Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kkennedy219
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Extra-Long Gi Pants? Reply with quote

I'm a tall woman (5' 10") and as such have been stuck wearing ill-fitting gi pants forever. Does anyone know of a brand of gi that makes a)women's sizes and b) comes in variable or extra-long inseam lengths? I need a 35" inseam in regular clothes, but for gi pants I'd be thrilled with anything longer than 33. My current ones are about 5" too short in the inseam.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

BDPulver
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Knife Training

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer short gi pants but I did stumble across something here. They where to me a bit pricey, I'll see if I cant find it again.

And your not tall

kkennedy219
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee! I always thought I was tall....in fact, I'm the 3rd tallest person in my karate class...the other 2 are men both over 6 feet.

For kumite and grappling I always get paired up with the men because the other ladies are way smaller than me. So I feel huge sometimes!

BDPulver
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Knife Training

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I havent had a chance to get one to test out myself but found the add in classical fighting arts and surpriseing there was a web addy http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Products/Pages/Meijin_Pro.htm

Not sure how well they would do with grappling though. I dont really grapple. We train to avoid that situation and if it happens to get out of the way as fast as possible.

I hope this helps a bit.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkennedy219 wrote:
I'm a tall woman (5' 10") and as such have been stuck wearing ill-fitting gi pants forever. Does anyone know of a brand of gi that makes a)women's sizes and b) comes in variable or extra-long inseam lengths? I need a 35" inseam in regular clothes, but for gi pants I'd be thrilled with anything longer than 33. My current ones are about 5" too short in the inseam.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've seen threads on women's cut uniforms. You might want to search. I don't have any first hand experience with them. I think I've seen pants (not sure about full uniforms) with long, unfinished hems, but I don't remember where, and again, I have no first hand experience with them.

You don't mention... how wide you are. Finding 33" inseam pants is easy if you don't mind if they're wide. I assume you want something long, but relatively narrow. That's what I suggest you look for, a narrow cut uniform. Stay away from anything that says tournament cut as they always have shorter pants. We carry many tournament cut uniforms and wide standard cut uniforms, but only one or two that run on the narrow side.

From what you've said, without knowing your other dimensions, I would guess you need a size 5 that runs long or a size 6 that runs narrow. Just for reference, I checked one of our standard cut heavy weight uniforms in size 5, and it has a 32" gusseted inseam. Size 6 is probably about 2" longer. It's not particularly narrow though. Maybe you could find a 5.5 somewhere that'll work for you.

BDPulver wrote:
now I havent had a chance to get one to test out myself but found the add in classical fighting arts and surpriseing there was a web addy http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Products/Pages/Meijin_Pro.htm

Not sure how well they would do with grappling though. I dont really grapple. We train to avoid that situation and if it happens to get out of the way as fast as possible.

I hope this helps a bit.

We've known the owners of Dragon Associates/Tsunami Productions for a very long time (decades). I'm not familiar with their Meijin line, but we carry their Tsunami videos and are very happy with their quality. The linked page shows the overall pant length but not the inseam. After looking at their charts, I would guess that they don't run particularly long or narrow, but you could check the measurements for yourself. On sale for $85, they're not that pricey. FYI, Dragon/Tsunami publishes Classical Fighting Arts Magazine.

kkennedy219
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess narrow cut is what I would need. I wear a size 4 gi...tried a 5 but it was waaaaaaay too wide in the waist/hips and looked silly (but the length was perfect). I haven't had much luck finding a 4 in a long enough length...sigh. I'll keep looking! Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: