Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Donation based Karate? Reply with quote

I like to offer donation based karate. At this point in my life, if I am not going to boxing gym, then I am pretty much karate 24/7. Like even watching Netflix, I would pause to Google a specific version of nukite. Or Google a fictional karateka like Mike Barnes or Terry Silver. Or like 3 days ago, watching a deadly Himokiri karate (my username ) master fight the main character of a now popular series that has been making a resurgence on Netflix. Of course, I cannot forget the fictional OG called Shio Sakaki-sensei!

Its been like this and I thought this would be a phase but its been growing since 2005. Even though this love was suppressed by the rise of MMA and me getting tricked that Karate was ineffective by MMA pundits. I have reached a point that I do not care if someone says Thai kickboxing is superior. Karate is more than just striking, its culture, its an energy, its a way of being. That being said, its SUPER effective!

It also has turned me in to FREAK in boxing. Due to Taekwondo/Korean Karate training, my footwork has gotten so fast as has my cardio. I have become reborn. Sadly, I live in a country with not a big boxing culture and my town almost has no boxing. That being said, I enjoy the training and the mix of Korean Karate with boxing has opened my eyes to a whole new possibilities. Yoga has added another extremely colorful dimension.

Another thing I love is, the people that enter the dojo. Not saying everyone is a saint but karate does not attract the unsavory character who aspires to be a cage fighter/MMA superstar. The act of putting on a Gi and knowing as well as willing to recite few Japanese/Korean words keeps the questionable characters away for most parts.

This brings us to my final point, I like to teach karate donation based for the time being. Do I need insurance? Do I need to any paper work? Also I want to have a gi design that is similar to cobra kai, who do I go to that designs a gi with logo on the back? No patches, just want it to be part of the gi. Like its inked in sort of speak as oppose to a patch that is attached.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is worth a try, but don't be surprised if you still don't fill a training hall. Royce Gracie had told me in the past that he offered free training to the law enforcement officers that lived in his area, and rarely did any show up to train.

That said, you'll probably get a few that will. To that end, you will likely need some kind of insurance coverage if you train somewhere other than your home. Even then, if someone gets hurt, it's hard telling how protected you can be from someone who decides to seek damages. Looking further into some local laws may help with this matter.

As far getting a gi with a logo printed on it, you should be able to find that somewhere. You could probably go to a local screen printer and talk to them about the color of gi you want to use, and what it would take to put the design on it. A more expensive yet probably more reliable option would be embroidery. I wouldn't get too close to the Cobra Kai design, though, as it could lead to trademark infringement issues.

Best of luck moving forward with this. Where do you plan to do your training? What will your curriculum consist of? You talk about the Boxing aspect a lot in your posts, and I think it's interesting. I've always liked and respected Boxing, and feel it has much to offer.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Donation based Karate? Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:

This brings us to my final point, I like to teach karate donation based for the time being. Do I need insurance? Do I need to any paper work?

Absolutely, positively, 100% yes...yes...YES.

If I am reading you right, you are outside of the US? If so, this might have to be modified.

In the US, we have a Limited Liability Corporation or LLC. In the eyes of US law, a corporation (LLC) is considered to be a person. So, I created an LLC. Students that want to train under me sign a legal document that I had a lawyer create that states that they are waiving their rights to sue me personally, anyone that works for me or my school (the LLC) should they be hurt during the course of training.

Of course, even if they sign that, they can still sue. Therefore, you need insurance. In the US, you should have general liability insurance that also includes professional liability coverage. Additionally, if you are teaching in a building or location that is not your home, then you need to have premises liability as well. If you are teaching in a home or an apartment, then you need different insurance to cover that as just about any kind of renters or home owner insurance is going to reject outright any claims since you are, essentially, running a business (no matter how or if you collect fees).

But, all of that needs to be translated over to the laws governing whatever country you may be living in.

But, everyone likes to sue. You need to be fully covered on every angle possible to ensure you don't get wiped out financially regardless of where you live.

Himokiri Karate wrote:

Also I want to have a gi design that is similar to cobra kai, who do I go to that designs a gi with logo on the back? No patches, just want it to be part of the gi. Like its inked in sort of speak as oppose to a patch that is attached.

I have done custom embroidered gis in the past. Let me warn you now...it was not cheap back then and I expect it is probably more expensive now. You can Google something like "custom embroidered martial arts uniform" and see what comes up. What is usually easier is to get a design done that you want to use, buy the gi and then find someone locally to do the embroidery work for you. That would probably be the cheaper option.

By the way, I reference going with embroidery option because any sort of silk screening process (meaning applied ink) to a gi is really not going to hold up to the rigors of martial arts training. When you combine this with how often a gi is likely going to have to be washed, then it makes it even worse. One of the businesses I own does t-shirts, so I have a little experience there. I can also tell you that creating a large patch to have attached to the back of the gi is going to be expensive as well. Anything over 4" the cost goes up significantly. And, if you are ordering only a few of them, the cost goes up as well. Put it this way, I am having a new patch designed. 2 colors. 4.5" x 3.5". If I want just 10 of them made, it is going to cost between $250 to $300.

If I can offer a bit of personal advice, don't go with the "cobra kai" look.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice so far!!

Interesting how this thread is titled...Donation-based. Meaning not free; a fee is leveled at whatever the student can afford, and/or a set fee for some worth donations for classes, akin to perhaps a seminar.

I'd not allow any student, short/long term, take their shoes off and get on my floor, wherever that floor might or might not be at, without the appropriate insurance no matter where the venue was being held. To many things can go right, but way too many things can go wrong. Protect oneself first, protect the venue second, protect the student thirdly, and then protect the unknown whatever that might or might not be.

Something to chew on, for whatever it's worth. For donation-based classes, the teacher pays to rent a space and those who show up to take a class will give however much they want or are able to afford at the time. The instructor usually promotes a specific cause or charity and donates any proceeds. In the end, the amount people give is subtracted from rental space costs.

Another tidbit to consider, possible receipts might be necessary for donation-based classes. For donations worth less than $250, a simple dated receipt with a description of the donation is enough. If the value is between $250 and $500, you'll need written documentation from the organization.

If the donation-based classes are free, meaning that the teacher is donating their time, I refer back to the 2nd paragraph above, nonetheless. Like Brian mentioned about Royce Gracie, no matter what the intent, there's never a guarantee that anyone would show up. I too, offered classes for free to all LEO's, and not many ever showed up no matter how sincere my offer was.

As far as the logo on anything for anything of any type can swallow up practically any and all available funds. While it sounds good at first, that glee will slide off of one's face once the bill arrives. I never created a logo for my dojo, and I was in business forever and a day; I used the patch that the SKKA, our Governing Body, offered at a very nominal price.

Oh yeah, I'd stay far away from the Cobra Kai as far away as the East is from the West. Nothing can come good from opening up that can of worms.

Hang in there!!

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Donation based Karate? Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I guess this is worth a try, but don't be surprised if you still don't fill a training hall. Royce Gracie had told me in the past that he offered free training to the law enforcement officers that lived in his area, and rarely did any show up to train.

That said, you'll probably get a few that will. To that end, you will likely need some kind of insurance coverage if you train somewhere other than your home. Even then, if someone gets hurt, it's hard telling how protected you can be from someone who decides to seek damages. Looking further into some local laws may help with this matter.

As far getting a gi with a logo printed on it, you should be able to find that somewhere. You could probably go to a local screen printer and talk to them about the color of gi you want to use, and what it would take to put the design on it. A more expensive yet probably more reliable option would be embroidery. I wouldn't get too close to the Cobra Kai design, though, as it could lead to trademark infringement issues.

Best of luck moving forward with this. Where do you plan to do your training? What will your curriculum consist of? You talk about the Boxing aspect a lot in your posts, and I think it's interesting. I've always liked and respected Boxing, and feel it has much to offer.

Regarding the cobra kai. My business is called cobrakingkai. I have no fear with that name because there have been few places named cobra kai. Mine has king in the middle which makes it different but also pays homage to the brand. We have cobra kai jujitsu and cobra kai fitness that are currently active. In the 2000s, my town had cobra kai kickboxing.

I have the name everywhere. I am not worried. If they would go after me, then they have to go after the cobra jujitsu and cobra kai fitness first and right now they are still active. Cobrakingkai is too good of a name and its mine 100 percent. Its also a homage to my favorite anime dragonball z which had a martial arts master named king kai who mentored the protagonist.

Regarding boxing, I incorporate tons and tons of boxing in to my karate. Korean karate/Tang Soo Do is very bouncy, dynamic and you are always jumping and spinning. Boxing has many different styles as well. Some boxing trainers teach you to stand sideways, some teach you to be 45- degree angled and some get you to square up and fight in the pocket.

Karate stances can strengthen and add nuance to the boxing stance. You develop a different types of rhythm in your footwork and hip rotations which allows you to become very difficult to time in boxing. The switching of the stance is also something boxers are not use to. In Japanese and Korean Martial arts cultures, you see the two countries martial arts to be very organized on how they teach the moves, its like they have a blue print and a path way to doing their moves and transitions to another move down.

Ultimately, boxing and karate have much to offer to each other. With my progression of training, I noticed that I kind of cornered myself in to the Tang Soo Do/Korean karate move set. That and Tang Soo Do uses hybrid language of Japanese and Korean. So it makes sense for me to be Korean Karate. That being said, I have a mentor in Korean martial arts that teaches me privately.

tatsujin wrote:
Himokiri Karate wrote:

This brings us to my final point, I like to teach karate donation based for the time being. Do I need insurance? Do I need to any paper work?

Absolutely, positively, 100% yes...yes...YES.

If I am reading you right, you are outside of the US? If so, this might have to be modified.

In the US, we have a Limited Liability Corporation or LLC. In the eyes of US law, a corporation (LLC) is considered to be a person. So, I created an LLC. Students that want to train under me sign a legal document that I had a lawyer create that states that they are waiving their rights to sue me personally, anyone that works for me or my school (the LLC) should they be hurt during the course of training.

Of course, even if they sign that, they can still sue. Therefore, you need insurance. In the US, you should have general liability insurance that also includes professional liability coverage. Additionally, if you are teaching in a building or location that is not your home, then you need to have premises liability as well. If you are teaching in a home or an apartment, then you need different insurance to cover that as just about any kind of renters or home owner insurance is going to reject outright any claims since you are, essentially, running a business (no matter how or if you collect fees).

But, all of that needs to be translated over to the laws governing whatever country you may be living in.

But, everyone likes to sue. You need to be fully covered on every angle possible to ensure you don't get wiped out financially regardless of where you live.

Himokiri Karate wrote:

Also I want to have a gi design that is similar to cobra kai, who do I go to that designs a gi with logo on the back? No patches, just want it to be part of the gi. Like its inked in sort of speak as oppose to a patch that is attached.

I have done custom embroidered gis in the past. Let me warn you now...it was not cheap back then and I expect it is probably more expensive now. You can Google something like "custom embroidered martial arts uniform" and see what comes up. What is usually easier is to get a design done that you want to use, buy the gi and then find someone locally to do the embroidery work for you. That would probably be the cheaper option.

By the way, I reference going with embroidery option because any sort of silk screening process (meaning applied ink) to a gi is really not going to hold up to the rigors of martial arts training. When you combine this with how often a gi is likely going to have to be washed, then it makes it even worse. One of the businesses I own does t-shirts, so I have a little experience there. I can also tell you that creating a large patch to have attached to the back of the gi is going to be expensive as well. Anything over 4" the cost goes up significantly. And, if you are ordering only a few of them, the cost goes up as well. Put it this way, I am having a new patch designed. 2 colors. 4.5" x 3.5". If I want just 10 of them made, it is going to cost between $250 to $300.

If I can offer a bit of personal advice, don't go with the "cobra kai" look.

Good to know, this is actually important stuff. Like if I wanna travel to US to also teach, I need to cover my rear end I suppose. So I appreciate it.

I am cobrakingkai and there is not a lawyer who can take me down. That and if they want to, they have to go after the two active gyms that are blatantly using cobra kai for their jujitsu gyms. Also some of the stuff I use is based on a cobra since principles do come from Dok Lees Hikuta that was based on movements of the snake.

Cobra kai jujitsu has been active for over a decade. They have the same exact logo. Mine is different. Same with cobra kai fitness. There is also a small cobra kai kickboxing in U.S while ours closed down despite either being related. Technically speaking, I would be 4th on the list. Like Ray Croc, its all about the name. I do not have the name but I have something as good or almost better and yet its authentic.

sensei8 wrote:
Great advice so far!!

Interesting how this thread is titled...Donation-based. Meaning not free; a fee is leveled at whatever the student can afford, and/or a set fee for some worth donations for classes, akin to perhaps a seminar.

I'd not allow any student, short/long term, take their shoes off and get on my floor, wherever that floor might or might not be at, without the appropriate insurance no matter where the venue was being held. To many things can go right, but way too many things can go wrong. Protect oneself first, protect the venue second, protect the student thirdly, and then protect the unknown whatever that might or might not be.

Something to chew on, for whatever it's worth. For donation-based classes, the teacher pays to rent a space and those who show up to take a class will give however much they want or are able to afford at the time. The instructor usually promotes a specific cause or charity and donates any proceeds. In the end, the amount people give is subtracted from rental space costs.

Another tidbit to consider, possible receipts might be necessary for donation-based classes. For donations worth less than $250, a simple dated receipt with a description of the donation is enough. If the value is between $250 and $500, you'll need written documentation from the organization.

If the donation-based classes are free, meaning that the teacher is donating their time, I refer back to the 2nd paragraph above, nonetheless. Like Brian mentioned about Royce Gracie, no matter what the intent, there's never a guarantee that anyone would show up. I too, offered classes for free to all LEO's, and not many ever showed up no matter how sincere my offer was.

As far as the logo on anything for anything of any type can swallow up practically any and all available funds. While it sounds good at first, that glee will slide off of one's face once the bill arrives. I never created a logo for my dojo, and I was in business forever and a day; I used the patch that the SKKA, our Governing Body, offered at a very nominal price.

Oh yeah, I'd stay far away from the Cobra Kai as far away as the East is from the West. Nothing can come good from opening up that can of worms.

Hang in there!!

Cobra kai jujitsu has been operating for far too long. Mine being cobrakingkai is something that I feel safe. Yet I am willing to fight for it because its my name, I came up with it. I have the domain, the social media handles, no one can it away from me.

Also king kai is one of the martial arts master of the protagonist in the dragonball series which is a show I grew up with. So I combined my love for karate kid/cobra kai + dragonball to create a new name that I am extremely proud of. I will always be cobrakingkai. CKK all the way!

Somethings in this world are worth fighting for. This is one of them. When I came up with this name, I fell in love with it. It also true to my style since I plan on incorporating Dok Lees Hikuta principles which is retracting and recoiling. Something I learned with my Taekwondo/Tang Soo Do teacher and being able to change directions the last second which is also a boxing technique that not many boxing coaches know. Its the name, its the technique, its everything that go well together.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:

Good to know, this is actually important stuff. Like if I wanna travel to US to also teach, I need to cover my rear end I suppose. So I appreciate it.

Well, it depends...

If you are in the US, if you are teaching a seminar or in a school that belongs to someone else, then THEY should have insurance and the insurance I described earlier (especially the professional liability) should cover you as an independent contractor through them. Just make sure that your agreement with them is done in the name of whatever corporation you have set up.

Himokiri Karate wrote:

I am cobrakingkai and there is not a lawyer who can take me down. That and if they want to, they have to go after the two active gyms that are blatantly using cobra kai for their jujitsu gyms. Also some of the stuff I use is based on a cobra since principles do come from Dok Lees Hikuta that was based on movements of the snake.

I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV. So, I cannot speak to the legal use of any name. And, my comments about "staying away from the cobra kai thing" was not ment in regards to the legality of anything.

I'll approach this as delicately as I can...and, to be clear, I am only speaking for myself.

I think playing off of the cobra kai name and dressing like actors in the series is unprofessional and you would be doing yourself a disservice by utilizing it.

Like it or not, we ALL judge a book by its cover in one way or another. Personally, if I saw someone very clearly playing off of the "Cobra Kai" name and dressing in a sleeveless gi with a design on it like what is worn in the series/movies, I am going to pretty much write you off as being anything I am interested in. Again, I don't mean that as a personal attack against you. I don't know you. I don't know if you are competent or not.

Let me try to relate a story that kind of explains this line of thought...

Back in the mid 1980's I lived in Hollywood, CA for a bit. And when I say live in Hollywood, I literally mean that standing in the little apartment I lived in had Hollywood Blvd on one side of me and Sunset Blvd on the other. So, I was reading a copy of Black Belt magazine that I had bought. In it was an article about Frank Dux. Yes, that Frank Dux...Bloodsport fame. It referenced him having a school in the area. So I looked it up in the Yellow Pages, got the address and took a bus to go to the school one late afternoon. When I got there, he actually had a class going and he was teaching the class...it was the end of the class actually. I went in as they had a visitor area. The class was all lined up facing him. He had a kind of really odd sleeveless gi on that was a cross between a Japanese gi and a Shaolin kung fu uniform. Anyway, he pulls out a piece of paper and starts reading out what is a rank promotion. He calls the guy out. This guy, from seiza, does a forward roll, turns right (in seiza), does 3 more forward rolls (from seiza) until he is in front of Dux, turns left, takes the certificate and does this "seiza roll" thing back to his place in line. Apparently, that is how a "ninja" does rank promotion. At this time, Stephen K. Hayes was all the rage for his training in Togakure-ryu ninjutsu with Hatsumi Sensei. So, Dux was doing like so many others and laying claim to ninjutsu. That was enough for me. I kinda chuckled and walked out the door, never to look back and then later laugh heartily when the movie came out.

It is my personal opinion only, so you may find it to be of absolutely no value to you whatsoever...but I think if you go with the play on the name of Cobra Kai and dress like Cobra Kai, may people are going to write you off as being a serious martial artist. Is that fair? No, not really. Is it true? No clue. Additionally, I think you are probably going to attract the wrong kinds of students based off of this as well.

Again, I don't mean that as a personal attack against you. I don't know you. Just putting it out there as something to consider.

You be you man...

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
Himokiri Karate wrote:

Well, it depends...

If you are in the US, if you are teaching a seminar or in a school that belongs to someone else, then THEY should have insurance and the insurance I described earlier (especially the professional liability) should cover you as an independent contractor through them. Just make sure that your agreement with them is done in the name of whatever corporation you have set up.

Himokiri Karate wrote:

I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV. So, I cannot speak to the legal use of any name. And, my comments about "staying away from the cobra kai thing" was not ment in regards to the legality of anything.

I'll approach this as delicately as I can...and, to be clear, I am only speaking for myself.

I think playing off of the cobra kai name and dressing like actors in the series is unprofessional and you would be doing yourself a disservice by utilizing it.

Like it or not, we ALL judge a book by its cover in one way or another. Personally, if I saw someone very clearly playing off of the "Cobra Kai" name and dressing in a sleeveless gi with a design on it like what is worn in the series/movies, I am going to pretty much write you off as being anything I am interested in. Again, I don't mean that as a personal attack against you. I don't know you. I don't know if you are competent or not.

Let me try to relate a story that kind of explains this line of thought...

Back in the mid 1980's I lived in Hollywood, CA for a bit. And when I say live in Hollywood, I literally mean that standing in the little apartment I lived in had Hollywood Blvd on one side of me and Sunset Blvd on the other. So, I was reading a copy of Black Belt magazine that I had bought. In it was an article about Frank Dux. Yes, that Frank Dux...Bloodsport fame. It referenced him having a school in the area. So I looked it up in the Yellow Pages, got the address and took a bus to go to the school one late afternoon. When I got there, he actually had a class going and he was teaching the class...it was the end of the class actually. I went in as they had a visitor area. The class was all lined up facing him. He had a kind of really odd sleeveless gi on that was a cross between a Japanese gi and a Shaolin kung fu uniform. Anyway, he pulls out a piece of paper and starts reading out what is a rank promotion. He calls the guy out. This guy, from seiza, does a forward roll, turns right (in seiza), does 3 more forward rolls (from seiza) until he is in front of Dux, turns left, takes the certificate and does this "seiza roll" thing back to his place in line. Apparently, that is how a "ninja" does rank promotion. At this time, Stephen K. Hayes was all the rage for his training in Togakure-ryu ninjutsu with Hatsumi Sensei. So, Dux was doing like so many others and laying claim to ninjutsu. That was enough for me. I kinda chuckled and walked out the door, never to look back and then later laugh heartily when the movie came out.

It is my personal opinion only, so you may find it to be of absolutely no value to you whatsoever...but I think if you go with the play on the name of Cobra Kai and dress like Cobra Kai, may people are going to write you off as being a serious martial artist. Is that fair? No, not really. Is it true? No clue. Additionally, I think you are probably going to attract the wrong kinds of students based off of this as well.

Again, I don't mean that as a personal attack against you. I don't know you. Just putting it out there as something to consider.

You be you man...

Thank you for the info on the insurance. Its good to know all this because of getting a working visa and different insurance for travel, teaching and all the legal business.

Regarding the dress code:

I wear white gi...maybe purple ( in spirit of himokiri karate)

I don't like overly colorful designs. My favorite Gi is white with the logo of cobrakingkai on the back as a teacher. Nothing too colorful. In fact, my students may have a pure white gi with the cobrakingkai logo on their wrist sleeve.

That being said, I do agree with you, I am going to be written off by the traditional karate culture. However, I also am going to be operating in the striking world which would be boxing and karate competition. My main focus is to bestow upon my students:

Endless cardio, freakishly fast, active footwork as our base foundation which is something I learned in boxing and Korean Karate or TSD/TKD.

With that being said, I am prepared for scrutiny

In fact, I welcome it, new ideas should be challenged, they should be scrutinized. I do deserve to be tested, questioned and even dismissed it as well as criticized from every direction and aspect from technique to culture. This will allow me to truly rise to the occasion towards the type of mastery that wins people over and also forces me to give my future students techniques that are top of the line.

My main career occupation is promoting a healthy approach towards vegetarianism in a world that is filled with vegans and Paleo followers. So from money and career, this is where I operate. Cobrakingkai is a passion project. Its not meant as a means to make income but rather its about making an impact.

Failure for me is to not train my students to the standard of the dangers they can and will encounter in a town that I am trying to escape due to falling apart. Hence I added boxing so that my students can have quick fast hands to set up their karate techniques. Hikuta and the snake recoil/retraction method is designed to help reload our power strikes for quicker fire and counters. My "selling" point as a serious martial artist is to win boxing and karate fights with superior technique and overwhelming power. Aside from that, if someone feels like our name is off-putting, then that is the beauty of human race, they are allowed to feel that way because it is their free will which makes humanity interesting great at times and that is a good thing since my free will is that I believe my name is super awesome. Every person has a right to their opinion, my main and most important mission is that my students can handle themselves under stressful pressure of hostile situations. If I can do that and help them become happier, more secure as human beings, then I have done my job as a sensei.

I remember Stephen Hayes and even Konigun ninja dramas. I look at the ninja world as " overpromise and under deliver"

We are modern human beings, we work, we have family, we have car insurance and girlfriends/wives and etc...

To be a ninja, you have to go big or go home. As a yoga practitioner, you have to commit SERIOUS hours to mudra/mantra and meditation. For the ninja, that is the Kujikiri which the ninjas learned from the yoga world. I personally do believe in these abilities. But I also believe you have to like meditate 6-8 hours a day and as the ninja goes, I believe every moment has to be spent crawling, squatting, climbing, weapons, espionage, taijuitsu.

EDIT:

I am sure people who train modern ninjutsu may know what they are doing. That and I felt like my comment was a bit more opinionated as oppose to educational. Since I am a Karate guy, I should keep it at that. My thing is, there was one ninjutsu person I met that was over promising things by saying that ninjitsu striking is superior to every striking arts and etc...

On and on with ninjitsu has the best everything. This person +Konigun ninja saga created a negative bias in me. So please understand that I mean no disrespect. I fully admit that as a flawed human being, I have my bias which creates a blind spot. Going forward I will be more diligent to spot this character flaw before posting.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the late 80's I attended an Aikido dojo that was "Donation" based in a sense, the monthly dues were 50.00 and it was on an honor system in that you just dropped your dues in a wooden box inside the dojo entrance. a lot of Aikido dojos were like that and it seemed to work out fairly well. the dojo is still running some 40 years later and has actually moved locations and now has a very nice landscaped traditional garden and training hall look and feel. if for whatever reason you couldnt afford the dues you would be allowed to donate whatever you could until you could return to the set dues. it always had a packed floor and membership, so it can work if done properly and teaches honor, respect and responsibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: