Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As time goes on I think you'll see more and more female sensei's.
You'll probably always have more men though as fighting always attracts more male participants.

Sentoka
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Sensei was a lady named Cathy, who taught a style of freestyle karate, based off Zen Do Kai (a big Australian style, under the Bob Jones Corp.)
When I made the switch to Wado a few years later, there were 5 instructors under the chief instructor (who was male). Two of the five were female.

The female instructors were not to be taken lightly. Both of them were fast, smooth, technical beyond comprehension, and just a teensy bit psycho, while still maintaining a smile and a supportive attitude toward all students.

I have quite a few females in my own dojo now, two of which I wouldn't be at all surprised if they become Sensei themselves one day.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 schools in Michigan's Upper Peninsula that have female leads. One is taekwondo, and another is Uechi Ryu. The UP tends to be a little less progressive than a good chunk of the country when it comes to a lot of things, so I was pleased to see that 2 schools were lead by women (there aren't too many schools up here, either.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Female Karate Sensei Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Has anyone had a female Sensei in Karate.

While attending Shotokan not one female student was present.

While in many other styles there were female CI's and students.

Has Karate changed with equality and diversity or is it still a male dominated activity?

Yes one of our Sensei was female when I was a kid taking Matsubayashi Ryu. She was very competent and capable.

I think overwhelmingly it is a male dominated activity. However that is not to take away from the fact that many more females are engaged in the arts these days. I don't think it's an equality issue at all. Being a student of the arts, we are all equal in that we are learning. Being an instructor of the arts is based on the merits of the instructor whether male or female. If you have the knowledge and skill and can use it then I see nothing holding either gender back. It's not equality at all, either you can or you can't.

I think too many jump to judgement these days in that they wish to make everything an even playing field across the board. This will never be the case. There will always be someone faster, stronger, more knowledgeable. Not everyone can get a trophy and not everyone can teach. It's just the way it is. It's not a gender thing. It only becomes a gender thing when someone that can't complains that it's not fair.

The thing is there is nothing fair about combative arts. There is a winner and a loser. The one that is more skilled more often than not is the victor. Gender/race/creed/religion should not be a talking point when talking about the arts. You either can or you can't and it's on your own merit, hard work, knowledge and skill. It's an individual activity and the only one to look at if you find your not up to standards is yourself. No room to blame inability on anyone else or on anything else. It's you and you alone.

Having said this, take a look at TKD or many of the Korean arts. It's around half and half of the few Dojang I've observed.

Yoga (not saying it's a martial art) is dominated by women. Is this an equality issue? I do not believe so. Your interests are your interests. If more boys interests are in MA and more girls interests are in Yoga (just using something I have noticed, certainly not making a sexist statement ) then what is the issue? If girls want to participate in the MA's they can. I see no one holding anyone back, especially these days. In fact I enjoy watching the women fight in the UFC as much if not more so than the men. They are vicious. Great fights!

If the UFC, a sanctioned fighting event, is not holding women back I doubt any Dojo owner is. It's a matter of choice not inequality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: