Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

akmal06
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the response!
I really appreciate it!

shikantaza
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: karate-do, jiujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the instructor(s), your effort and your willingness to handle pain and risks to injury, and the advanced students you will learn with by sparring with.

My path combines training at a "full contact" karate dojo, Kyokushin-derived, and training at a jiu-jiutsu gym, another form of "full contact," but I already have a decent background in martial arts from several years of hapkido and taekwondo-karate.

Osu

BladeSmartNY
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kali, JKD

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your goal in Martial Arts? If your goal is a compete in Karate, train Karate. It doesn't matter which are is better than which if you train for sport.

But if you are training for street fighting... I'd recommend something with more real world tactics.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate has just as much or little "real world tactics" as other martial arts schools. Which is to say, it varies based on the instructor. I've seen Yang Tai Chi classes that do reality based adrenaline drills, firearms training, and grappling defense; i've seen MMA classes dropped down to no-contact kiddie classes and cardio workouts with no application and dubious form. It's not enough to say 'Style X does/does not do X!'.

Isshin-Vegg
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu (OIKKA)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take the time to read all of the other's response's, but please note back when Karate styles were being developed on Okinawa most of the kicking techniques that Karate styles began doing were all from southeast asia. Therefore in kicking both styles are the same so that's why it depends on the person. Also, Muay Thai focuses on kickboxing, while karate will teach you techniques and apply them through kata and kumite. Sparring will happen too but as far as I know I think all Muay Thai does is kickboxing, so if they're fighting one who is not a black belt or a higher rank they may have a better chance at first with Muay Thai because they just train in fighting!

UselessDave
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question would be: do you think muay thai is the best martial art?

You can't say which is the best because, simply, opinion is not a fact. There is as many opinions as there are styles with all the spin-offs contained too.
Yet, I prefer not to say there is no the best martial art. That would be, and is pointless, there'll always be people arguing about it. Because what in the end is meant by the best is what is best for one. Then there's those people who are arguing who's opinion is the best. Some err to believe that an opinion is a fact if many people enough think so.

guitarguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes down to fitness. In karate there are far to many things to learn to simpley spend the whole lesson on conditioning and fighting so if you don't train at home you maystill kick as hard and fast as the muay tai guy but you won't stand a chance as fitness will betray you. If however you put in time at home on fitness the playing ground will be leveled and if there was a no rules fight and you had a good instructer you might even have an advantage because of the extra techniques in the higher ranking.

Here my thought: karate at times gets a bad name because of practisioners who don't train at home (how can you be good at something if you don't train most days), muay tai gets a bad name because it at times and I stress at times brings in people who train for the wrong reason. I am lucky to have a dojo that does fitness and real world training and to grade you need to work hard.

(sorry about the terrible grammer I'm extremely tired)

And on a side note i enjoy very much going through my kata's every morning it's an art in itself something non traditional arts lack. In general though anyone who is fit and train with good instructors can do well regardless of the art as long as they have experience defending against the art they are verseing. For example if I spar a boxer i don't try to go toe to toe with him and if i verse a judo practioner i move around and avoid letting him grab me its about using your art to your advantage.

luca61
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Seido

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Guitarguy. If I may add something, is that Muy Thai is favored because uses more training equipment such as focus mitts, bag, shield and so on. I know that is not the case with Kyokushin and derivatives, but some dojo still spend a large amount of the time striking thin air and missing the feedback of hitting solid objects. In the seventies Traditional Karate used a lot the Makiwara, but with the turn to the sport oriented side it has mostly been forgotten.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The question is:
Izit Muay Thai is the best martial arts?
How can u explain that there is no best martial art in the world, it depends a person?"

No martial art is superior to another. Some have their ups and downs. In a grappling match jujitsu would kill taekwondo but in a stand up fight, taekwondo would probably kill jujitsu.

This is why I feel cross-training is important. If you are good on your feet and on the ground, you will become a force to be reckoned with.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

guitarguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luca61 wrote:
I agree with you Guitarguy. If I may add something, is that Muy Thai is favored because uses more training equipment such as focus mitts, bag, shield and so on. I know that is not the case with Kyokushin and derivatives, but some dojo still spend a large amount of the time striking thin air and missing the feedback of hitting solid objects. In the seventies Traditional Karate used a lot the Makiwara, but with the turn to the sport oriented side it has mostly been forgotten.

Good ppint about striking thin air. It is necessary from a basis of learning and maintaing techniques particaularly when starting out but if you don't hit something how can hit effectively. I do get frustrated though when people think arts such as BJJ, Boxing or Muay Tai are the best for fights heres my take. They are the best for learning to fight quickly, but miss out on the aspects martial arts such as karate learn as well as just being able to fight.
For me im glad i do kyokushin and have a good dojo because I get the best of both worlds I get strong conditioning, techniques, respect, friendship, self defence and we train for sports and real life situations. We also strike real surfaces and practise lots of SD drills with partners so it works well. And as stated before it's what you do in your own time that makes or breaks you as a fighter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: