Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts and Politics
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 2202
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Etiquette at your dojo Reply with quote

last night i was out with a few friends and we had an interesting conversation last night whilst at the pub about etiquette at our respective dojo's. I found it rather interesting to hear what their schools do for it.

What do you all have as etiquette at your dojo/s?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 2431
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Etiquette" is quite a broad term, I think. Did you have something specific in mind?

We expect everyone to be respectful, bow on and off the mat, bow in and out of class, and bow to their partners before and after working with them. We try to keep the kids in the habit of saying "yes, sir" or "yes, ma'am" (as appropriate), but we sometimes forget to make them keep it up. Those types of things are fairly standard etiquette in most dojo, I think.
_________________
Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson
Shorin-Ryu | 2010-Present: Nidan | Sensei: Richard Poage, Jeff Allred
Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker, Adrian Rivera
My Blog: www.karateobsession.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 235
Location: Canada
Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowing
No curse words
Treat people with respect
wearing white gis as tradition in our group
Dojo kun
cleaning floors after class

ext and so on.

We dont let anyone NOT do something.you must show respect and follow the house rules.
_________________
Even monkeys fall from trees
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 2202
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
"Etiquette" is quite a broad term, I think. Did you have something specific in mind?

We expect everyone to be respectful, bow on and off the mat, bow in and out of class, and bow to their partners before and after working with them. We try to keep the kids in the habit of saying "yes, sir" or "yes, ma'am" (as appropriate), but we sometimes forget to make them keep it up. Those types of things are fairly standard etiquette in most dojo, I think.


certain behaviors in class (including before and after) basically. like kensei mentioned as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Posts: 891
Location: MK in the UK
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shihan has started to tighten up on such things!

We do all of what is mentioend above, as well as other things (I'll guess)
So rather than list sneezing and scratching body parts I'll mentioned the stuff being pickup at the moment.

The last couple of weeks have been more Kihon based for example than we are accustomed to! (this is not a negative, no no the change from 90% fight 10% basics to doing about 50/50 now is going to be noticed! and it has been)

Both shihan and sensai were students of Hanshi Arneil,, as such since his promotion to Shihan he has been doing lots of back to grass roots stuff with us all.

Likewise dojo etiquette and humility are all being pickup on when this or that isn't quiet the way it was when there under Hanshi.

To this I understand that sensai spent time in Japan as (I forget the term now) a 'live in student' so he is adding in Japan codes of conduct as well.

For example:
    In the past if we were late we would kneel and wait to be invited in and then join in a 'rank' position.
    Now if we were late we kneel and wait to be invited in and then join in at the back on the end or if invited to by shihan to our 'rank' position.


    If joining the line (you're not late in this example) and step into line and note you are 'squeezed' we would gently nudge or guide one of the guys over a little to get some space.
    Not anymore, now you retain your position and let the lesson equal you out with the others.


    Entering or leaving the dojo has always been face into the dojo, bow and say "Osu!".
    This is changed a little now.
    Leaving is turn bow etc as always, but entering is face into the dojo bow etc and approach the senior grade greet them with both hands clasped in the hand shake and then the next senior grade (The teachers 99.9% of the time) and a polite respectful bow to the 'class' in general.


    We've mostly held the last stance or position until told other wise but if there is a long moment of focus/attention to something or someone, some of the guys would relax and wait.
    We're not relax like this we are to hold the last stance or etc until told other wise.


    When called out or pulled over to be used for a demonstration, do so quickly do not dawdle.
    In the past we would just walk over


When warming up waiting for class to start:
    Chatter to kept to a minimum
    No joking around generally. (Horse play)
    Sparring should not be done, unless with a senior grade present (Dan grades)
    Do not use any equipment

_________________
A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.
Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
Shihan has started to tighten up on such things!

We do all of what is mentioend above, as well as other things (I'll guess)
So rather than list sneezing and scratching body parts I'll mentioned the stuff being pickup at the moment.

The last couple of weeks have been more Kihon based for example than we are accustomed to! (this is not a negative, no no the change from 90% fight 10% basics to doing about 50/50 now is going to be noticed! and it has been)

Both shihan and sensai were students of Hanshi Arneil,, as such since his promotion to Shihan he has been doing lots of back to grass roots stuff with us all.

Likewise dojo etiquette and humility are all being pickup on when this or that isn't quiet the way it was when there under Hanshi.

To this I understand that sensai spent time in Japan as (I forget the term now) a 'live in student' so he is adding in Japan codes of conduct as well.

For example:
    In the past if we were late we would kneel and wait to be invited in and then join in a 'rank' position.
    Now if we were late we kneel and wait to be invited in and then join in at the back on the end or if invited to by shihan to our 'rank' position.


    If joining the line (you're not late in this example) and step into line and note you are 'squeezed' we would gently nudge or guide one of the guys over a little to get some space.
    Not anymore, now you retain your position and let the lesson equal you out with the others.


    Entering or leaving the dojo has always been face into the dojo, bow and say "Osu!".
    This is changed a little now.
    Leaving is turn bow etc as always, but entering is face into the dojo bow etc and approach the senior grade greet them with both hands clasped in the hand shake and then the next senior grade (The teachers 99.9% of the time) and a polite respectful bow to the 'class' in general.


    We've mostly held the last stance or position until told other wise but if there is a long moment of focus/attention to something or someone, some of the guys would relax and wait.
    We're not relax like this we are to hold the last stance or etc until told other wise.


    When called out or pulled over to be used for a demonstration, do so quickly do not dawdle.
    In the past we would just walk over


When warming up waiting for class to start:
    Chatter to kept to a minimum
    No joking around generally. (Horse play)
    Sparring should not be done, unless with a senior grade present (Dan grades)
    Do not use any equipment


That's very interesting
_________________
"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."
Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6148
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:

To this I understand that sensai spent time in Japan as (I forget the term now) a 'live in student' so he is adding in Japan codes of conduct as well.

For example:
    In the past if we were late we would kneel and wait to be invited in and then join in a 'rank' position.
    Now if we were late we kneel and wait to be invited in and then join in at the back on the end or if invited to by shihan to our 'rank' position.


    If joining the line (you're not late in this example) and step into line and note you are 'squeezed' we would gently nudge or guide one of the guys over a little to get some space.
    Not anymore, now you retain your position and let the lesson equal you out with the others.


    Entering or leaving the dojo has always been face into the dojo, bow and say "Osu!".
    This is changed a little now.
    Leaving is turn bow etc as always, but entering is face into the dojo bow etc and approach the senior grade greet them with both hands clasped in the hand shake and then the next senior grade (The teachers 99.9% of the time) and a polite respectful bow to the 'class' in general.


    We've mostly held the last stance or position until told other wise but if there is a long moment of focus/attention to something or someone, some of the guys would relax and wait.
    We're not relax like this we are to hold the last stance or etc until told other wise.


    When called out or pulled over to be used for a demonstration, do so quickly do not dawdle.
    In the past we would just walk over


When warming up waiting for class to start:
    Chatter to kept to a minimum
    No joking around generally. (Horse play)
    Sparring should not be done, unless with a senior grade present (Dan grades)
    Do not use any equipment

We have very much the same in our TKD dojang and this is common in my style. We're not overly disciplined compared to some schools but we:

- wait be the door and join in at the back when invited if late, no reshuffling the lines unless invited to by the instructor
- when lining up, walk behind your seniors, don't cross in front of them to get to your spot
- give way to seniors (both in age and rank)
- seniors should be called sir/miss or appropriate title (not really enforced except with instructor and very senior people)
- if asked a question or asked to demonstrate say "yes sir/miss" and stand up If sitting down
- bow on entering and leaving if a senior grade is in the room
- greet instructors and seniors both class, thank them after, and introduce yourself to any new or visiting students
- if you need to adjust your dobok or hair or something, turn around or step to the side in between exercises and do it quickly

Probably more rules that I can't remember because I take them for granted now.
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14401
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Dojo Kun just wonderful!!


_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Posts: 891
Location: MK in the UK
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Isn't the Dojo Kun just wonderful!!



hehe !
Back when I started MA (back in the '80 ...or something <cough>) we would say it at the end of each and every lesson!

This is not done in this dojo and as only a handful of us remember 'them days' we do wonder if we are to start at some point saying it again!

the Kyokushin dojo kun:
http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/en/home/dojokun.htm
_________________
A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.
Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14401
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Isn't the Dojo Kun just wonderful!!



hehe !
Back when I started MA (back in the '80 ...or something <cough>) we would say it at the end of each and every lesson!

This is not done in this dojo and as only a handful of us remember 'them days' we do wonder if we are to start at some point saying it again!

the Kyokushin dojo kun:
http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/en/home/dojokun.htm

What I love about the Kun you've linked to is this...

No rules; just a philosophical mindset!!



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts and Politics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >