Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Fight Quest Reply with quote

"Fight Quest is a television show on the Discovery Channel that had a preview episode air on December 28, 2007 and began airing weekly on January 4, 2008. The show followed Jimmy Smith and Doug Anderson as they travel around the world learning different styles of martial arts, spending five days training with notable masters of the styles they are studying, before exhibiting what they have learned in a final demonstration and/or fight. According to quotes by the hosts,[1] the show was mostly unscripted and a true challenge. " Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Quest) First Paragraph.

I hope this isn't a repeat. Please do not post any place to watch this show illegally.

Has anyone watched this show. I loved it. The 2 of them are very respectful of the teachers and fellow students of each styles they try out.

Last edited by liger on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wasp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the show since there were a lot of martial arts I didn't know much about on it.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great show! Wish it was still around!

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something I'll have to get into.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the martial arts travelogue genre, it is, in my opinion one of the better of most recent efforts. My only immediate complaint is that I feel the training shown is very much of the extreme variety, and thus serves to distort the actual experience of engaging in those martial arts. However, their approach of individually training under different masters for five days does give some depth and scope so there are advantages and disadvantages.

However, it still has the one element of such shows that irk me; talking to the camera while training. I just do not see why they cannot just focus on the use of the voice over, and show the training uninterrupted.

I would say that it is superior to Human Weapon, a similar show released around the same, in that both presenters appear knowledgeable and enthused about the matter, and also that it explores less mainstream disciplines. However, I still have a soft-spot for where it all started with Deadly Arts, and also of more recent shows I feel Samurai Spirit is very much the best to be found.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
Of the martial arts travelogue genre, it is, in my opinion one of the better of most recent efforts. My only immediate complaint is that I feel the training shown is very much of the extreme variety, and thus serves to distort the actual experience of engaging in those martial arts. However, their approach of individually training under different masters for five days does give some depth and scope so there are advantages and disadvantages.

However, it still has the one element of such shows that irk me; talking to the camera while training. I just do not see why they cannot just focus on the use of the voice over, and show the training uninterrupted.

I would say that it is superior to Human Weapon, a similar show released around the same, in that both presenters appear knowledgeable and enthused about the matter, and also that it explores less mainstream disciplines. However, I still have a soft-spot for where it all started with Deadly Arts, and also of more recent shows I feel Samurai Spirit is very much the best to be found.

That is true that it can get annoying that they talk to the camera yet think of the time it was released. That was the popular thing to do on these kind of shows. I personally like it it makes you feel kind of like you are there right next to them.

As for the types of training this seems to have a lot of original type of training like that may have been done before it crossed the ocean type of thing. That's just how I feel about it tho.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to buy the show from amazon here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KEGR70/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0G7RC7PMTB314J24MP1G&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

May have to ask this from the wife at Christmas

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liger wrote:
That is true that it can get annoying that they talk to the camera yet think of the time it was released. That was the popular thing to do on these kind of shows. I personally like it it makes you feel kind of like you are there right next to them.

Yes, there was a whole rash of really quite similar programmes and then...nothing! It seems that if you have one reasonably successful show it get imitated to death and then the scene is dead in a year. We could really do with some good MA programming, the BBC have done nothing much since Mind, Body and Kick [rear end] Moves. There was a show where they took some "challenging" youths to China for Shaolin style training but it was identical training every week and it got very boring very quickly. Fortunately TV has run out of cash in the UK so old programmes come around again fairly often.

[Blimus, the Equus subgenus Asinus gets flagged by the censor but I'm sure you know what I mean by "rear end"]

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodo Komodo wrote:
liger wrote:

Yes, there was a whole rash of really quite similar programmes and then...nothing! It seems that if you have one reasonably successful show it get imitated to death and then the scene is dead in a year. We could really do with some good MA programming, the BBC have done nothing much since Mind, Body and Kick [rear end] Moves. There was a show where they took some "challenging" youths to China for Shaolin style training but it was identical training every week and it got very boring very quickly. Fortunately TV has run out of cash in the UK so old programmes come around again fairly often.

[Blimus, the Equus subgenus Asinus gets flagged by the censor but I'm sure you know what I mean by "rear end"]

Yeah, I hear you. I wish these idol / talent shows would die already. That has to due were i work so im complete sick of them. I would like some more fight quest if they keep up the diffrent locations and diffrent training.

Just look at the Anthony Bordane show is a cooking version of this show. Yet it came first.

I wish the martial arts were more popular and was able to keep interesting to keep us all entertained.

Wasp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. we basically want a So You Think You Can Mawashi Geri? Martial Artist Idol? Britain's Got Kime?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: