Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: explaining bruises in the workplace Reply with quote

Some jobs are understanding with MA cuts and bruises, but sometimes we need to be formal, present at a conference, or guide a lecture. Having visible bruises (especially something like a black eye) looks rather unprofessional in these settings.

What do you all do to manage this?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had to worry about it in any of my jobs, but my girlfriend has just used makeup in the past, when necessary
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it can be explained depends a lot on the workplace and line of work one has. It also depends on whether or not anybody there knows about one’s martial arts training.

Claiming an accident usually works fine or even just going about your business as usual would also work. This is not limited to martial arts as just about anyone who has a risky hobby or plays contact sports is bound to have a few dings, bruises and scrapes once in a while. The idea is to focus away from the visible injury by giving only short simple explanations only if asked.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first rule of Fight Club is you don’t talk about Fight Club.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing happens from time to time, especially when participating in a contact sport/activity. It can be minimized, though. For example, if you know you have an important meeting or presentation coming up at work (like within the week), then maybe don't spar early in the week at class. After the professional obligation, have at it.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
The first rule of Fight Club is you don’t talk about Fight Club.

bushido_man96 wrote:
This thing happens from time to time, especially when participating in a contact sport/activity. It can be minimized, though. For example, if you know you have an important meeting or presentation coming up at work (like within the week), then maybe don't spar early in the week at class. After the professional obligation, have at it.

Unfortunately, I have to present at a conference the week before the Pan American Games, so I don't get that luxury.

I am actually already sporting a black eye, funny enough, and not from free sparing either. It happened during a basic sparing drill where we were supposed to do 20 exchanges in a row, then counter. As I did the prescribed counter attack I got a bonus aiuchi punch to the face because my opponent made a mistake counting. Haha! I suppose the lesson learned is to always be aware or something like that. Still, these platitudes I tell myself based on hindsight don't help my current predicament.

It wouldn't be so bad if I knew how to put on makeup, but I'm kind of new at this. Yesterday I think I did a better job. Today I am satisfied with making it look a little less dramatic.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not ever had to explain any things like this because, well, I've been fortunate enough to earn my living solely from the MA; dojo and the like!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know today I don't think it's such a big thing to admit you like fighting as a pastime MMA is really popular and the Olympics has helped popularize Judo and Taekwon-Do. And of course everyone knows boxing. IMHO I have no issue in telling people I do Martial Arts.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be fathomable to everyone, but the are quite a few professions and lines of work where the way a person looks may negatively influence or cause problems in both business and social interactions. Frequent, regular and obvious injuries; or signs that could possibly be seen by the public as a potential or liking to physical violence can and will be a handicap. In the worst of cases it will frighten potential clients, coworkers and partners. It can even attract the wrong sort of people leading to unwanted and unnecessary interactions. This has always been a legitimate concern but even more so recently as many modern societies everywhere have become over sensitive.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
This may not be fathomable to everyone, but the are quite a few professions and lines of work where the way a person looks may negatively influence or cause problems in both business and social interactions. Frequent, regular and obvious injuries; or signs that could possibly be seen by the public as a potential or liking to physical violence can and will be a handicap. In the worst of cases it will frighten potential clients, coworkers and partners. It can even attract the wrong sort of people leading to unwanted and unnecessary interactions. This has always been a legitimate concern but even more so recently as many modern societies everywhere have become over sensitive.

I don't disagree but can you give an example of such a profession?

I work in B2B sales and whilst I never have walked in with a black eye I can't say having bruises has every lost me a sale. If anything its a conversation starter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: