Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Fedor, Strikeforce, and Dana White Reply with quote

So, Fedor has decided to sign with Strikeforce for a few fights, and White comes out swinging with class. Here's the link to the story: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/fedor-signs-with-strikeforce-18883

I know the UFC is a legit MMA powerhouse mixed with some WWF showmanship, but seriously, Dana needs to wake up a little bit. Yes, the UFC offers (arguably) great competition, but who can really hang with Fedor in the heavyweight division? Everyone is salivating over a Lesnar/Fedor match-up, but what else, who else, is there? If Fedor comes in and destroys Lesnar, there's no way Frank Mir is going to match up well. And if Fedor is such a huge joke (see the article), why was Dana White trying so hard to get him to sign a deal with the UFC? Everyone knows that the UFC pays, but it also wants you to sign contract that may as well be retirement notices. This was more of a rant than anything, but Fedor only has 3 fights with Strikeforce. What do you think the chances of him finally giving into Dana White are after he's finished with the current deal?

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Dana meets some of Fedor's stipulations we'll never see him in the UFC. Fedor likes to be able to compete when he feels like not at the desire of the organization. Fedor still likes to compete in Sanbo matches, and mixed martial arts in Russia. Dana likes to have fighters signed to exclusive contract that the fighters can only compete for the UFC.
Dana also thinks that if Fedor is the best he'll be able to bet Lesnar. But let's say they fight and Fedor looses Dana then has the grounds to say he's not a top tier fighter. Fedor vs. Randy is a match that alot of people would like to see.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedor vs. most of the heavyweight roster is something people have been waiting to see. Not to mention, he'd go along way in shoring up the division.

I can really see why White wants his guys exclusive. Aside from people seeing them elsewhere for less, you don't want a guy you've invested big money in going and getting hurt is some fight that you're not banking any coin on.

Dana White's trying to get him because he knows that the fans will shell out for the fight, no matter his opinion of either guy.

Hopefully, we'll see him after his three fight deal, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White should have taken the high road here. I agree that if he wants Fedor that bad, then he'll work with Fedor to get him there. I really don't think Fedor cares about having to "prove" he is the best by bending to the will of the UFC. I think this is one situation that White is not going to win, and his words at the end of that article won't help in bringing Fedor back any time soon...unless White agrees to fight Fedor...that might bring him on boad...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Business 101 just wonderful? Isn't the back and forth of negotiating wonderful? I'm wondering when the MMA fighters are going to stage their very first strike/walk-out for more money/benefits?

Get Fedor or don't get Fedor; the one who's better at this game of Business/Negotiating will be the winner. Just as long as the fans AND MMA doesn't suffer from this!

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that the answer to "who can really hang with Fedor in the heavyweight division?" was Fabricio Werdum, who couldn't hang with the UFC HW division.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was being talked about nearly a year and a half ago before we saw Fedor age before our eyes and before Cain Velasquez came on the scene. I'd make exactly the opposite argument these days.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cain Velasquez is one bad, bad man. Too bad there are only a few world-class heavyweights out there to compete with.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the point is pretty moot now. Fedor pretty much said he was finished after the stoppage to Silva last weekend. That doesn't change the fact that Dana White is a spoiled baby and UFC is going downhill in a big way; disrespect is commonplace, it is vulgar and crass and seeing the fights is hardly worth putting up with the rest of the garbage. Dana White and the UFC are doing for martial arts, what crack cocaine and gangster rap did for the inner city 25 years ago.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not enirely certain about that.

You can feel about the way that the atheletes act all you want, but it's hard to argue that the skill and talent is far greater now than it's ever been. There is the occassional dud of a card, but by and large the ppv cards have been exciting with some exceptional skill showcased. Add some top champs like GSP and Silva that are someof the best fight athletes of our time and you've got an organization that is far more professional than ever before.

Standardization of the rules, largely due to White and Zuffa has legitimized the sport. That's led to less brawlers and more skilled competitors that are well rounded in multipe diciplines.

Not to shabby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: