Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Fighting Black Kings Reply with quote

Is the movie Fighting Black Kings the same movie as The Strongest Karate? I've seen parts of Strongest Karate, although not in English. I think they're 2 different movies with the same basic formula - 70's Kyokushin training and competition.

Some places in the Internet say they're the same movie, just a different title for Europe/Japan. If it says so on the Internet, it must be true lol.

I'm going to meet Charles Martin in the near future, so I thought it would be cool to see the movie.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially the same film, in terms of footage and being a kyokushinkaikan propaganda device. However, Fighting Black Kings places greater emphasis on the american fighters, and includes additional footage regarding them. The Strongest karate conversely has a similar bias towards the Japanese competitors.

Mostly, they are the same film, but edited differently according to the differing theatrical values of the U.S and Japanese studios.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm going to buy it from Amazon instant video. $7 or so doesn't seem too steep.

I really liked what I saw from The Strongest Karate, even though it was in Japanese with no subtitles. Trying to find that one too, although it's pretty elusive.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it from Amazon Instant Video for about $5. Really cool movie.

The Strongest Karate movie I saw was part 2. I think the original Strongest Karate is the same as Fighting Black Kings because Kings doesn't even say it during the movie; it say Strongest Karate in the opening segments.

But anyway...

Met Charles Martin at a Seido workout. Great guy. Doesn't look anything like he did in the movie though. Met Tadashi Nakamura as well at the same event. Great guy as well.

At one point in Kings, Nakamura, Sigeru Oyama, and one other Kyokushin legend who escapes my mind right now (Ashihara?) were teaching together at the same dojo with Willie Williams, Charles Martin, and William Oliver as students. Imagine being in that dojo at that time?

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure part 2 was made after Nakamura left Kyokushin, taking Martin and Oliver with him as his students. The minimal footage of them in part 2 has to be because of this. Willie Williams is pretty much the only one of them featured in part 2.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched it on You tube, cool film and quite a neat historic piece on that period...... Loved the soundtrack, "chika wah wah".........

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do travel to the US each January, actually was in NY state this past January, but my "ride" was too nervous to take me into the Honbu. I may have an opportunity this coming January as I may spend a few nights at Long Island. Big problem is getting in or out of that area at that time of year...............

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too bad. There could be a train you could take into the city, depending on where you are and how much free time you have.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to fly in and out, max 3 days in the area...... will have to see closer to the time. Would be awesome to train with Kaicho! And the obligatory "Student and teacher" dojo photo....

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to the honbu or Johshin Honzan (Westchester dojo), but plan on going in the near future. I met him at the Go-En preview workout a few weeks ago.

I introduced myself after the workout and told him who my CI was. He told a classmate to take a pic, and when he noticed I wasn't smiling, he yells out "Hey Shuseki Shihan Don, JR says he's going to take over your dojo when you're dead!" I had this 'what did he just say?' laugh on my face. He then turns and says "Got you to smile."

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that stood out when I first saw him was how small of a guy he is. I'm 5'8, for reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: