all enthusiasm for the arts when this pops up. It's in every martial art, too. THAT SUCKS! And it will come out when you least expect it. I'm not sure if it was Master Hal Whelan in Massachusettes or Master Mike McCarty in South Windsor, CT that had a slogan on their site that read "No Politics, Just Hapkido." That would be a person I would want to train with! I would like to meet them in person some day. From what I hear they are good martial artists and good people. Martial arts is about people, not politics. Sharing ideas and becoming a more complete person is what it's about.

Sorry about the long post again. I just got fired up. I'l keep it shorter next time.

Take care

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics, politics, politics! It always let some people win. I know some people who went to tournaments and lost their matches simply because they were fighting a guy from the BC Team, and then the refs would give BC Teamer the point, even though he didn't score as much. That is what blows. The thing I like about my dojo is, my teacher is Head Coach of BC Team, but their is absolutely no politics. It is very hard to find a club which doesn't have that much crap in it.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: