Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I studied Shotokan, we never spoke of the principle of Economy of Motion when it came to punches, strikes or kicks. However, I've seen certain techniques where this is displayed, for instance any techniques thrown off the lead hand or leg.

As traditional karate instructors/students, have you discussed, wondered, or pointed out the value of this principle?

Your thoughts please??? Thanks!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are refering to.

I am thinking you mean how to make moves flow in a nice comb?

I have never heard the term but I like it.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Economy of Motion essentially refers to going from point A to point B in the quickest possible way. No retraction or re-cocking, re-chambering, what-have-you, which in turn will lead to the flow of combinations/techniques.

It can also be referred, in my opinion, as the principle of a block is a strike and a strike a block. These two techniques accomplishing the same goal.

Perhaps I should have posted in the General topics, however I was thinking about how this principle in general related to my Shotokan training days.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we teach all blocks as strikes and if you block hard you can take out the persons weapons thus winning without hitting them.

Is this what you mean
like Jab, bend the elbow into round elbow strike, extend the arm for backfist combo.

We teach multi strikes without the recoil.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at the linear steps and techniques in shotokan as compared to the circular steps and thechniques in other styles you see the intent of economy of motion. Some books on shotokan mention this.

There are also other karate styles such as matsubayashi shorin ryu that use this principle.

I wish I could come up with the name of a style that uses circular steps and blocks but it is lost in the space between my ears right now floating beyond easy retrieval. Maybe someone else will pop up with an example.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G95,

Yep that's pretty much what I was aiming for. I don't recall doing any multi strikes where we used this principle per say at the club I was at.

Many of the strikes always came from the hip so as to generate power, at least that was my opinion. But I still thought that power could be generated while using the principle of EOM, so long as you still get good body/hip rotation.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say the hip should finish its movement before the fist leaves its chambered position.

The theory is that the larger, more powerful muscles of the lower body begin the technique and, as the hip movement reaches maximum velocity, it stops and inertia propels the fist to the target resulting in a faster arm movement. The hip completes its rotation and tenses before the arm moves, so if the lower body is properly tensed throughout the arm's movement, it may provide a stable, strong punch such the arm is launched off of a strong base. Since the hip completes its rotation well before the fist contacts the target, they are not moving forward at impact. The only mass moving into the target at impact is that of the arm.

Then there is when the theory that the motions should finish simultaneously. The fist and hip motion finish at the same time. The fist's velocity at impact may not be as great as in the hip first method, but the overall speed of the technique is usually faster. Since all the moving parts are tensed at the moment of impact, greater force is transferred to the target. The hip continues moving until impact, therefore, the mass of the entire body is moving into the target.

Others take the middle ground combining these two whereby you tense the various muscle groups, with the muscles closest to the floor tensing first and others building on those already tensed muscles forming in a completely tense body.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm......most interesting theory KickChick!! Never thought of it that way. I just tried both ways, wasn't a great idea without proper warmup, afterall it is only morning here

Doing what little I did to test out the theories, I find that I'm more of the the second theory of finishing simultaneously. At least that's what it felt like this early in the morning!

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 60-70% of the power for any technique comes from your legs, via your hips. A contracted hip movement massive cuts down on that power.

Often the fastest route between two places isn't a straight line.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideas of economy of motion and generating power with the hips are more technical things that some do instinctively without really knowing what they are doing. Some students of the martial arts enjoy the more technical aspects of what they do and can discuss it to death. Others just do it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: