Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, any body here have suggestions for a Man that wants to fight for a living? I am not really sure about it thou. I love to fight and I am ready to fight for a living.

Here is a list bad and Good:

Bad: 1) Can't even feed my self because of the money

2) Parents dont' want me to fight

3) So hard to find the right training place and transportion is hard.

Good: 1) I love to fight

2) I want to fight

3) I have to fight

Any body here really want to do somthing but just not sure about it?

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to start my own forum .I have the money to buy domain and host but It will need a lot of attention.
Any thoughts?

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother. Unless you have a solid site to back up the forums there seems little point. I know Karateforums goes against the norm in that respect but it has kickboxing.com backing it up and it's also part of the "iFroggy network". Forums are cool but you need a plan to keep them active, you should have some original content to attract the sorts of people you wish to participate in the forums, and preferably a good design and domain combo too.

As for jobs... I'm not sure exactly what the question you're asking is... but bodyguarding seems to be the most popular job that requires lots of fighting skill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a ambitious man MMMMMoooohhahahahhaha I am not looking to be a bodyguard, I am looking for fighting on the ring and being a Champion. :lol:mmoooooooooohahahahahahah

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own The iFroggy Network.

Well, I won't discourage you to start a competing site. I just won't love it. Just kidding

But, seriously, you don't always need content to back anything, discussion sites do well if you can get dedicated users as I have so many of them. 5 Dedicated Users that want to see a site grow can make it huge.

In my case, I started with a quality product, this forum is good looking and functional as well as well run (or at least I think so ). Then, I have the opportunity, because of the high level of quality here, to get in contact with a Top Notch site such as KickBoxing.com and come to a partnership to gain more users for both sites.

Anyway, just some random advice for you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also add that topics like Martial arts are probably easier as stand alone forums than other topics due to the lack of good sites on the topic. The majority of Karate sites, for instance, are just a few words and directions to get to the dojo or "shops" where you can buy videos and the like. It is unusual to find decent forums at such sites so if you want karateforums this is one of the most logical places. Plus, as patrick says, this place is bundled well, phpbb is good, the graphics are nice, the core members intelligent and the domain nice and easy.

If you were starting stand alone forums on a subject like 'Nintendo' you would have a much harder time as there are so many good forums with great sites backing them up you'd struggle to find people with a real reason to go with your paticular forums.

My thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the info.I have reconsidered and thought not to.If I had done It would not have been a competing site but a sit with links to this.I would never stab somebody in the back like that.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. It would not be backstabbing. Anyone that can... and wants to can create their own website. I understand this and have no problem with it.

Dark Monkey,

I agree about it being tougher to establish yourself in a well charted topic, but I still believe that a quality well run website will be able to do so.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the question...
MuayThaiTB, if you want to fight for a living, you have a tough road ahead of you. You better be skilled and talented, you better find a good coach and you better find a good promoter. Unfortunately, fighting isn't just about fighting anymore, it's about marketing and image.
Also, you better have a back-up plan, just in-case you get injured and can't fight again. A good education will help you with this, get a degree or certification for some sort of well-paying proffession just in-case your dreams don't pan out, or you are forced out. Other things to consider about proffessional fighting:
1. Health insurance
2. Retirement plan
3. Back-up proffession
4. Marketing
5. Trainers/ coach
6. Equipment/ training expenses

Think things through.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ThaiBoxerKen, I know I could count on you for the advice

Well, A coach is very expensive. My question is , will a camp trainer or school be by my side ( the coner man, for free that is ) because I am fighting for there school?

Also, personal trianer is very expensive and no way could I afford one untill I start wining fights. So, I heard that some tv or magizens could give you a free coach but the catch is that they are the only or first ones to interview you.

I think,, no, I KNOW I have the skills to make it so that is not a problem. So I just need to know those things.

Hey, thiaboxerken, do you own the gym that you said a champion come out of?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: