Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Don't change me, just show me how to punch & kick Reply with quote

I just finished reading a real good article that I wanted to share with all of you.
http://www.furyu.com/onlinearticles/Ethics.html

How rampant are these "attitudes" in your dojo if at all?

How important are ethics in martial art training in your school?

Should it be the role of martial arts to instill this lacking quality that one cannot seemingly acquire outside the dojo door?

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor just wouldn't teach those crazy people from the start I think .

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes without saying.......

stupidity and ignorance have no race, creed or color.

There is always one of those kind of people everywhere you go. If you find one in the dojo they generally dont last very long. As Darwin stated its the survival of the fittest.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any KSW school I've visited/ trained in, those type of attitudes are not tolerated. And, I'm happy to say they all have been instilling the type of moral teachings that the writter was referring to.

WhiteBelt
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my dojo, attitude is part of the marking scheme used for gradings. At a certain point you even need to pass an interview. I believe every MA needs this sort of screening, so that we don't have to fill out MA registration forms before we can learn.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sad but we live in a society that is totally me oriented. People are increasingly putting themselves before others, and expect others to give them whatever they desire. In my experience with students described in the article, they(or their parents) think it is up to the school to teach them respect and martial arts...and when the kid is so out of control that you can't do either, they act like it is your fault. Those that are there simply to fight usually leave when they don't get what they want or may actually find the error of their ways and "change" inspite of themselves. It is not up to the school to make a student be respectful, it is up to the student to learn respect. We as instructors can only continue to follow our tenets consistently and set a good example to all students(even the bad apples) so that those that are ready and willing can benefit. When students put others at risk they should be removed.

The only way a martial arts school can teach respect is to not tolerate disrespect!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Looneyas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a parent who thinks she is better than our Instructor, Always over talking the Instructor, tell him how to train her kids, Well it came to the crunch the other day. The child in question has a short temper ( Both kids are Junior Black Tip)
and (Both going for black belt in 1 month).
The child then said to the instructor im going to kick the #$%^ out of you, next thing both shins clash and u have 1 kid on ground screaming in pain.
The instructor did no wrong but the mother went off pulled the kid out and wrote a letter to his Style Branch instructor.
Still waiting on outcome

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parents, they can be an instructors worst nightmare, for the most part they usually have their children there to honestly learn an art and are usually very understanding and eager to learn and help out as much as possible themselves, but I've also seen both extremes of the spectrum with parents, one is the parent who is overly competitive and thinks his/her child is and must always be the greatest competiter, athlete,etc.. and just cant understand if you say the child is doing any wrong whatsoever,any wrong is always from bad instruction. and there is always nothing wrong with their childs attitude. and then theres the other end of the spectrum, the parent who only thinks of the dojo as a baby sitting service, somewhere they can drop their child off for an hour or so every day, whether the child wants to be there or not, I've seen some children with no desire at all in being there in which case this is just as harmful as the previous ex,..in that it takes up time and attention that could and should be given to the ones who are there to learn.

AGKK_Karateka
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju Kai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting article. I assume the martial arts club as commercial enterprise faces the greater risk of litigious and ignorant/misguided/closed attitudes from paying customers or their parents.

I am a member of a club with a large junior student base. The head instructor is an experienced school teacher and places strong emphasis on the young students having the correct attitude at home, in the dojo and at school.

There is an interesting thread on this forum called "Karate and Character" that touches upon ethics and other standards of behaviour in martial arts training:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6654&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Tigerclaw
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the Martial Arts is more then just learning how to fight,its a way of life,a way of thinking.IMHO when you begin to learn martial arts,don,t just except the physical,learn the mental and the spiritual as well,cause that is the only true way to reach the final levels of your training
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: