Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Everlast Axis Punching Bag Reply with quote

I was in Dick's Sporting Goods the other day, and as I always do, I went over to the Boxing/MA section to slap around a few bags. While there, I saw the (I'm assuming) new Everlast Axis bag. It's a floorstanding bag like the Century Versys Vs. bag, but with a twist: it stands back up on its own after you knock it down.

I've been interested in the Versys Vs. bag and the Reactor bag. They swing quite a bit when you hit them, disrupting your timing and forcing you to hit a more moving target than a traditional heavy bag. Basically, somewhere between a heavy bag and a double ended bag. My problem with both Century bags is the implementation; they're a great idea on paper, but hitting them is an exercise in frustration to me as they're easily knocked over. Of course they're not made for developing power, but a few well timed and placed shots knock them over easier than they should IMO.

The Everlast Axis bag addresses this quite well. Punch it and knock it down completely, and it pops right back up like the blow-up punching bags we had as kids. It's not a heavy bag, but it took a bit more force from a single blow to knock it over than the Century Versys Vs that was right next to it. And if you're quick enough you could jump on it before it gets back up for some ground and pound if that tickles your fancy.

At $250 it's expensive but not outrageous IMO. It seemed better quality than the Versys Vs for the same price, and much better than the Reactor for $100. The Versys Vs develops a lean to it which makes me question how long it'll last, and the Reactors I've seen in the stores all permanently bent completely in half near the bottom, making them useless. This doesn't look like it'll have those issues.

If you've got a store around you that carries this stuff, check it out. It was pretty fun to play with and seems like a great training tool. It won't replace a traditional heavy bag, but it's a great addition and/or tool to use for its intended purpose. Now that the downstairs tenants have cleared out most of their stuff from the basement, I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks. I'll report back when I do.

Everlast Axis link:
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/everlast-axis-freestanding-heavy-bag-18elsuxsfrstndnghhvy/18elsuxsfrstndnghhvy

Edit: the current Century Reactor bag is now called the Arashi 110 Recoil bag.

Edit 2: I wish there was a video of the Axis bag in action. While it's not the Axis bag, the bag in this video is essentially the same thing. The bag in this video seems leather and higher/more professional quality. And this bag is about 3 times more money. Just posting it to give you an idea of how the Axis bag works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCdLIP68_qs

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a very useful training tool. We've got some free standing bags in our gym that just tend to fall over (not the Wavemasters, but more like you described initially). This one seems very nice. Do keep us posted on the review.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That looks like a very useful training tool. We've got some free standing bags in our gym that just tend to fall over (not the Wavemasters, but more like you described initially). This one seems very nice. Do keep us posted on the review.

My daughter and I were in there again tonight for some basketball stuff for her. We both just had to hit the thing a bit. She approves

I’m getting some extra money soon from some side work I’m finishing up. Might as well buy it with that. Between that and getting the basement cleaned up and organized, it’ll be a few weeks.

I’ll do some video of it when I get it and email it to whoever’s interested. I don’t know YouTube and the like to post anything. Unless of course a good video pops up in the meantime.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty good and better than the Versys. I think with these things I tend to hang back and see what the reviews are like in a couple of months once its been road tested.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
That looks pretty good and better than the Versys. I think with these things I tend to hang back and see what the reviews are like in a couple of months once its been road tested.

I’m the same way, Danielle. One thing I like to do is see the stuff that’s been on the floor for a while and see how it’s holding up. Seeing the Versys in a few places, they’ve all got that lean to them which makes me think it’s a matter of time until there’s too much lean and it doesn’t stand up anymore. Seeing the Reactor bag fold like it does in several stores saved me some money. Seeing the BOB’s cover rip where it attaches to the screws rip in every store kept me away from that too. I’d have bought any one of those and might have that happen to mine. That saved me money and just as importantly aggravation.

Looking at the Axis, I don’t see any red flags. It looks brand new on the floor, and I haven’t read any reviews. It seems safe enough to take a chance with it though. There doesn’t seem like there’s much to it to go wrong.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the bag last night. I was going to wait until I had the basement settled, but it was $50 off and I only had 2 hours left on the sale so I had to snatch one up.

Comes in 2 boxes. The bag portion seem pretty light. The base is about 90 lbs according to the box it’s in. Gonna do some cleaning and rearranging and hopefully I’ll have had a few sessions with it by the end of the weekend.

Dkajuguy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to purchase another Everlast axis Freestanding bag, if anyone is interested in selling please message me, Thank You.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I agree here with, Brian. I might have to add a few to my dojo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: