Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You want a GREAT way to do it? Put on pads and have the attacker REALLY ATTACK YOU!
Sounds like a great way to practice getting beaten up.

Quote:
So what is your solution?
Speed.

Quote:
As for JerryLove's question...I have several clients who are in their 60's and they have no problem with sparring. It can be done at any level of intensity, to fit the practitioner.
Let's put that statement in the context of TJS's comment (which I originally replied to)

"I agree , good points. If you have never been hit you proabably wont be prepared when someone clocks you witha good one right off the bat. "

How does light conact sparring better prepare one to be hit (do you feel)? In regards to that, what does it accomplish other than offer what a light-contact hit feels ligh through padding?

I'm not opposed to sparring. I spar every class. I don't agree with some of what has been said in regards to it.

Quote:
Eye strikes, groin grabs, throat strikes, etc., can be done in sparring with no difficulty. Either take it slow and easy, wear protective gear, or touch the forehead to simulate an eye gouge, slap the inside of the leg to simulate the groin grab, and so on.
So you don't believe "you fight how you practice" is a true statement?

David Erath
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryLove,

No, I don't believe "you fight how you practice" is a true statement. NHB fighters do not practice with near the intensity level they fight with. And, becuase you practice simulating eye gouges for instance, by thumbing the forehead, I don't think in a real situation you would resort to thumbing the forehead rather than gouging the eyes.

With regards to being prepared to take a hit. In a street situation you're not going to feel pain. You're either going to be able to continue or not. So, I don't personally feel that learning to take a punch is going to do much more than damage your brain. I am for sparring, but not because it teaches you to take a punch.

David www.hertao.com

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thnk the NHB fighters fight very much the way they train. Intensity is not what is trained, but targets, follow-through, techniquesm, responses, etc.

Look at the difference between Randori and single-step sparring and how it effects the ability to follow up. Look at the distinct lack of the use of techniques not trained, even in early NHBs when it was allowed by rules.

I have no dobt that when the adreneline goes, yuo are goting to move faster, harder, and with more intensity than wn you train. Heck, most of us can relate personal experience there. My other personal (and observational) experience is that you do the things you have drilled in. If you've drilled in that your head is not a target, you don't protect it. If you've drilled in to pull your hit, you pull your hit. If you've drilled in a cooperative opponent, you expect cooperation.

Joe Hardwick
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big problems in martial arts training in general is not understanding the adrenaline dump and its effects on the body. When an attack occurs you will resort to what you know and how you have trained. Also, gross motor moves come out in full force and fine motor movements are discarded simply because under stress and adrenaline fine motor skills disappear. This is why feel that Scenario Based Training is so important. You can simulate a blind ambush attack, a distraction ambush attack or a verbal assault to attack or other types of attacks. Also, based the students ability you can have these scenarios as light contact to full contact with protective gear on and go all out.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i studied karate and ninpo and than i got in a fight and i lost ( i had a yellow belt in each)

i didn't fight the way i trained at all, and so i started studying bjj and boxing and am pleased with the results , you do don fight how you train, i tried fighting in horse stance and i got killed,

you need to train in practical martial arts that let you build confidence in your techniques , through sparring you can see for yourself if the techniques work or not, and thats why such arts as jkd,bjj,muay thai, judo, are gaining such popularity because they work under stress and you can rely on the techniques you have drilled in,

and for those people that believe that we practice eye gouges and stuff are just covering up because they don't have a good ma. i studied one of these mcdojo arts and was very disapointed when i had to use my skills in combat(www.tonyblauer.com)

i also agree that you will not be able to use your very detailed techniques in combat when your body releases an adrenaline dump, people also don't realise how hard it will be to strike a specific point on the body during combat , gross motor skills should be trained to create a good martial artists ,
this is why back in the old ufc ,royce destroyed the traditionalists, because they were using what they thought would work instead of what actually works

(just my opinion, plz don't get all worked up)

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I agree with you.

jujitsufighter...

Quote:
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i studied karate and ninpo and than i got in a fight and i lost ( i had a yellow belt in each)

i didn't fight the way i trained at all, and so i started studying bjj and boxing and am pleased with the results , you do don fight how you train, i tried fighting in horse stance and i got killed,

I'm unclear. Either you faught how you trained and your Karate failed you, or you did not fight using Karate and it was the training that failed (we cannot judge the effect of the Karate, as it was not used).

Quote:
you need to train in practical martial arts that let you build confidence in your techniques , through sparring you can see for yourself if the techniques work or not, and thats why such arts as jkd,bjj,muay thai, judo, are gaining such popularity because they work under stress and you can rely on the techniques you have drilled in

This is pure supposition submitted as fact. I doubt sincerely you have any reasearch to determine weather said arts are waxing or waning, much less why. Certainly, that is not the classic reason for the popularity of an art; look at the owrlds most popular (TKD)

Quote:
and for those people that believe that we practice eye gouges and stuff are just covering up because they don't have a good ma.

I'm afraid I do not udnerstand this sentance.

Quote:
this is why back in the old ufc ,royce destroyed the traditionalists, because they were using what they thought would work instead of what actually works
He's not winning these days huh? Wonder why?

BTW, Jujitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai, and Wrestling are all "traditional", at least in terms of age.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get my butt kicked if I just had a yellow belt in any style.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omnifinite wrote:
I'd get my butt kicked if I just had a yellow belt in any style.

Im a yellow belt and Im pretty sure I can handle myself pretty well...

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royce might be oldschool and might not be winning
but how about RYAN GRACIE, MARIO SPERRY,VANDERLEI SILVA AND VITOR BELFORT

ppl that say they would just rely on eye gouging and such only say that because their ma sucks and they need to use those techniques to replace actual functioning techniques

and i studied karate and fought using my karate skills and i got beaten , not because i had poor technique , my technique was fine, but because the techiques i learned were ****.

and the arts you have described above(bjj,mt,etc..)
might have been traditional ,but they are not now, and they are not afraid of change, to make their techniques work better, unlike in other traditional ma's , where you can't change anything, you have to preserve the tradition of the art.

no more excuses must be given out, when i signed up for karate i was told i would be learning street realistic self-defense that was clearly not the case ,

most of these people are just scamming their students for their money, its like after 3 years they guarantee you a black belt.

and don't insult royce, when was the last time you saw a silat guy step into the ring , oh ya ,never!!

David Erath
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify a couple of things. First, I'm sure that the techniques and methods you use in practice, if they are effective and internalized, will be what you use in a fight. So, in that sense I do think you fight the way you practice. My statement was made regarding intesity, not techniques and methods, as the question was related to older people being hit hard.

"and for those people that believe that we practice eye gouges and stuff are just covering up because they don't have a good ma." I also have no idea what this means.

My point was that sparring critical, and that you can spar with any techniques, by either lowering the intensity, wearing protective gear, or modifying the dangerous technique, the eye gouge being one example. BJJ fighters can easily put eye gouges into their practice. There is no excuse for NOT sparring, regardless of the techniques you use.

Back to the original subject...there are three critical components to self-defense training, drilling a technique, scenario training (learning to apply the technique to a particular situation), and sparring. The techniques you use with in this matrix must be efficient and effective. That's where style comes in. If you're punching from the hip, and moving from front stance to front stance, your going to get in trouble...

David www.hertao.com
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: