Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go for kicks boxers generally dont use there feet much so that would knock him off for a little bit

Mistassailant5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kung Fu, Muay Thai, and Aikido

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOW KICKS. Against one of my friends who is a boxer a destructive low kick to the ankle is so helpful. Once you take out a leg their speed dramatically decreases. Another suggestion would be trying to hit right in between the shoulder and collarbone (there is a small soft area there) and behind it is a nerve cluster so if you hit that with a powerful spear or nukite you can essentially take out is lead arm.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend:
1. stay out of punching range
2. focus on kicking and grappling attacks

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pretend that I'm also a boxer. Then I'd get in up close and personal, grab on to their clothes and not allow them any room to transfer weight into their punches.

Then I'd sweep or throw them. Then punch them while they're on the ground, which in my books is the best way to punch a boxer. Yeah, their hands are that dangerous when they're standing.

ThaiBoxerGene
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Batman-Style KSF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
I'd pretend that I'm also a boxer. Then I'd get in up close and personal, grab on to their clothes and not allow them any room to transfer weight into their punches.

Wouldn't the second statement totally void the first part of this paragraph?.....just saying..

Anyways.
The most applicable maneuver without thinking too much on the situation considering the adrenaline and heart rate speeding up out of your veins would cause your mind to be all over the place, is to merely move like a boxer and MOVE IN CIRCLES, NOT IN LINES.

It's simple, if he is leading with the left, you circle towards your right, his left.
Why you ask? simple, the angle is extremely awkward.
If he jabs at you, even if you are tagged, the angle in which you are moving would cause his fist to follow, cutting a good portion of strength in his strike. It still hurts, don't be a baby.
Also, this allows you to be safe from his/her right hand's straight or hook. He'll/she'll look like a pretzel if he/she tries. It also allows you time to see their use of their right hand at all times. It they wish to hit you with a right hook, keep circling their left. It'll be a never ending chase.

Moving in this manner allows him to be open. If he/she is tossing a jab and you wish to check his/her dome, his/her shoulder will only be able to cover the jaw, leaving their temple open for a good ring.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take them down and choke them! Was it obvious to anyone I was going to say that? lol

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't chimed in on this one yet. In fact, I went back and double checked just in case .

Anyway, judging by the primary post I'm guessing we're talking less about actually "defending" oneself in a street confrontation with a boxer and more about working with them on the mat. It's a distincion that I think we should make, because a good boxer would make me disengage and escalate to a weapon real fast in a live situation.

Ok, that out of the way, JJN kind of beat me to the punch. There is no way I'd trade with a boxer or work tactics anywhere near his comfort zone. Shoot, work the angles and take the fight to the ground. Proceed from there.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In training, practice controlling range to keep them out of their comfort zone.

Then, ask them to work slowly and easy with you in a boxing range fight. It's best to learn each area from someone who is superior at it. To spend the entire time avoiding a weak area would be detrimental to your growth as a fighter.

But yes, in a defense situation, hit him with an iron or something.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something people need to keep in mind is that your average well-trained boxer would be very difficult in any kind of fight, irregardless of what kind of tactics you use. It's my personal opinion (and one I've seen proven time and time again) that the average martial artist will have extreme difficulty fighting your average boxer, some to the point where they are very outclassed.

In order to really analyze how to fight a boxer, you first have to realize what strengths a well-trained boxer has.

1) They're going to be in good condition for fighting and able to fight for an extended period of time. Most martial artists sadly aren't in the kind of shape the average boxer is in. Physical conditioning plays a huge part in any fight.

2) Their footwork and balance are going to be good, allowing them to run circles around you if your footwork isn't up to par. You can have the most powerful punch in the world, but if your footwork sucks you won't be able to hit diddly squat. The average martial artist tends to have sluggish footwork in comparison.

3) Naturally they will have fast, powerful punches that they throw in well-honed combinations. We may be used to fast and powerful, but a lot of arts are too focused on what I like to call "sniping": throwing out one technique at a time in the hopes that if it strikes it will end the fight then and there. In comparison, combinations are like 3-round bursts from an assault rifle: one of them's bound to hit.

4) They will be physically and mentally tough, used to injuries that will stop the average person from continuing, and be conditioned to take blows from another person. This is also an important part that is often overlooked: a lot of these guys aren't going to crumple to the ground from just one shot. Some of them have taken brutal beatings yet still fought on.

5) Finally, they are constantly training a small selection of techniques against a resisting opponent and in realistic fashion (i.e. padwork and sparring). They are doing what some martial arts have seen to forgotten is an integral part of fighting: focusing your training on actual fighting.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just striking then the benefit a martial artist has is increased range due to the legs being allowed.

Study Macheda's fight style and range of movement to beat the boxer.

However depends on what type of boxer - boxer or fighter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: