Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melau wrote:
Never seen that be done. Not that I would mind if that practise became more common. But it should be for the right reasons and with the right arguments!

I agree! Albeit, the reasons and the arguments are those of the governing body/CI/ETC, and once that decision has been made, nothing can be done!!

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a very serious action. One that cannot be taken lightly and explained in full detail after the appropriate consideration.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

bjones0727
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate, TaeKwonDo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in a do jang where the instructor practiced this. Others were right that it was rarely, if ever, an adult. Usually children for misbehaving (not only in class but at home/school as well) and also for disrespecting parents. They were treated as a white belt until they were able to align their attitudes and write an apology letter to whomever the incidents concerned. Then they were allowed to receive back their belt and continue working on their level techniques. If this meant the child lost the belt for a month, and in return, was unable to test next cycle, then so be it. Ultimately, it was the martial artist's choice as to how they behaved and the consequences, good or bad, were to follow.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never take away that which was earned...but I will not advance a student who cannot uphold the responsibilities of their rank and the expectations of the dojo.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally; I am against the taking away of a belt, as I consider them something earned, and as something that reflects the knowledge and standard the student should be at. One cannot take away that knowledge or skill; only the student can lose it by laziness and lack of attentiveness.

When I taught children; I did used to run a regular grading every four months, and I would stop someone grading for behavioural reasons or would fail them on a grading for misbehavior. However, that is not something I would do with an adult. An adult who cannot regulate their behaviour, I have just refused to continue teaching, and have barred them from attending. One cannot be harsh with children.

The closest I have come to taking away rank, is when someone stopped and was a way for a while but returned. I would ask them to wear a white belt, until the opportunity to regrade them came along. I would usually give them five sessions, or until up to the next scheduled grading depending on what seemed more suitable for the case, and if they were up to the standard expected of their former grade I would allow them to return to wearing their former colours. On rare occasions I did find a reason to grade them to above where they stopped so I feel it was a pretty fair approach.

I would never take away a belt; however, that is due to my approach to teaching and philosophy regarding the matter. Yet, for a club specifically designed for children, where learning discipline is one of the goals; then it might be a useful tool to someone running such a club.

Edit: I can also see the reason for an association or organisation to remove rank recognition from a senior member, for disciplinary reasons, and to preserve there own reputation in the case of severe misconduct. Point being that such an action is to reflect an attitude, which much sometimes regretfully be done, rather than actual discipline. Politics, but we cannot avoid them on times.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
Personally; I am against the taking away of a belt, as I consider them something earned, and as something that reflects the knowledge and standard the student should be at. One cannot take away that knowledge or skill; only the student can lose it by laziness and lack of attentiveness.

When I taught children; I did used to run a regular grading every four months, and I would stop someone grading for behavioural reasons or would fail them on a grading for misbehavior. However, that is not something I would do with an adult. An adult who cannot regulate their behaviour, I have just refused to continue teaching, and have barred them from attending. One cannot be harsh with children.

The closest I have come to taking away rank, is when someone stopped and was a way for a while but returned. I would ask them to wear a white belt, until the opportunity to regrade them came along. I would usually give them five sessions, or until up to the next scheduled grading depending on what seemed more suitable for the case, and if they were up to the standard expected of their former grade I would allow them to return to wearing their former colours. On rare occasions I did find a reason to grade them to above where they stopped so I feel it was a pretty fair approach.

I would never take away a belt; however, that is due to my approach to teaching and philosophy regarding the matter. Yet, for a club specifically designed for children, where learning discipline is one of the goals; then it might be a useful tool to someone running such a club.

Edit: I can also see the reason for an association or organisation to remove rank recognition from a senior member, for disciplinary reasons, and to preserve there own reputation in the case of severe misconduct. Point being that such an action is to reflect an attitude, which much sometimes regretfully be done, rather than actual discipline. Politics, but we cannot avoid them on times.

Solid post!! I understand the context as well as the content of what you're saying, and in that, it's personal to you, as it should be.

We've never taken away the belt itself because that's personal property, and to do so, imho, is akin to stealing...NOT ON MY WATCH!! The taken of "belt/rank" is an Administrative event, and therefore, the "rank/belt" is taken away ON PAPER!! Once the notice/action has been approved by all interested departments, and all the proper signatures have been acquired, and the student has been properly notified, and all appeals, if any, have been exhausted, that said students CI will present said student with a new belt that reflects any and all Administrative actions. All necessary documentations will be added to said students hard-file immediately.

The knowledge, is, imho, eternal!! I can no longer take that, as I can no longer take the wind out of the air!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never personally seen it, but I have heard about it often enough to believe that it is one of the popular disciplinary actions used with youths or children. The reason it works is the same as giving the belts in the first place. If rank and grading were less important than actual skill level, taking away a belt or rank would have no effect as a punishment.

In most cases I heard, demotion was the intermediate punishment. Serious offenses would result in the culprit being expelled immediately with one chance to return with an apology. In some less common cases the apology had to be written and signed. Immediate and final expulsion was for very serious things such as anything involving the law.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, if a student has an infraction, such as bullying or starting fights, and deserves to have his belt taken away...I just kick them out of class permanently instead.

I give every new student a standard speech when they join the class, and this speech includes "If I ever hear of you using what I teach you in an aggessive manner, such as starting fights physically, or verbally, you will be kicked out of my dojo pernmanently."

And yes, I've enforced this on several occasions.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen a belt taken away, but I have seen privileges stripped away. One guy I was acquainted with went to jail for molesting students. He's now persona non grata in Kukki-TKD circles. I do not know if his rank was stripped, but he'd be a good candidate for it.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills cannot be taken away but ranks can be erased. In the Far East, old-school teachers would disown and banish a student who committed a serious offense. The offender was expelled and the expulsion was made known to other teachers as martial arts teachers were often well acquainted with their peers. Word spread quickly and soon the blacklisted student would be refused everywhere. Being involved in Okinawan karate circles, I have heard of this happening a few times even in branch dojos in North America and elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: