Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In point sparring, a good feint is crucial in getting the winning point. One of my favorite is suddenly raising my leading hand, startling the opponent to block high, then to cover the distance, a step-slide fast front kick to the stomach. Another one is lifting my leading leg as if to perform a front kick, the opponent block low as I execute a hook kick across the helmet. For me, I try to use the feint at the beginning of the match, right before the referee yells to fight. The opponent does not know what to expect and I get a free point. Well, nothing is free...but alot of training gives me the upper hand. When I come up with more feints I'll share them. With feints, timing is the key. What is your favorite feint?

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh THANK-YOU!!! I've been wanting tips on feinting...any more you have, I'd really appreciate it!! Cheers pizzaboy!

Lori :pony:

-Unknown-

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, nice - but i wouldn't go doing any feints in a real fight.

I suppose with point sparring or general sparring u might flick your hands up near their head and come in with a thrusting knee or something. I don't usually do point sparring.

Angus

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Attack by deception, especially, is the attack of the master. The master boxer has at his command techniques that bewilder and confuse the opponant, thereby creating many openings. He feints his opponent into "knots." He combines hitting with feints in such a manner that both appear to be the same. He draws his opponent towards him, forcing whatever he desires. Through defensive hitting and judicious movement, he keeps his opponant off balance. The master boxer has the ability to get in close and understands the value of in-fighting. He has so perfected the shift that it is used for attack as well as defense. Finally, he is the master of counter-fighting, for he knows when to attack and when to allow attack. Scientific attack, then, is no simple matter, but requires years of study and practice for its successful use."
Bruce Lee, Tao of Jeet Kune Do, p72

[ This Message was edited by: Slim on 2001-11-07 23:21 ]

Deathcometh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got some nice moves.

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pizzaboy, when you mean feints, do you mean the same thing as fakes? Where I train, we use the term "feint" the same way as boxers, a certain technique that involves shifting your weight to the left or right slightly to avoid a kick or punch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, a feint is not like weaving and bobing to let a punch pass by for you to counter. A feint is more like misdirection, what magicians do. Say a boxer 1 lowers his guard, and sticks his head forward suddenly. The opponent sees that as an open and go for a knock-out. But it was all planned, the moment the opponent strike with the reverse punch, boxer 1 shift to the right, missing the punch, and counters with a hook. The opponent goes down. A feint is a move that startles your opponent as you counter or strike. In class while sparring, get within kicking range, then suddenly shift your weight to your front foot. See what happens, what is the reaction.

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we deffinately use the term differently where I train. We call it a fake, as in faking your opponent into thinking that you're attacking somewhere, then when they lower their guard you attack somewhere else. Or faking by moving your body in a certain direction, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: Cory Reynolds on 2002-02-26 14:14 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Shaolin on 2002-02-28 05:27 ]

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-26 14:13, Cory Reynolds wrote:
I guess we deffinately use the term differently where I train. We call it a fake, as in faking your opponent into thinking that you're attacking somewhere, then when they lower their guard you attack somewhere else. Or faking by moving your body in a certain direction, etc.

Yes that is correctly called a fake. A feint is done with the head.

Be careful with those fakes, the high hand to mid kick is one of the oldest in the book. In Wing Chun we couldn't care less if it's a fake or the real thing - our reaction is the same - we will kick/hit you - if you're in range. That's called a stop-hit.

If you're interested in these types of tactics check into JKD's Indirect Attack and Progressive Indirect Attacks, the latter involves changing the direction of a kick or strike mid-way through the stroke - a little harder to counter.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace: Moy Yat Sifu
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: