Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate in the Olympics will be WKF point fighting rules. And kata. It won't be a permanent sport; it'll be a demonstration/exhibition sport. Meaning the host country can add a few sports to the games that won't be permanent. If there's enough interest (read money generated), the IOC can add it permanently. I'm pretty sure medals are awarded, but I don't think they're "official" Olympic medals. It's all stupid technicalities IMO.

I'm quite sure karate will be one and done in the Olympics. I would've loved to see knockdown rules (like Kyokushin), but that didn't happen. I'll watch it, but most likely will ask myself why, because I don't like WKF rules at all.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a demonstration sport. The medals will be bona fide Olympic medals.
Changes to the selection process for Olympic sports werre made a year or two ago. There are now 25 Core Sports. Other sports such as Golf, Rugby and Karate are subject to approval for each subsequent games.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
Its not a demonstration sport. The medals will be bona fide Olympic medals.
Changes to the selection process for Olympic sports werre made a year or two ago. There are now 25 Core Sports. Other sports such as Golf, Rugby and Karate are subject to approval for each subsequent games.

Good to see you, wayneshin.

I've seen a few conflicting reports on karate in the Olympics. I was pretty sure it was a medal sport, but I read in a few places that it's an event the host country gets to add for that Olympiad, and not a permanent addition. It can get picked up as a regular event, but there's a lot of conditions from the IOC.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey- welcome aboard...

So to put this simply- try doing some Muay Thai. Full contact like kyokushin but you can also punch to the face. Primary concern is learning how to fight, not score points.

In terms of teaching, as an instructor one can always add their influence but it's less proper to force people to adopt your mindset or strategies. You have to lead them to the watering hole, but they make the choice to drink or not, you know?

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up studying Karate from aged 9, I always wanted to compete and win...now aged 41, I purely want to train to help make me a better person, to be able to walk with confidence at night (I do this a LOT) and to be the person I want to be....Powerful (internally) and peaceful, that is all.

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same position now as the author of this thread. Been doing Karate 37 years and never wanted to do it for sport. Now I am in an regional organization pushing sport. Not sure if I want to stay because the EGO issues are coming back again. I find with sport comes ego.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing in a karate club when I'm opposed to sports kar Reply with quote

OkamiBlack wrote:
Hi.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqQWN7X6FLU
Bloody Matt Mullins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG4kSydyp-U

How I wish I could unsee both of those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: