Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash wrote:
dont really have anything to add that hasnt been already stated, to get it actually dull enough to be 100% safe would require the edge to be completely flattened or rounded off and the point to be flattened, even then it could still stab and puncture the body, due to the small size of the blade. if you take this much off the blade it will no longer actually be identical the active carry one though. (sounds like you want an exact copy for practice) but the now, practice knife will be minutely less in weight and size due to blade loss....sure, probably not noticeable but still...... practicing with a similar practice knife is probably the best route imo, but that is just me, i couldnt bring myself to ruin a good blade...lol

Well, I have numerous "similar" training knives, but I still prefer to work and train with what I am using as an EDC knife. Yes, there will be some minor differences after dulling the blade. However, we are talking differences so minor that they fall into millimeters or less. Same with the weight of the knife. However, everything else will be virtually identical. Anything "similar" will be very much different. Also, when you look to some of the high end knife makers, they do make trainers of their very popular blades.

It is an inexpensive knife, so dulling the blade is not a big deal at all.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:
Crash :
" seriously, a bo has to be licensed????? does no one there have walking sticks for hiking? "

Yes . They also have broom and tool handles for sale .... but they are not considered a bo .

Crazy huh ?

The law here (NSW ) can be just as silly ; someone breaks into your house, you clout them, that's assault .

I also teach some SD 'legalities' . If it ever comes to it do not tell the police ; " Well, he broke into my house, my wife and kids where home , he seemed crazy like he was on something , so I grabbed my bo and smashed him over the head . "

No no no .

" Well, he broke into my house, my wife and kids where home , he seemed crazy like he was on something , he advanced towards me and I backed up but the wall was behind me and he had me up against it . He grabbed me so I fumbled behind myself and my hand came upon the broom, so I took that up and used it to push him away from me . Then we started wrestling with the broom , I was able to subdue him . The head of the broom must have come off at some stage . "

- yeah , my brooms do seem to have thicker handles than usual .... I get tired of them breaking all the time .

It always pays to know the laws where you live...self-defense laws, laws regarding blades you can can carry as well as other types of weapons, etc.

In my home state of TX, we have what is called the "Castle Doctrine" and it is some of the strongest set of laws in the nation when it comes to the rights of someone to protect their life and property. But, it is a set of laws and you do need to be familiar with all of them to best protect yourself. As I always tell people, if you are involved in an incident and the law gets involved, the best thing to tell them (AFTER you get a lawyer, you should ALWAYS invoke your Miranda Rights to not speak to anyone until you have a lawyer in place!) is that you were in fear of your life. Just keep repeating that over and over at every instance that you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: