Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: ever seen a belt taken away? Reply with quote

I have only been training 1.5 yrs. Recently our Sensei took a student's belt away. Its a kid in my son's school classroom and I know the boy has been having issues with control at school and in the Dojo. Is this a "not uncommon occurrence", to see a belt removed (at least temporarily)?

liton102
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Modern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an uncommon occurance

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's uncommon/rare, but it happens. When it does, the infraction has to be severe enough to warrant it.

Rank is forever. However, the knowledge is what's forever; that can't be removed. The rank, is just a thing, and things can be removed whenever the governing body sees fit; they don't need a reason because they possess the proprietary rights over whatever the thing might be.

Our Hombu has done this before, but the infraction was so severe per the governing body, that to them, it had to be done!!

Welcome to the world of MA politics. We don't have to like it and we don't have to agree with it, but, it's not our place in the first place.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of holding an advanced rank at our school is having the correct attitude and setting an example for the lower ranks. I have seen our instructors demote a student one belt temporarily (usually for a week or two) for constant misbehavior or constantly giving zero effort. It's very rare, but it's happened a few times and it wakes the whole class up when it does happen.

It's a good reminder that there's more to rank than skill and knowledge. Your attitude plays a big part, as well.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's for a different reason but I did have my belt taken away once.

I left my belt at the dojo one night by mistake, my instructor found it and when I showed up the next day he informed me that I would be treated as a "no belt" until he decided to give it back.. 2 weeks later I got it back and I never forgot to take it home again!

In our school people start without a belt, you have to earn even the white belt, so when I say "no belt" that's what I mean.. You start at the back of class, no privledges, etc.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people being asked not to return to the dojo because of such things. Never seen a belt taken away though.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah we earn our white belts too, but fast. In the adult class we "rib" each other if we forget our belt. I was a student of 2-3 months and laid mine on the floor when it fell off (I will never forget that verbal dress down).

This 7yr old is big (3-4 inches taller than my same age son who is on the taller size) and pushy and verbally deeming. This boy "thinks" he is being funny, his father is the same way.

I noticed since the kid lost his belt he refuses to wear his gi top (even during testing week) and wears his blue shirt and lines up with the blue belts (which I am guessing was not Sensei's intention).

I realize he is only 7 but someone needs to knock this kid down a peg or two because he is only getting bigger and stronger.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very uncommon for it to occur. I have done it once previously where 2 students have been misbehaving badly enough that it warranted the removal of their belt but only til the end of class and not for an extended amount of time.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't terribly common, but it does happen. It's much more rare with adults than children, though. My Sensei has taken belts away from three students, that I can recall--every one of them under the age of 9. Kids go through a lot of changes as they grow up, and martial arts can contribute to that in a positive way, but only to a point. Hopefully your instructor has followed up with the parents to discuss the issue.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Melau
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen that be done. Not that I would mind if that practise became more common. But it should be for the right reasons and with the right arguments!

Gichin Funakoshi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: