Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

okehamptonunited
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate and Boxing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muay Thai isn't actually better than other martial arts. It can win sometimes as it has more of a attacking base. In Karate and other traditional fighting arts from the start you are not trained to be in a situation because it starts with self defence. Also I have watched pro Karate fights online and they are less agressive than Muay Thai. I am not saying this applies to all martial arts.

Muay Thai isn't better. Other martial arts just need to learn more agression in most cases

rhilllakefield
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ishinryu Karate, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the martial arts go, as others have said, its up to the individual.
I've met untrained people who are just plain scary, and could take down an army of trained martial artists.

I've also met Karate, Muay Thai, Taekwondo and boxing practisioners who are very dangerous and well trained.

Karate especially is really up to the individual as to how effective it is. When I was younger I didnt have much use for Kata and traditional work, now I see how beneficial it is for core strength, balance, fitness etc... Now that I'm older, I've supplemented Karate with hard sparring in kickboxing and also added weight training to the mix. Karate will also be my base.

It's really all up to you, but there aren't many martial arts that aren't proven, and have a solid base. You just have to make them work for you.

There's also a big difference between fighting ability and self defence ability.

Ryan

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know he's going to show you ones where Muay Thai wins. He wants you to think it's the best, but it's not. No karate is the best. They all have their benefits.

monk64
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think who wins in a fight depends on three things:

• student
  • style
  • circumstance

I imagine a heavyweight boxing champ could beat a poor jujitsu fighter even though the boxer's style is designed for the ring and doesn't cover leg kicks, groin shots, ground combat, etc.

However, if the best boxer in the world and the best judo guy in the world fought no-holds-barred, I'd favor the judoka because he his style encompasses a much broader range of techniques.

That is, unless they fought in a regulation boxing match, in which case the judoka might get his clock cleaned.

However, a very good judo guy would probably prevail in that same ring against an out of shape, overweight, poorly trained competitor no matter what his style.

Etcetera. So much depends on student and circumstance. Muay Thai is certainly a fine art, but the problem is that people usually evaluate it in a competition context. It's like the MMA guys saying "karate is junk, look what we proved in the octagon". Take away half the strikes, put on pads, add other rules, and yes, karate may not be as effective. But that is one circumstance.

Other than a few junk homebrew systems that I've seen and maybe one or two systems I've found to be questionable (just my opinion), the majority of traditional martial arts are very valid and potent in the hands of a good practitioner.

Given that, how good you are is mostly up to you.

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show your mate youtube clips that start with ''Karate Vs.......'' rather than ''............. vs Karate''

99% of the time the first MA in the title wins

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, the outcome of a story always depends on the story teller

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
This is true, the outcome of a story always depends on the story teller

Another Welsher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: