Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Fictional martial arts...in real life!? Reply with quote

So in past threads I mentioned that my username is based on a fictional style which funny enough in the anime series, himokiri is considered a gimmicky style among minor characters but still effective with solid principle behind it.

Now I am reading old school mail order courses from 50 or 60 years ago and these folks claim "Deadly" fighting styles that you can learn in weeks in the comfort of your home.

Styles such as Yubiwaza or Aicondo as well as super karate and ketsugo.

Don't get me wrong, anyone and everyone has freedom to make their own martial arts style and that is not the issue here. Issue here being that these folks are creating a story behind it and claiming you can fast track it because they are so deadly effective that mastery is around the corner. Curios to know if you guys have been exposed to styles that people claim to be real but there is no actual basis or history behind it other than a marketing ploy?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exposed? Yeah, I'm from those days begone, and as a kid back then, I saw such ads and wondered. Yet, while my thoughts were those of a child, my upbringing quickly dashed those wonderment's away just as fast as I was marveled, if even faster.

Same was not the case with my MA, as it was in my childhood...but even faster were those unfounded thoughts dashed away. This was the case!! Even as a child we were being grounded so steadfastly by Soke and Dai-Soke that those MA idea never ever took roots...we, even as a child, knew that what we were being taught on a daily basis was solid in that it took much time to become sufficiently effective with the MA, and that there was no magic pill or shortcut to learning effectiveness in the MA.

If someone had tried to tell us in the contrary of what we knew was true, we knew that we were being sold bad goods, and quickly dismissed that individual forthwith.

So, I was part of the fortunate ones who never became enchanted with those MA impossibilities. I owe that to my parents, family, Soke, and Dai-Soke.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fictional martial arts...in real life!? Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
So in past threads I mentioned that my username is based on a fictional style which funny enough in the anime series, himokiri is considered a gimmicky style among minor characters but still effective with solid principle behind it.

Now I am reading old school mail order courses from 50 or 60 years ago and these folks claim "Deadly" fighting styles that you can learn in weeks in the comfort of your home.

Styles such as Yubiwaza or Aicondo as well as super karate and ketsugo.

Don't get me wrong, anyone and everyone has freedom to make their own martial arts style and that is not the issue here. Issue here being that these folks are creating a story behind it and claiming you can fast track it because they are so deadly effective that mastery is around the corner. Curios to know if you guys have been exposed to styles that people claim to be real but there is no actual basis or history behind it other than a marketing ploy?

I'm from that era and a bit beyond. I remember adds like this. One that comes to mind was Count Dante claiming to be the deadliest man alive and to teach the deadliest art back in the 60's and 70's. There were many back then who claimed this or that.

Until someone figures out how to shoot fire balls from their finger tips or laser beams from their eyes, all of the techniques and ways to fight have pretty much been established. Sure there are twists but the techniques are the same. There are just so many ways to punch. Having said that I am not much on fantasy so I dismissed them as quickly as I saw them.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only exposure to styles like this are those I've seen in internet searches. Nothing in person, which is probably a good thing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
My only exposure to styles like this are those I've seen in internet searches. Nothing in person, which is probably a good thing.

That is a good thing, Brian because you've been spared that type of unfortunate events, both on and off the floor. For the events that I've been exposed to at the SKKA/Hombu have been unsettling quite a lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: