Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right Karateka. No matter where you work or train, there will always be politics of some sort. I always avoid the people who get themselves wrapped up in it - I may not be popular because I don't participate, but from my experience you always get burned eventually. In competition, I realize you cannot control the politics and I've heard a number of stories about referees being biased, but there really isn't anything to do other than to know you did your best and not let it take anything away from your training - get the most you can out of it and forget about the politics...it's not about winning anyways!

Lori

-Unknown-

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of you, Chris & Lori ...
Here is something I ran across and I would like to share...(kinda expreses my thoughts on this matter.....)
"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest." -- Henry Miller, American author 1891-1980. The recent fall of the dot.com economy and its get-rich-quick mindset has given way to a more traditional way of doing business, where the "old ways" of gaining profits and servicing customers have returned. In the same way, there's a backlash against the get-a-blackbelt-quick mindset in the martial arts. The true value of the martial arts can't be discovered in a weekend seminar, or in a few months at a McDojo. You gain the real benefits only through hard training and dedication.

They also say that the belt doesn't make the man (or woman)--- the man (or woman) makes the belt!
Deby

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

politics? huh?..lol

Represenitive for Paltalk.com
*-*-*-*-Mouser (Palhelp)*-*-*-*-*-

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful points and good reading.........
however; politics have always been there (just a little less obvious back in the day) and always will ( more evident now a day).............something else to deal with in a respectful manner....otherwise known as diplomacy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's horrible. There are too many examples of disrespect against martial arts today! It is a bad thing when a Sensei cheats you like that.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a school system with a large number of students training in 4 locations. The sensei in charge of the school was starting to test people for money. The people he favored. And other students he did not care for were held back even though they where the ones truly ready to test.

The sensei of the group I was training with started asking questions. Utlimately He and about 3 dozen students broke completely with the school.

Everything about the way we train was looked at. We went from a splinter shi-to ryu to a much more mainstream shotokan. And yes we relearned how to do all of the Heian katas. To conform to the way the rest of the shotokan world does them.

This is part of my training history and I tell it now that someone brought up the topic so that maybe the rest of you will understand better some of the questions I ask in the shotokan area.

I know there are still katas we do that aren't quiet standard. And some we do in a different order. I just ask for your patience and input.

I don't feel like my final rankings came from a mcdojo and I thouroughly understand the concept.

Bad feelings still exist is some areas and occasionally nasty things happen because not all black belts have the maturity their rank should entail.

Tigerclaw
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totaly agree,politics have no place in the martial arts but like some have said,its just something we have to tolorate.Take there actions as a lesson learned of what NOT to do.

MSPav
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AARRGGHH!! I can't stand that sort of crap! I used to play competition squash, back in Australia, and I had to go through that crap. I didn't go to the practice session with the court owner's wife because I didn't like her style of playing and after just 6 months I was good enough to thrash her students anyway. I was captain of my team and won every game that season (let alone every match!). The others in my team (her students) won and lost almost evenly. Because of my playing we won the championship, but I went down a grade while they went up two grades! I quit, which I now wish I had not done. I should certainly have changed locations and played for another court.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: