Add KarateForums.com
Let's Help sensei8 in His Time of Need
KarateForums.com Awards 2021: Winners Revealed!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
KF VIP

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other think I noted with the web site was that they primarily seem to be speaking of Japanese jiu jitsu when they talk about their jiu jitsu. That's fine, as long as you understand it's primarily a standing joint manipulation system. It's not what most people think of when they think of "mma" kind of training.

I do notice that they offer some BJJ classes. Great, much more in line with the mma concept. Here's the thing, I don't see any instructors listed for this program. That might, I emphasis might, be a red flag.

There are a lot of grappling programs out there, often associated with local mma schools, that are wrestling or shoot based. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I have a major problem if they are doing submission grappling from other sources and calling it BJJ.

Of course, it might be a moot point. But it doesn't hurt to inquire about who will be teach the BJJ and what their background is.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sort of what I was thinking. I ended up not going due to a broken nose (long story) and I gave it some thought. I just want to learn something for self defense as I live in a rough area. The only problem is I cant find hardly any schools that teach the actual art...there's only competition schools.
Well, thanks for the advice and for pointing out the "red flags." I'll let you know when, or if, I find another place to consider.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competition martial art can be fine, if it's solid. Judo, for instance, is "competition", but those throws can really put the hurt on people, they're tough and can take a beating, and they have good fighting attributes. Boxers are similar. (The two combine really really well, too.) MMA is a pure competition art, but people never seem to dismiss it as "just being for sports".
What area are you looking for schools in? Maybe someone here knows of a school there that you might not have spotted.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a suburb of Akron, Ohio. Most places near my area teach TKD which I'm not really interested in. Maybe I'm just being too picky though...

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

datguy wrote:
Thanks for your input...I'll keep you posted on how it goes and I'll keep what you guys said in mind. Again, thanks!

Here is a link to their website:

http://zmakarate.com/base.htm

MCDOJO WARNING!!!!!!!!

It may be a really good school but its not somewhere I'd like to train or send my children to!!!!

the Rolling Syllabus doesn't give you any roots or grounding to build from. its like learning piano for 4 weeks then learning guitar, then drums then back to piano, you'd never get good at any instrument!!!

Sorry, but that's just the way I feel

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't be sorry. Any help is appreciated. I found a different school that is much better. It's very traditional, the head of the school has been teaching for over 30 years, and they are pretty serious about what they do which is what I like to see.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if would necessarily be a McDojo. He may have some good intentions, but just doesn't realize that the way of going about achieving his goals might be a tad ineffective.

kumite
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sensei once told me not to chase to many rabbits, just chase one til you catch it!

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you'd want to either train all 3 together for at least 18 months - 24 months.

Or train one - 3 times per week then reduce to two after 6 months and add a second system and so on.

You can't learn much in a few months and you will not retain the skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: