Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

dre2308
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: External force Vs Internal force (video) Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyUi6Itcxo&feature=channel_video_title

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what they're practicing. By the looks of it, it's just a well trained deep front stance. That's exactly what they were designed to do. I've done similar things myself. Admittedly not on that scale. But close nonetheless. Or could there be something I'm not seeing here?

dre2308
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a type of white crane fajin ( internal power) that the video is showing, which is done by incorporating the specific body movement and breathing technique (QiGong).

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, the guy isn't really doing anything all that special. It doesn't have anything to do with "internal" or "external," but more about body position, body mechanics, and which way you push or pull someone when they are in a certain position. This kind of thing isn't relegated to the Far East, either. I've read old articles about English "parlor tricks" performed using similar body mechanics.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
If you ask me, the guy isn't really doing anything all that special. It doesn't have anything to do with "internal" or "external," but more about body position, body mechanics, and which way you push or pull someone when they are in a certain position. This kind of thing isn't relegated to the Far East, either. I've read old articles about English "parlor tricks" performed using similar body mechanics.

Agreed. The guy that was demonstrated on was a non-martial artist (supposedly, but did slap the mat when he fell backwards) and didn't know what to expect.

Nothing special at all about this in my opinion.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this video clip. External force vs Internal force. In reality this video is about balance or how to unbalance another person. This demonstration is the first thing that I teach a new student. There is nothing Int or Ext about this video. The way I teach this concept is to simply tell the other person to stay balanced while facing each other. I put two fingers lightly touching the other persons shoulders at each side and lightly rock that person. No muscle is required in this practice. I sense the direction they are leaning and slightly move them in the exact direction. Everyone is amazed at this. What is more amazing is the way to not let them be able to to it to you. The trick is to sink your weight and move with the direction they are moving in. It is baffling at first but with practice you will wonder how on earth I never new this years ago. I learned this more than twenty years ago from my Tai Chi Master.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: