Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shudokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Equipment list. Reply with quote

Well I'm starting karate in may and I need to go get my equipment while we still have money. So far I know we'll have money for my gi when I start the class. I don't know what else I'll need. The dojo has most of the gear there that you can use, but I am going to be doing full contact sparring with a friend sense the dojo doesn't do full contact. So can someone tell me what I'll need besides a heavy bag to do full contact sparring?

hobz
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mouth guard and if you wanna be even more safe get a sparring helmet. On a side note, something you might want to do is buy a note book and designate it your "karate book". Last night my sensei told us about these, he said that you don't start karate till you become a 2nd Degree Blackbelt (2nd DAN i think? dont wanna mix em up though ). And when you go to test for your Blackbelts, there is many essays to write about karate, you need to know the philosiphical ideas behind the movements, the history, etc. So, get a book, and take notes !

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all I shoudl get is a mouth guard and helmet? No gloves? Oh yeah and I don't know if I need a journal at my school, so I'll ask the instructor.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A training journal is a good idea for any type of physical training. It allows you to keep track of your process. And can also be used to set goals and the path you plan to take to achieve them.

hobz
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I ment is more of a book to take notes on history that your teacher talks about maybe, or a lecture class. he calls it the "karate book". Can also keep track of technique.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks everyone, now I gotta get enough money to buy the stuff.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Equipment list. Reply with quote

BKJ1216 wrote:
Well I'm starting karate in may and I need to go get my equipment while we still have moneyI don't know what else I'll need.

My suggestion is to wait unitl you actually begin taking class and find out exactly what you'll be needing!
I mean you could be either wasting your money or buying the incorrect items your particular school requires that you have.

I understand you're excited to begin but you may even have to wait a designated time in order to even begin to spar.
... is it May 12th yet????

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Equipment list. Reply with quote

KickChick wrote:
BKJ1216 wrote:
Well I'm starting karate in may and I need to go get my equipment while we still have moneyI don't know what else I'll need.

My suggestion is to wait unitl you actually begin taking class and find out exactly what you'll be needing!
I mean you could be either wasting your money or buying the incorrect items your particular school requires that you have.

I understand you're excited to begin but you may even have to wait a designated time in order to even begin to spar.
... is it May 12th yet????

My dojo gives the equipment for free. I wanted to do full contact sparring with a friend and I wanted to know what type of equpiment I shoudl get for that.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would really be better to wait a few months after you start training before you attempt full contact sparring with friends.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightsMS wrote:
It would really be better to wait a few months after you start training before you attempt full contact sparring with friends.

How come?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: