Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ueshirokarate
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi, BJJ and a little bit of Judo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
MasterPain wrote:
Lupin1 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Its like defending ourselves is becoming a bad thing, and those who do it have to be punished, like those who brought it on them.

I knew that was true when I was suspended in middle school because some kid punched me in the face. I didn't even hit back, but if i had... I would love to encourage my students to fight back when someone's picking on them, but I would be so fired.

I noticed a kid doing his homework at the gym yesterday. In the health class book there was a chapter on violence. I asked to read it. The words self defense did not exist, but zero tolerance does. In other words we will punish you for defending yourself.

Yep. This is happening, and its bad. The punishment for bullying isn't severe enough to deter those who do it. Suspend them from school? They don't care, because they likely don't want to be there anyway.

I tell my kids to not put up with it, and if they have to fight, go for it. I'll take care of the teachers. They may get in trouble at school, but they won't with me, if they are in the right.

tallgeese wrote:
I get the sentiment. I really do. And it it's your own personal properity from your home, have at it. It your stuff, your life, and your wife has no one to sue if you get killed.

However, if you're at work and some dude runs off with merchandise really, why chase him?

It's not your stuff, it's not from someone in real need, and there are policies PROHIBITING you from doing so. That's because if someone gets killed chasing a bad guy, guess what, thier wife can and will sue the store. Now they have to settle or fight it at cost thru the courts.

No one wins.

I agree here, when it comes down to property. In this sue-happy world of people who lack accountability, this will happen. Possessions, unless they are yours, from your home, aren't really worth it. I'm sure WalMart has some clause in their insurance to cover loss like that.

I do remember while I was in the academy watching a video not of a theft, but of a domestic battery in progress, and the convenience store attendants just stood by and watched. I think they did call the cops, but they did not intervene with the beating. The reason was because this store branch has a policy that states that its employees will not intervene in fights like this. Property, I can understand. But, watching this video really got to me. If it meant my job, I'd probably be willing to give it up to stop a physical beating. But, I'm sure they had the policy in place for much the same reason WalMart has this policy above.

A sane man. Thank you for this, I was beginning to lose all hope for humanity.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen somethingsimularat the Wal-Mart I work at. A memeber of management tackled a suspected shop lifter at the front doors and was given his walking papers. For the first reason this wasn't his first time comitting such an act. Secondly the company has a zero touch policy on apprehending shop lifters. Meaning if they are confronted and ask to come with the loss prevention associate and they make a run for it, the nconfrintation ends there.
No on the other hand last week employees of a Huston area Wal-Mart call the police on a disorderly drunk. at 2:30 A.M. and an office responcded to the call and was pronouced dead at the sence at 2:44 A.M. A couple of employees disarmed and wrestled the suspect to the ground and Wal- Mart is singing praises to them. So go figure.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: If I had a DOLLAR Reply with quote

[quote="MasterPain"][quote="Lupin1"][quote="bushido_man96"]Its like defending ourselves is becoming a bad thing, and those who do it have to be punished, like those who brought it on them.[/quote]

I knew that was true when I was suspended in middle school because some kid punched me in the face. I didn't even hit back, but if i had... I would love to encourage my students to fight back when someone's picking on them, but I would be so fired.[/quote]

I noticed a kid doing his homework at the gym yesterday. In the health class book there was a chapter on violence. I asked to read it. The words self defense did not exist, but zero tolerance does. In other words we will punish you for defending yourself.

I will agree that in most situations it is best to walk away, or run. However, if you can't get away, crying in the fetal position is not a very good defense. Also they say to tell an adult. Good idea, but which adult? If the book tells kids how to deal with violence and says to tell an adult, it should say when to tell a teacher or call 911. Some adults just do not care. Also what do you do if the violence is abuse? There was no mention of dealing with child abuse. What should a kid do if they tell a teacher and nothing changes?[/quote]

In my life, I have had SO MANY situations where I needed to defend myself. I was a small kid when I was growing up (thanks to an AMAZING growth spurt, I am now 6'6"; however, when I graduated high school I was 5'7" and a chubby little kid).
I had to learn alternative methods of defense... and as a teacher, should I ever get there, I know I cannot teach it, but as a parent, I will and do teach defense of one's well-being. I learned the zero-tolerance way and realized one thing, that I ended up beaten up, and nobody cared...
That being said...
When I worked security, the 'primary' objective of a security officer (and ubiquitous even if differently quoted) is to 'observe, and report anomalies in the normal operations of the area assigned to the guard him/herself'.
I have WATCHED places that I worked being robbed, and I wrote down the information that I had and called 911 for a reason... NOTHING IS WOTH YOUR LIFE... you are better off letting the property leave.
That being said...
If it is a matter of self defense, I believe in ending the threat as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. I use legal means within the letter of the law (which I study because it is a chosen concept for me). I employ armed and unarmed self-defense as legally mandated, or as close to the law as I can.
Excellent post and great idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: