Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Anbu Alex
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujinkan Taijutsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karate kid 1 wrote:
SWEEP THEIR LEGS AND WHILE ON THE FLOOR STAMP ON THEIR STOMACH BUT REMEMBER BOXERS HAVE SPEED BUT WE HAVE THE FLEXIBILITY HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL

Boxers have rock hard abs stepping on stomach wont work unless you aim for the sterdum to knock the wind out of them.

Justfulwardog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Boxing/Ryu Kyu Kempo/Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a boxer that shifted to kickboxing. The single most thing that screwed me up was having three target areas instead of two. What I mean is in boxing I had upper (head),and mid (body). All of a sudden I had to pay attention to three target areas, as the lower (legs) became a reality.

Not many kickboxers are proficient with their hands, so I usually had an advantage while in punching range. Except when I sparred a really good local kickboxer. I got him against the ropes and he unloaded with low, high, and mid, shots. I didn't know what hit me. I was completely taken off my game. He push me off with ease, and escaped. He was about twenty pounds lighter than me too. So if you mix it up, you will confuse the boxer and take him out of his game plan.

I don't think it's a very good idea to try to just stay away and kick, because boxers train to be highly mobile. They can close the distance fast.

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

h2whoa
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, goju-ryu,Judo,TKD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick their legs out, a majority of boxers have quite weak legs, they buy into the idea that size will slow yiou down so they tend to be a bit unproportioned!!
Ground fight if you know how, take them down and get them in a jikoku jime!! They never train for that kind of stuff, I dout a boxer even knows what a break fall is, so if the throw doesnt knock him out cold the chokehold will!!

Tef
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo, Wu-Tang Sword, Muay Thai, Kechwa MA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started boxing and the legs are just as worked on in training as the arms. Yes, the arms are the only weapons of the boxer, but the legs have to be strong to a) hold that boxing stance for so long and b) twist the body's weight into a punch.

Still, wail on a boxer's legs rather than their face or stomach and you'll probably be okay. Also, you can't work out the throat, eyes or solar plexus to be rock hard. And a good hit to a pressure point on the arms will cut his or her game short pretty quickly.

elbows_and_knees
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: thai boxing, grappling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h2whoa wrote:
Kick their legs out, a majority of boxers have quite weak legs, they buy into the idea that size will slow yiou down so they tend to be a bit unproportioned!!

that's not true at all... I know this is old, but if you still post here, where did you hear this?

Quote:
Ground fight if you know how, take them down and get them in a jikoku jime!! They never train for that kind of stuff, I dout a boxer even knows what a break fall is, so if the throw doesnt knock him out cold the chokehold will!!

too broad of an assumption. how do you know he doesn't cross train? many stand up TMA are hopelessly lost on the ground too, hence the need to crosstrain. Not only that, but you have to get close enough to throw him - He very well may KO you before you get that close.

elbows_and_knees
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: thai boxing, grappling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef wrote:
Still, wail on a boxer's legs rather than their face or stomach and you'll probably be okay. Also, you can't work out the throat, eyes or solar plexus to be rock hard. And a good hit to a pressure point on the arms will cut his or her game short pretty quickly.

I disagree with that. The basic boxing stance - chin down, hands up. The throat is very well protected. pressure points are too small to worry about effectively, especially if you have gloves on. However, repeated punches to the arms will make them heavy eventually, exposing their head. The boxer's head is very mobile - strikes to the eyes are hard as well.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one guy said and I agree.. I would not fight a pro -boxer if I could avoid it. And I would run 190 mph if the boxer is like Tyson.
They receive tons of hits every day..and they earn their bread fighting.The 创eye of the tiger 创 do exist. A real boxer trains every day....about 6 hours including boxing , runing , and lifting weights.
A guy who practice martial arts...usually do not train more than 2 or 3 times a week..Even if you do train every day , but doing this for hobby , self , defense , etc...is not the same.
If you are a pro martial artist , instructor, MMA , or kick boxer is different...you may fight the boxer using elements he does not handle.
I would (try to) take him down with wrestling keys , or with very low kicks ( some one did they say already).

superfighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, muay tai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to youtube and search for Mike Bernado vs Butterbean.
okay butterbean isnt the greatest boxer that ever lived but he wasnt a slouch by no means
this is how you take out a boxer

superfighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, muay tai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61HkGN6CDc
in fact just go there

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow_Warrior wrote:
As one guy said and I agree.. I would not fight a pro -boxer if I could avoid it. And I would run 190 mph if the boxer is like Tyson.
They receive tons of hits every day..and they earn their bread fighting.The 创eye of the tiger 创 do exist. A real boxer trains every day....about 6 hours including boxing , runing , and lifting weights.
A guy who practice martial arts...usually do not train more than 2 or 3 times a week..Even if you do train every day , but doing this for hobby , self , defense , etc...is not the same.
If you are a pro martial artist , instructor, MMA , or kick boxer is different...you may fight the boxer using elements he does not handle.
I would (try to) take him down with wrestling keys , or with very low kicks ( some one did they say already).

Very good points. Very well put.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: