Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

blood talon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you guys tell me what do you use more in a fight, your legs or hands, or is it even?.or does it depend on the karate style

p.s
(DOES ANYONE KNW ANY KYOKUSHIN SCHOOLS IN TORONTO).

THNX

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball great Yogi Beara said ,"hit it where the aint." Makes a lot of sense. If they want to give you something try and take it.

In a perfect world I would like to land a big side kick and finish the game. However its not perfect and I find myself using my hands 75% of the time or more. The kicks I do throw are low kicks or even sweeps.

Its one thing to change to do what the attacker gives you but NEVER try and fight a style you are not confortable doing. I mean if you are a boxer don't try and tackle a BJJ guy because he won't box.

The situation will always tell you what you can and can not do. We all have a game plan but the best laid plans don't always work.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, Okinawan Karate generally seems to be mostly hands dooing the blocking, controlling, and opening, while the legs are used every once in a while to get a really hard strike in.

I find myself using my hands a lot against most opponents, unless it's something along the lines of Muay Thai or TKD, in which case I use long-range kicks and try to find an opening.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use my hand most. I think I could probably use a few more fast kicks when sparring... Whatever will get through an opening in the opponents defense.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my legs more than my hands for the simple fact t hat my legs are longer and stronger and for me just as accurate.

Pete

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im typically a leg fighter because my legs are really fast and powerful. The last fight I was in was only one kick. lol He tried to kick me, I caught his foot and kicked him in the groin. He fell to the ground and stayed there for a couple of minutes, curled up in a ball, of course.

Deirou Kuzan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I like using the legs more, it's more fun! And my legs are much stronger then my arms.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My style uses a lot of grappling as it has a lot of jututsu in it so I would probobly use strikes a few kicks and get them in a hold and then ask them if they would want to run away or get their legs broken.

BlueDragon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to let them know about my kicks until I have an oppurtunity to put them down with one. A not so pleasent surprise.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, if the person I'm up against is better than me with their hands then I'll try to stay distant and throw kicks. If they're better with their legs I'll usually step close and throw punches. If they're better at both I tend to go for stand-up grappling with traps, elbows, knees and a take down before running away.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: