Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I've lost faith, not in the MA, but in those who have been representatives of the MA. It's the dojo pageantry lead by those representatives!! All I want to do is learn the MA and teach the MA. They can have all of that dojo pageantry all they want because to me, the MA can do without the pageantry; the sooner the better.

Imho!!

I could not agree with you anymore Sensei8 but unfortunately this is the way of the world.

When you figure out how to change the mindset of 99% of the schools out there let me know. Until then I think you and all of us are stuck with it.

However that does not mean you must fall into this trap nor practice it within your own Dojo.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
I've lost faith, not in the MA, but in those who have been representatives of the MA. It's the dojo pageantry lead by those representatives!! All I want to do is learn the MA and teach the MA. They can have all of that dojo pageantry all they want because to me, the MA can do without the pageantry; the sooner the better.

Imho!!

I could not agree with you anymore Sensei8 but unfortunately this is the way of the world.

When you figure out how to change the mindset of 99% of the schools out there let me know. Until then I think you and all of us are stuck with it.

However that does not mean you must fall into this trap nor practice it within your own Dojo.

Solid post!!

Changing the mindset of 99% is a far fetched desire of mine, true enough. Not impossible; yet, not practical. Therefore, change starts with one dojo, and then with another dojo, and then again with another; there must be a start, a model to follow.

However, many practitioners love the pageantry that comes with any MA celebration; their 5 minutes of fame. They love that a fuss is made over them, and once that apple has been bitten, the fall occurs like an explosion.

So, there's the start. Someone...some dojo has to start the change. If it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. That's why my dojo and our Hombu have taken the necessary steps to end the pageantry immediately, and not in a weening manner, but cold turkey.

One, the training becomes the focus. Two, unnecessary expenses are curbed, and those expenses once used for the pageantry, are now being used for the betterment of the students; more and better training equipment, and so on and so forth.

Those of us within the Shindokan circle who've been around for quite some time were mildly shocked. Why? It was new, and not expected. Depending on the event, there was more of a shock. For example, our Annual Testing Cycle at the Hombu, ONCE held a huge celebration to honor all, and not just those who had earned a new promotion. I mean, imagine the most spectacle thing you can dream of, well, that, and then some more, was what our Award Dinner was like...in the neighborhood of $9K; no stone was not turned!! A pageantry...an unnecessary expenditure on any P&L...and that was for just that event.

The Hombu HAD a department that dealt strictly with pageantry stuff; annual expenditures in the neighborhood of $110K...GIVE ME A BREAK!! But that was what Soke wanted, and by God, that's what he got; the apple didn't have to fall far to Dai-Soke, who just followed suit.

Not all Shindokan dojo within the SKKA network followed suit. That's fine! The Hombu doesn't interfere with internal dojo politics, and what they do is up to them.

But I run the Kyuodan Dojo and the Shindokan Hombu!! I did what I felt was needed, and I did it without permission; one of my small perks of being Kaicho. I informed everyone that this is how it is, and if they didn't like it, they're free to go elsewhere. But here at the Hombu, we train!!

Student gets promoted, cool!! He/she will get their new promotion at the next class without the pageantry...and before class...behind close doors in my office or in the CI's office at the Hombu with one witness. Those who receive promotions from the Annual Testing Cycle at the Hombu, and because of the amount of testing candidates, those promotions will be mailed to the respective dojo's that they attend. How those dojo's hand out promotions is up to them.

Has anyone voiced a complaint to the Hombu or at my dojo?? Nope, not outwardly, just raised eyebrows.

I can only control that which is mine to do so!!

One dojo at a time!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho!!

Solid post!!

Changing the mindset of 99% is a far fetched desire of mine, true enough. Not impossible; not practical, either of me. Therefore, change starts with one dojo, and then with another dojo, and then again with another; there must be a start, a model to follow.

However, many practitioners love the pageantry that comes with any MA celebration; their 5 minutes of fame. They love that a fuss is made over them, and once that apple has been bitten, the fall occurs like an explosion.

So, there's the start. Someone...some dojo has to start the change. If it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. That's why my dojo and our Hombu have taken the necessary steps to end the pageantry immediately, and not in a weening manner, but cold turkey.

One, the training becomes the focus. Two, unnecessary expenses are curbed, and those expenses once used for the pageantry, are now being used for the betterment of the students; more and better training equipment, and so on and so forth.

Those of us within the Shindokan circle who've been around for quite some time were mildly shocked. Why? It was new, and not expected. Depending on the event, there was more of a shock. For example, our Annual Testing Cycle at the Hombu, ONCE held a huge celebration to honor all, and not just those who had earned a new promotion. I mean, imagine the most spectacle thing you can dream of, well, that, and then some more, was what our Award Dinner was like...in the neighborhood of $9K; no stone was not turned!! A pageantry...an unnecessary expenditure on any P&L...and that was for just that event.

The Hombu HAD a department that dealt strictly with pageantry stuff; annual expenditures in the neighborhood of $110K...GIVE ME A BREAK!! But that was what Soke wanted, and by God, that's what he got; the apple didn't have to fall far to Dai-Soke, who just followed suit.

Not all Shindokan dojo within the SKKA network followed suit. That's fine! The Hombu doesn't interfere with internal dojo politics, and what they do is up to them.

But I run the Kyuodan Dojo and the Shindokan Hombu!! I did what I felt was needed, and I did it without permission; one of my small perks of being Kaicho. I informed everyone that this is how it is, and if they didn't like it, they're free to go elsewhere. But here at the Hombu, we train!!

Student gets promoted, cool!! He/she will get their new promotion at the next class without the pageantry...and before class...behind close doors in my office or in the CI's office at the Hombu with one witness. Those who receive promotions from the Annual Testing Cycle at the Hombu, and because of the amount of testing candidates, those promotions will be mailed to the respective dojo's that they attend. How those dojo's hand out promotions is up to them.

Has anyone voiced a complaint to the Hombu or at my dojo?? Nope, not outwardly, just raised eyebrows.

One dojo at a time!!

I’m trying to wrap my head around this...
Your honbu had a $9k ceremony every time black belts were promoted? Like a sit down dinner/buffet, DJ, etc. stuff like that?

When I was promoted to shodan, my sensei tied my new belt around my waist, shook my hand, said congratulations, had a nice sentence or two to say about me, and I took my place back in line. My current dojo does the same at kyu testing. As far as I know, dan promotion is handled pretty much the same way, only the test is at honbu under Kaicho Nakamura.

I guess I missed out on my party when I earned my shodan back in the day. Maybe I’ll convince my current CI to have one for me when I earn it again

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are pretty much the same way, JR. Only we tie on our belts for the most part. One unique thing done in our association is after a black belt test at the HQ school, the GM's wife prepares a Korean meal, which is a fun time.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have various events at the dojo and honbu, but none of them are over the top as far as I’m aware/concerned.

There’s an annual black belt dinner for the dojo. As far as I’ve been told, our CI and his wife (dojo co-owners) invite the black belts to their house for dinner. They grill some food, and people bring some side dishes and drinks. Nothing elaborate by any means; just a way to have a fun meal together.

Our honbu also has an annual black belt dinner. From pictures, flyers and word of mouth, they make a large party reservation at a nice restaurant (not an upscale NYC restaurant, but a middle-range NYC one), shirt and blazer dress code. They charge a flat fee for tickets, and it works out that honbu picks up a portion of the tab. Kind of like a 75/25 student/honbu thing. It’s just a way to get people together, in-town and out of towners.

We do a beach training with a bbq afterwards in August. Everyone throws in a few bucks for the pavilion rental and burgers and dogs, and everyone brings drinks and side dishes.

And a holiday party. Everyone brings food and drinks, and black belts buy a gift or two for the kids in attendance. The kids get a raffle ticket of sorts, and that determines the order they choose a wrapped gift.

Nothing formal, elaborate, expensive, nor fancy. We just get together a few times a year outside of training. It genuinely strengthens a great atmosphere. We’re small enough of a dojo that this stuff doesn’t get anywhere near out of control.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho!!

Solid post!!

Changing the mindset of 99% is a far fetched desire of mine, true enough. Not impossible; yet, not practical. Therefore, change starts with one dojo, and then with another dojo, and then again with another; there must be a start, a model to follow.

One dojo at a time!!

I’m trying to wrap my head around this...
Your honbu had a $9k ceremony every time black belts were promoted? Like a sit down dinner/buffet, DJ, etc. stuff like that?

When I was promoted to shodan, my sensei tied my new belt around my waist, shook my hand, said congratulations, had a nice sentence or two to say about me, and I took my place back in line. My current dojo does the same at kyu testing. As far as I know, dan promotion is handled pretty much the same way, only the test is at honbu under Kaicho Nakamura.

I guess I missed out on my party when I earned my shodan back in the day. Maybe I’ll convince my current CI to have one for me when I earn it again

To the bold type above...

Yes!! In the neighborhood of 9K; things aren't cheap, and not at a small scale, but at a large scale. Rental of a huge banquet hall at a 5 star Hotel are quite pricey. Soke and Dai-Soke spared no expenses!! This Annual Dinner is for ALL RANKS, passed and failed; a celebration of THEM!!

Soke, many moons ago, held our Award Dinner at the Beverly Hills Hotel; that was extremely expensive because a room is about $1100 per night, and a bungalow is abut $1600 per night...yeah...Soke aged on that one by just looking at the bill.

Over the top? Well, that might be true, depending on whom one asks. Has anyone ever seen videos from the ATA, as far as how they recognize their promotions?? Beauty and practicality is in the eye of the beholder!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our black belt testings only happen in June/July (if someone is ready to earn a black belt... which may not happen for a couple years, now.)

Testing happens at one of our school locations, and takes quite a bit of time. Once it's completed and belts are awarded, our master instructor awards students their new ranks:

1st Dahn - embroidered belt, new uniform (white with black diamond pattern hapkido doboks)
2nd Dahn - embroidered belt with a new uniform (inversion of colors of the previous)
3rd Dahn - embroidered belt
4th Dahn - embroidered belt with a new uniform (black hapkido with red diamonds)

We then reconvene at his house for a big cook-out. This used to consist of a roast pig and a few smoked turkeys, but we've since moved to beef, lamb and turkey (to suit some dietary and religious needs.) Some side dishes, soft drinks, beer and desert are also provided. Others are brought in the potluck fashion.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Higher Self
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a simple answer, yet quite meaningful to me. I was a closed door student to my Kung Fu instructor for several years. I was there not because of anything I had done, but because my old Tae Kwon Do instructor was kind enough to refer me when I told him I wanted to explore some other art forms. My Kung Fu instructor held classes no less than 3 times a week, usually for about 3 hours at a time, for as long as I went there. My life eventually took me in another direction, mainly the military. The point of this post though, is that for all the time my instructor invested in me and the other small number of students, he never accepted a dime from me. He said he was taught that Kung Fu is a way of life and if it is shared, it is shared to improve the lives of the students. Needless to say, this is a great example of the martial arts touching lives in a positive way. I tell people all the time, the study of martial arts is about much more than just learning how to survive a fight. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with earning a living while doing something you love, but this definitely made a strong impact on me. Thanks for giving me the chance to share this experience on this forum.

http://Www.higher-self-martial-arts-health-wellness.com

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shizentai wrote:
I think there have been many faith-restoring moments in karate for me over the years, but none more so than when I realized how important stability is to a person's well-being.

I was 19 when Katrina slammed the gulf coast, taking everything in my life at the time along with it. Growing up in a gulf-coast city, this was not my first hurricane experience. Evacuations were like snow days to us as a kids, so I didn't expect anything more than a few days off from class. It probably wasn't until the third night I spent in that truck stop that I realized I was homeless. I didn't want to keep watching the TV. I wanted to do something, but everywhere I was being told to "just sit tight." For lack of another idea I started doing kata.

The more kata I did, the more I realized that no matter what I lose in life, no one can take my karate away from me. You can take away everything else, but so long as I am alive, so is my karate.

Thank you for sharing this personal experience. I will keep your realization in mind as my life and MA journey continues

Not a day without a kata

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher Self wrote:
This is a simple answer, yet quite meaningful to me. I was a closed door student to my Kung Fu instructor for several years. I was there not because of anything I had done, but because my old Tae Kwon Do instructor was kind enough to refer me when I told him I wanted to explore some other art forms. My Kung Fu instructor held classes no less than 3 times a week, usually for about 3 hours at a time, for as long as I went there. My life eventually took me in another direction, mainly the military. The point of this post though, is that for all the time my instructor invested in me and the other small number of students, he never accepted a dime from me. He said he was taught that Kung Fu is a way of life and if it is shared, it is shared to improve the lives of the students. Needless to say, this is a great example of the martial arts touching lives in a positive way. I tell people all the time, the study of martial arts is about much more than just learning how to survive a fight. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with earning a living while doing something you love, but this definitely made a strong impact on me. Thanks for giving me the chance to share this experience on this forum.

Thank you for sharing Higher Self. Great insights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: