Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Favorite fictional Karateka? Reply with quote

Few years ago I made a "favorite fictional karate styles" and now I am wondering who is your favorite fictional karateka?

Although for me himokiri-karate is a favorite style there has only been two characters who used it. They both were alright but lacked depth. It was himokiri that was scary!

That being said, my favorite Karateka is someone I presume is going to be my favorite very soon. He is going to be the very dark version of Mr. Miyagi. The master of Captain Turner, John Kreese and Terry Silver. I believe this man is going to be Master Kim Sung Yung of South Korea. There is a talk that this man grew up in Japanese ruled Korea and as a result he developed a merciless attitude that was passed on to Turner, Kreese and Silver. No idea if he is going to appear in season 4 of CK but there has always been talks of the legendary Master Kim Sung Yung who is the most ruthless and merciless master with a terror inducing Tang Soo Do/Karate skills.

If never appears then its going to be Terry Silver for me as the number 1 choice. Maybe a terrible person but one of the greatest friends you can ever hope to have in your whole life. I love and respect his gratitude.

Many to think but these are my top two favorites. Terry is number 1 .

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great question! There aren't many specific karateka in fictional stories, it feels like. It's either that they do "martial arts" or they do kung fu.

I think for my it's probably Ryu from the Street Fighter franchise. Although he isn't my go to character in the games, I do enjoy that it looks like he's doing karate when you use him.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
This is a great question! There aren't many specific karateka in fictional stories, it feels like. It's either that they do "martial arts" or they do kung fu.

I think for my it's probably Ryu from the Street Fighter franchise. Although he isn't my go to character in the games, I do enjoy that it looks like he's doing karate when you use him.

You need to play Tekken and Fatal Fury my friend

Tons of Karateka, I mean loaded with so many karateka that its not even funny. The Mishima family, Lars who is the love child of Heihachi. Not to mention fatal fury has their Kyokushin base. Baki has Doppo Who is Oyama and his ShinShinkai karate is Kyokushin. Himokiri karate also comes from Baki. While Himokiri karate is a deadly style, the character turned out to be a jobber sadly.

In these old school martial arts games I have noticed more and more karate characters. Even Virtue fighter has a Kyokushin fighter. Fighter in the wind was a karateka based on Oyama and he even had a bit of taekkyon in him.

Of course the two deadliest karate fighters of fiction are from a series called HSDK. Shio Sakaki, a drunken, angry, violent karate master who has a heart of gold. He is one of the good guys but he unintentionally comes of as a villain and is one of the mentors to a shy but good natured protagonist who is a positive influence on him.

He has a rival aka Akira Hongo who was aligned with the bad guys but ironically has a heroic characteristic to him. Both have an incredible dynamic to them despite both being supporting character. They always end up stealing the scenes from more relevant characters because they have a very complicated past with one another. Two karateka who are fan favorites and extremely popular among HSDK fans.

TANG SOO!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always did like the Karateka from the Tekken games, but I really enjoyed Hwoarang and Baek. But my favorite from the game was probably Tiger.

From Street Fighter 2, I was always a Ken fan.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot about the Tekken series! I love playing Tekken but I don't often play the karate-style fighters so I guess it just slipped my mind!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I always did like the Karateka from the Tekken games, but I really enjoyed Hwoarang and Baek. But my favorite from the game was probably Tiger.

From Street Fighter 2, I was always a Ken fan.

I had no idea who Tiger was. Steve Fox is my guy. I also liked Dragunov when I was on my sambo kick. But for sure, Tekken has tons of Karateka. I like Hworang as well. There is a martial arts after him. I love his comedic interaction with Steve. You got Boxer and Taekwondo tag team. I like that, I like that!

Baek is a bit tragic and his story hits me in the feels and so I avoid him. Real life is already bleak and tragic enough, I do not need Baek adding to it. Though from what I learned from Korean culture is that, life isn't just happiness and sunshine. Its good, no point buying false hope and hollywood happy ending.

I know your a Taekwondo guy and there is a character in Fatal Fury that I love named Kim Kahwan. Great character and taught many characters Taekwondo. He even taught a Freddy Kruger type character Taekwondo as a way to reform him and other criminals like him so they don't pray on the innocent.

In fatal Fury, there is a Korean team with TONS of Taekwondo fighters. I wish we could have seen Tang Soo Do...

Zaine wrote:
I totally forgot about the Tekken series! I love playing Tekken but I don't often play the karate-style fighters so I guess it just slipped my mind!

Lars Alexander has great Karate. Though it looks like Shorinji Kempo, he is listed as a karateka and it makes sense since he has Mishima blood running in his veins. Kazuya has precise and accurate moves. Simple, effective with great counters.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:

I second Ryu!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: